Risk or possibilty of someone hacking into your WiFi capable Cam

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V2
I've been reading about hackers taking control of cars through the cars WiFi connection. In some tests the car's steering and brakes where taken control off.

I wonder if the Dash Cams with WiFi capability (and with OBDII connections) are susceptible to hackers.
Is there some type of security settings or privacy settings available in the camera setup? Is anyone even thinking about this stuff?

And computer experts are saying our homes are venerable too, if we have wifi connected thermostats and lights and door locks and ...

just food for thought

Well, if it's on the Internet....that means it's true! My guess is that anything with wifi can be hacked. I know people have done this with computers, cell phones, home security systems...most every camera....never heard of a dashcam though. I would say whatever security feature you have on a dashcam...someone could find their way around it...even if it's who made it. Someone would have to have a wealth of knowledge to do this and if they do, I'm sure they're going after more relevant targets.

My guess is that anything with wifi can be hacked.

if man can make it man can break it, whether or not they could do anything useful or not though is another thing

I guess you could go war driving with the Blackvue app looking at other peoples cameras assuming standard passwords that many never bother to change, how interesting that is though is questionable

I dont use wifi if i can do without it, i do have my home CCTV on a wifi router ( no internet connection ) so i can see my ameras on my tablet.
And i have no problem with that as none of my cameras film anything inside my apartment where i roam butt naked at times :p

Once in a while i also use my smartphone as a AP for my tablet in the car, this will stop the day i can ditch my current phone, and i am looking forward to that day.

I would never go on any WIFI i dont know.

I do use pretty extensive passwords for the wifi i do use, m not the kind of person that have Admin for a username and admin for PW on my routers / NVR / cameras / phone.

A lot of ppl have been asking for encryption on dashcams, and i do think thats possible soon.
if not on camera itself i assume that if you make a camera that support a USB drive for storage you can get those with native encryption.

I would think all cameras that use OBD to display overlay data only have read access so it would be really hard if impossible to control car systems.
Of course it all starts with you so make sure to either disable Wi-Fi when not needed and change the default credentials.

I've been reading about hackers taking control of cars through the cars WiFi connection. In some tests the car's steering and brakes where taken control off.

I wonder if the Dash Cams with WiFi capability (and with OBDII connections) are susceptible to hackers.
Is there some type of security settings or privacy settings available in the camera setup? Is anyone even thinking about this stuff?

And computer experts are saying our homes are venerable too, if we have wifi connected thermostats and lights and door locks and ...

just food for thought

dashxplode2.jpg

Somebody got all upset when I posted the above spoof image I created in Photoshop to the Pics That Make You Smile thread a year ago, so if anyone seeing this is suffering from a clinical humor impairment, understand that it's just satire. :)

Edit: Yes! Tin Foil might be just the thing!

I would be more bothered when they hack my car and make it do all manner of stuff, actually with the sudden rise of cars that vier off into oncoming traffic for no reason i am sure some hidden agenda is allready set in motion.

And meanwhile Cops is wiping all my prepaid cards of every dime on them :)
http://kgou.org/post/new-front-civil-forfeiture-devices-seize-funds-prepaid-cards

And the FBI wants my browser history.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/fbi-now-wants-access-to-internet-browsing-history-without-a-warrant/

And if i doubleclick on the shortcut for the TOR browser on my computer i am automatic turned into a crook, and targeted for all manner of investigations.

Why is it allways the fjew that ruin it for everyone else, and why do lawmakers keep allowing for this to go on.

Last edited:
99% of what is reported (about car hacking) in mainstream media is more or less fiction. It is not that simple.

Somebody got all upset when I posted the above spoof image I created in Photoshop to the Pics That Make You Smile thread a year ago, so if anyone seeing this is suffering from a clinical humor impairment, understand that it's just satire. :)

some people think they're the fun police, how anyone could not see the humor in that is illogical to me, never underestimate stupidity though I guess

I some time give the AP on my phone funny names to mess with ppl. if you have a drug dealer living near buy try to rename your wifi to FBI surveillance van or somthing simmilar.

I undestand a lot of ppl have a acute awareness to wifi APs around them, personally i dont give a damn

For a while I had one of my networks named 'NSA-Web-Surveillance-Center'. :D

Back