Roll bar mount - U clamp & stainless plate

RichardL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SJ5000
Experimenting with this Mini 0801 camera on my GBS Zero & copied an idea on a simple mount seen elsewhere:

IMG_3750.JPG

AMBA0196.JPG

http://richards-gbs-zero.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/camera.html

Too wet to try outside yet; + planning some simple mods to protect the lens & make it splash proof. Not pictured - I'll run a USB cable into the mount for power.

Good little camera though very discrete.

Video to follow when the weather clears up a little,
Waterproofing when parts arrive from Ebay;

(apologies for the double post - this is also in the Mini 0801 UK mounts section but possibly should be here instead?)

Last edited:
Weather cheered up today so took some footage; This is edited down to 720p

Still some work to do on the camera position; right now the windscreen cuts right through the road/horizon vanishing point. Good start though:

Hi GJHS - re lens protection thanks - yes; seen that thread & got some of those - well non polarising and just straight glass - but thats the intention along with some basic weatherproofing and a baffle (read tape) over the forward facing mic to reduce some wind buffeting.

Outstanding wheels! Gotta see that car. be sure to post in the What car do you drive? in the Off-topic forum.

If u like older cars, I'm installing my DCs in 3 oldies from the '60s.
See in the General section>
2 Finevu DCs p/car + 4 cars = Big headache
u might want to think about lowering the audio in post-production when the car is roaring down the road. Don't remove the wind-noise entirely as it adds to the sensation of speed.
I'm running 2 identical cams front & rear & I delete the rear audio strip when combining the views. Even in a hardtop, the windnoise is loud in the rear cam

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a go at the prototype rain cover for the camera today:

IMG_3756.JPG

IMG_3754.JPG

A little test footage showing how the picture degrades when shot through the acrylic box:

Still just a work in progress,

Details and some test pictures/video here: http://richards-gbs-zero.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/camera-waterproofing-prototype.html

Waiting on some UV/Polarizing filters to arrive then will re-work - the view through acrylic isnt bad, but I suspect it will scratch really easily and spoil the footage.

I'm intending on a road trip at Easter so want to use the camera both in its natural form as a security/gps etc, but also to get some driving footage good enough as a record of the trip; hence the messing about with custom mounts/cases.

Waterproofing - trying another approach - I ordered a go-pro U/V and CPL setup - it needs a little adjustment to avoid vignetting and the adaptor fitting around the lens turning down a little promising though:

$_1.JPG

This is a nice 2 part set all aluminium with separate adaptor rings and screw in filters - it just stands a little far out from the lens on the 0801

Hi Richard, Just seen thread, I am trying to accomplish a similar issue, I want to fix a mobius camera to the inside of a rally and track car. After seeing your idea for the exhaust mount it looks like it will work perfectly.
One quick question - how did you fix the camera to the metal strip?

It was using a sticky pad '3m' sort - just stuck on.

I saw an example too where someone drilled a couple of small holes in the plate and mounted the camera with cable ties - that might also work well.

Lots of credit given to '3m dual lock' on this forum too - like velcro but rock solid - I've not used that, but worth a search.

Last edited:
As much as I love the car, I wouldn't want to drive from Kent to Scotland in it. Great camera mounting though. :)

Final bracket (before Scotland at Easter) & test drive this morning:

Shake is acceptable, probably dropping the idea of waterproofing it - I may just KISS and not film in the wet.
IMG_3790.JPG

Details here http://richards-gbs-zero.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/camera-mount-protective-lens.html

I prefer this view, while you can't see the front wheel arches any more its much more a drivers eye view..

Have you seen the JooVuu waterproof case for the Mobius cam? If you would consider switching cameras, it would solve two issues: heat and waterproofness. It attaches via a standard tripod mount.
https://joovuu.com/gb/home/103-mobius-waterproof-case.html

I saw the mobius case - yes... not yet though;

Its a group of 5-6 of us 'planning' to travel around Scotland at easter - the big test for the cars & cameras; so I'll use that as the Camera shakedown and worst case if I don't get any footage some of the others will.

I've got to manage best part of 200 miles to get to the start point in Nottingham; Might need a sweep stake to see which cars make it to which stage

In the end I just mounted the min801 without any protection, first results, this is 720p so I could get around 5 hours of footage per day on my car club road trip:

Visit Scotland!!!

Back