Rove R2-4K Dual

Vortex Radar

Reaction score
Country
United States
So Rove makes some popular fake 4K dashcams, the R2-4K and R2-4K Pro that use the 2K Sony Starvis IMX335. They just released a new 2CH version, the R2-4K Dual ($199) that uses a 2K Starvis 2 IMX675 up front and a Galaxy Core GC2053 1080p rear sensor. Unfortunately they're marketing this one as a 4K dashcam too.

Rove R2-4K Dual, Front.jpg

Rove R2-4K Dual, Rear.jpg

Rove R2-4K Dual, Items in box.jpg

I'll do a full review in the future, but I've already done some initial testing and videos last week I can share.

First up, here's some daytime sample footage:

I haven't done any nighttime testing yet, but looking at some daytime license plate comparisons, it starts to fall apart compared to the A229 Plus that also uses the same IMX675 and gets pretty decisively beat out in clarity by the A229 Pro which is a real 4K dashcam.

Rove R2-4K Dual, A229 Plus, A229 Pro license plate comparison 1.jpg

Rove R2-4K Dual, A229 Plus, A229 Pro license plate comparison 2.jpg

I also noticed that while the fake 4K video file it produces is 30 fps, the video file itself is captured at 25fps so you get a 5 real frames and then a duplicated 6th frame to "stretch" the 25fps video into a 30fps container.

HDR is on by default and can be turned off. No AutoHDR option.

As for parking mode, it's got a couple options.

It offers a buffered motion detection & G-sensor option. It records a little bit before motion is detected (~1 sec) which is welcome, but only for the front cam. The collision-only option has a 10 sec delay for the dashcam to wake up and begin recording. Timelapse can record front and rear and then quickly switch to normal recording when it detects an impact.

I also like that it gives visual and spoken notifications of impacts detected when parked, but if you don't hit okay and clear the warning, it won't continue recording while you resume driving. It really wants you to clear that notification, heh.

Parking mode requires a hardwire cable that handles the voltage cutoff options. Same hardwire cable as the 1CH R2-4K's. Same thing with the CPL.

Here's a look through some of its settings:

As for some early impressions, I've been thinking about how the R2-4K Pro compares to the A229 Plus and A229 Pro. Not sure if I should compare it to the 2K or 4K version. Here's a few ideas off the top of my head:

Pros:
  • User friendly on-screen process when you set up your dashcam
  • OTA firmware updates via the app
  • Notifications after impact detected while parked
  • Comes with both a doublestick tape mount and suction cup mount
  • GPS is built into the dashcam instead of the mount
  • Lower price
Cons:
  • More fake 4K BS
  • Front cam captures at only 25fps when in fake 4K mode
  • Parking mode motion detection doesn't work on the rear cam
  • Impact detected notification prevents recording while driving until alert is cleared
  • Lower quality rear 1080p sensor instead of a good rear 2K sensor

Last edited:
So Rove makes some popular fake 4K dashcams, the R2-4K and R2-4K Pro that use the 2K Sony Starvis IMX335. They just released a new 2CH version, the R2-4K Dual ($199) that uses a 2K Starvis 2 IMX675 up front and a Galaxy Core GC2053 1080p rear sensor. Unfortunately they're marketing this one as a 4K dashcam too.

View attachment 73336

View attachment 73337

View attachment 73338

I'll do a full review in the future, but I've already done some initial testing and videos last week I can share.

First up, here's some daytime sample footage:

I haven't done any nighttime testing yet, but looking at some daytime license plate comparisons, it starts to fall apart compared to the A229 Plus that also uses the same IMX675 and gets pretty decisively beat out in clarity by the A229 Pro which is a real 4K dashcam.

View attachment 73341

View attachment 73342

I also noticed that while the fake 4K video file it produces is 30 fps, the video file itself is captured at 25fps so you get a 5 real frames and then a duplicated 6th frame to "stretch" the 25fps video into a 30fps container.

HDR is on by default and can be turned off. No AutoHDR option.

As for parking mode, it's got a couple options.

It offers a buffered motion detection & G-sensor option. It records a little bit before motion is detected (~1 sec) which is welcome, but only for the front cam. The collision-only option has a 10 sec delay for the dashcam to wake up and begin recording. Timelapse can record front and rear and then quickly switch to normal recording when it detects an impact.

I also like that it gives visual and spoken notifications of impacts detected when parked, but if you don't hit okay and clear the warning, it won't continue recording while you resume driving. It really wants you to clear that notification, heh.

Parking mode requires a hardwire cable that handles the voltage cutoff options. Same hardwire cable as the 1CH R2-4K's. Same thing with the CPL.

Here's a look through some of its settings:

As for some early impressions, I've been thinking about how the R2-4K Pro compares to the A229 Plus and A229 Pro. Not sure if I should compare it to the 2K or 4K version. Here's a few ideas off the top of my head:

Pros:
  • User friendly on-screen process when you set up your dashcam
  • OTA firmware updates via the app
  • Notifications after impact detected while parked
  • Comes with both a doublestick tape mount and suction cup mount
  • GPS is built into the dashcam instead of the mount
  • Lower price
Cons:
  • More fake 4K BS
  • Front cam captures at only 25fps when in fake 4K mode
  • Parking mode motion detection doesn't work on the rear cam
  • Impact detected notification prevents recording while driving until alert is cleared
  • Lower quality rear 1080p sensor instead of a good rear 2K sensor
Oh boy, same image sensors front and back as the 70mai A510 I'm having a look at now (*cough, no capacitor*). Ridiculous they're marketing it as 4k too. You're doing god's work here Ariel.

I think it should be compared to the A229 Plus, but even then that's a better overall package by a country mile. Seems to me they've just taken the parts off the shelf, slapped them together without any regard for image processing and just see if it sticks.

No dashcam is perfect, but when there's promise in a product yet such poor implementation (or laziness from a manufacturer), that's what bothers me the most. Wish they'd stop putting the dog **** GalaxyCore sensors for rear sensors too, I thought we were past that - chuck an old Starvis or non-Starvis sensor instead.

Back