RTC Battery replacement with super capacitor?

Tritium

Reaction score
Country
Australia
When I purchased my first dash cam one of its spruiked attributes was that it had a super capacitor rather than battery which was supposed to endow the dashcam with better reliability especially where heat may be concerned.
The NanoQ unfortunately wasn't overly reliable from the start but at least had a reasonable picture for the $ when it was released.
My NanoQ hasn't been in use for a couple years. Covid restrictions here in Aus has given me a little spare time to look at these annoying little fix up jobs.
My version 4 NanoQ had an embarrassing hardware/design fault where the RTC battery was wired in incorrectly which contributed to the early demise of the RTC battery. So much for buying a super capacitor dashcam to find it has a battery inside anyway!
As part of my resurrection attempt I am going to replace its super capacitors with slightly larger Farad but smaller physical caps. This may make enough space to replace the small 5.5mah RTC battery with another supercap around 20F.

Has anyone done this before with any measure of failure or success? I know there are a number of formulae to compare charge with mAH but wondering if there are any real world results out there to draw from?

Cheers

Back