S&S issue

quetzalquatl

Reaction score
Country
Romania
A129 duo. Hardwired (2 wires) in GPS module. Car with Stop&Start system (Renault Captur).
Facts: after every engine restart the cam restart itself.

So, in the beginning I got the cam hardwired to a permanent source (28/UCE energy management in the attached diagram) exactly as my previous DDPai M6 plus.
Results:
as expected on the road or in parking mode but with a slightly problem: when in urban traffic when sometime every minute stop to a traffic light for 4 or 5 times, I noticed that randomly, after a quick succession of S&S the Rec red light was blinking. Accessing the screen, can see the Menu on and no recording on card of course. Touching once the menu button then the cam started again to record (till maybe the next S&S)
Note: never happened that to the previous cam.
Certainly, that bothered me cause I start to check the cam's led from time to time instead to be sure that is recording which is the main purpose of it.

Few days ago I searched on internet and found other people hardwired (other type of cam) on Captur on the lighter fuse (32 in the diagram) so I also did it. Cause I have no other power bank (never need it before with the other cam) now every time after a S&S, when the engine start, the cam completely reboot therefore the first 15-20 seconds after that is not recorded. Every time. Which is kinda strange cause I expected that there will be permanent power as long as the contact is on (everything else has power).

I tried to figure out myself how to deal with this untill now but is kinda pissing me off already. What is strange, I have to repeat myself, is that the previous cam never did that. Just run smoothly from beginning to the end, recording live or in parking mode but never gave me S&S problems.

So, any thoughts? Where to piggyback the cam? Preferably to a permanent source in the fuse box...?

Thanks in advance.
4f8c19f5b5ffd9a38ee8c1d3ecb6f353.jpg

Sent from my 1+ 5T using Tapatalk

How about the radio, or maybe fog lights.

It is normal for the lighter to turn off while the engine starts, it guarantees that the starter motor gets plenty of power. I would expect the radio to stay on, otherwise it would have the same problem as the camera and would be annoying.

Take the power from fuse 14 rear windscreen wiper as that should not be effected by S/S & should still work if S/S is activated or not.

Take the power from fuse 14 rear windscreen wiper as that should not be effected by S/S & should still work if S/S is activated or not.
I would expect the wiper motors to loose power so that the engine start has plenty, doesn't matter a short delay on the wipers.
I don't know much about French cars though!

I would expect the wiper motors to loose power so that the engine start has plenty, doesn't matter a short delay on the wipers.
I don't know much about French cars though!

Yep! I don't know much about French cars either to be honest but I'm a member on a Skoda forum & a lot of the users on that forum always seem to ask "where is the best place to get a live or switched live from" & the most common answer is to use the rear wiper fuse! I suppose the "OP" could always try his rear wiper with S/S active or not! to see if the rear wiper still works when the S/S kicks in.

Had time to only try one so today I choose rear wiper. No avail. Same "reboot" after each engine restart. [emoji53]
Tomorrow I'll try to radio fuse.

Go Buy a cheap 12 tester from the car shop for £5, looks like a screwdriver with 2ft wire and a croc clip on the end, I use it to test which fuses are permanent live or switched.

Go Buy a cheap 12 tester from the car shop for £5, looks like a screwdriver with 2ft wire and a croc clip on the end, I use it to test which fuses are permanent live or switched.

Be sure to get one with an LED, not an incandescant light bulb. The older incandescence ones can damage electronics in some cars, but the LED versions are safe with all cars.
Phil

So, not to much time lately but I tried to get to the root of this issue (sort of) by eliminating the hardwire power and use the original lighter adaptor and the usb cable that came in the box. This way supposed to flawlessly power the A129 being factory designed. Guess what? Same problem. Connected in the GPS mount or directly to unit, every time after an engine stop it's running until the engine will start again and, for about 20 secs the cam will reboot. Wtf??

I'm out of ideas...

@viofo, any advice?
@Anyone with S&S system that have/don't have this kind of issues?

[emoji53]

So, not to much time lately but I tried to get to the root of this issue (sort of) by eliminating the hardwire power and use the original lighter adaptor and the usb cable that came in the box. This way supposed to flawlessly power the A129 being factory designed. Guess what? Same problem. Connected in the GPS mount or directly to unit, every time after an engine stop it's running until the engine will start again and, for about 20 secs the cam will reboot. Wtf??

I'm out of ideas...

@viofo, any advice?
@Anyone with S&S system that have/don't have this kind of issues?

[emoji53]

What happens when you simply pull the power cable from the side of the camera?

Led blinking for few secs then stoped everything.

Then your 12V cigarette socket still has power after your engine shuts off. At least it does for a certain amount of time.

Of course it have. As long as I don't stop the car (pressing the on/off button) everything is powered including the lighter. So, a city ride with semaphore lights every crossroad, lead to rebooting the cam after every stop. It's f... ng annoying. Not to mention that I always have dead time periods when something can happen and also the cam can be damaged (I guess). And it is not that what I was paid for....

That's why I asked here maybe other people with S&S cars will share their experiences.

The "start" part of the cycle may be reducing power to the ciggie lighter temporarily causing the cam to think it's time to turn off. It might also be cutting power to it intentionally during "start" as part of a designed power scheme. This is a known issue with many S&S cars. You may end up needing to use a powerbank for the cam or running a new wire directly to the battery if no suitable circuits are available inside the car.

Phil

Can you not over-ride the S/S via a button on the dash to then see if this still happens?

Still happens.
1. Power accesories > lighter power on the cam
2. Wait ~ 30 secs to finish dashcam booting
3. Start engine (which is the same process as the car does when S&S restart the engine) > cam reboot.

.... [emoji53][emoji53][emoji53]

Back