S&S issue

Does the A129 not have a power off delay mode built in to the options of the settings? Maybe change the timer within the power off delay setting?

The "start" part of the cycle may be reducing power to the ciggie lighter temporarily causing the cam to think it's time to turn off. It might also be cutting power to it intentionally during "start" as part of a designed power scheme. This is a known issue with many S&S cars. You may end up needing to use a powerbank for the cam or running a new wire directly to the battery if no suitable circuits are available inside the car.

Phil
Until other S&S car owner's experiences, any advices about a good powerbank that I can use in this situation?

Sent from my 1+ 5T using Tapatalk

Does the A129 not have a power off delay mode built in to the options of the settings? Maybe change the timer within the power off delay setting?
No. No such thing.

get the three wire kit when it comes out, it will solve your problem
How does it solve the problem of power being lost while the starter motor is operating?

Maybe it has a decent sized capacitor on the input...

I am not sure that it would help, but have you thought about using the OBD port for a permanently live connection?

get the three wire kit when it comes out, it will solve your problem

So any idea when the three wire kits will be available either viofo's own or similar e.g.your SG brand?

As mine will no doubt have the same issue as the op (same brand but different model with S&S)

Why wait? Buy the SG kit now. It works perfectly.

it will solve your problem
It will not.
He either has a poor connection to the battery or a very small battery so when it starts voltage drops too much. I bet that lights will also go down to almost half intensity.
Only a power bank will help.

It will not.
He either has a poor connection to the battery or a very small battery so when it starts voltage drops too much. I bet that lights will also go down to almost half intensity.
Only a power bank will help.
The camera's super capacitor should hold it on during engine restart.

No. No such thing.

Sorry then bud I remember the G1-W use to have this feature & just assumed the A129 also had this feature/setting

This is usually only an option on battery based cameras where the battery can keep it powered for a certain amount of time after the engine is turned off.

I also have the same issue with S&S on my 2013 BMW 3 series.

If I turn off S&S then the camera is fine.

It's plugged in to the cigarette lighter power socket.

Never had the issue with my Nextbase because that was fitted with a battery.

The camera's super capacitor should hold it on during engine restart.

depends how long power is cut for, can be long enough for the camera to go into the shutdown cycle and then it goes to boot cycle once power comes back, with the 3 wire kit power is held so it doesn't do this

It doesn't take a complete loss of power to the PS and cam to signal it to shut down. Once a cap-equipped cam's lower operating voltage threshold is passed, the cam will begin it's shut down sequence. Caps can only hold recording power momentarily; the rest of their charge closes the last file properly (and sometimes holds the time/date for awhile). Operating the starter motor places a heavy draw on the car battery which lowers it's voltage until that load is removed, so with a weak car battery or a cam that has a higher voltage need, the S&S restart sequence alone can be enough to shut a capacitor-powered cam down.

The easiest solution is to use only battery-powered cams with a delayed shutdown in S&S cars. In the hottter climates that might not be feasible as batteries don't fare well in high heats. Next simplest solution is to use a powerbank for the cam; the car isn't connected and you get continuous power to the cam but you have to turn the cam on and off manually and keep the powerbank charged up.

As is being discovered now, much of what active S&S gains in fuel consumption numbers gets lost in battery recharging, more starter wear, more battery wear, more alternator wear, and a more complex control system being required. A passive S&S (like using a spring or pneumatic accumulator to restart) would circumvent those issues but introduce others of their own. Though S&S is on the market and workable now, it's not really ready for prime-time yet which is why it's not selling as well as the car makers envisioned. I imagine that the second or third generation S&S will be sweet, but only when restart doesn't use the car's primary battery as the power source.

Phil

About the powerbank....
RavPower sell in NA and UK... Not found in EU.
I also found Cellink B (great but highly expensive)
What (I think) I need is a small Powerbank that can be powered and power on the cam in the same time. And to be available in EU... Any thoughts?

Last edited:
A out the powerbank....
RavPower sell in NA and UK...
I also found Cellink B (great but highly expensive)
What (I think) I need is a small Powerbank that can be powered and power on the cam in the same time. And to be available in EU... Any thoughts?

RAV, i have one 20k,it can be used same time with charge, but i use wire

Back