Safely overtaking a turning 19m vehicle at the lights.

So would you have done the same if the truck was the first in line at the lights?

Actually, technically what you and the car ahead of you did is an infringe-able offense. Read the sign on the back of the truck, and it was indicting to turn.

As a truck driver I would have very much appreciated having a vehicle stop behind me to block the lane needed for the truck to turn in. He was straddling the line markings in an attempt to encourage someone to do just that. You and the car in front of you just added to the stress of driving for that truckie. It's a hard enough job as it is.

That is one of those things that even though it is legal I would not do. I would wait behind the truck for a couple of reasons: one to give the truck driver the room he needs to pull off the turn and keep others from moving into the area he needs, and two because I have talked to truck drivers who have ran over and crushed cars in situations like that.

So would you have done the same if the truck was the first in line at the lights?

NO, it would not be safe to do so....

As this is a long vehicle (it takes a while to get around it)it would not be safe to overtake even if it was behind 1 or 2 cars.

But in this situation (and as per the road rules here in NSW) it was safe to do so.

Actually, technically what you and the car ahead of you did is an infringe-able offense. Read the sign on the back of the truck, and it was indicting to turn.

As a truck driver I would have very much appreciated having a vehicle stop behind me to block the lane needed for the truck to turn in. He was straddling the line markings in an attempt to encourage someone to do just that. You and the car in front of you just added to the stress of driving for that truckie. It's a hard enough job as it is.

Trust me we did nothing illegal, there have been recent changes in road rules here regarding overtaking trucks, I suggest everyone in NSW go read them.
No stress mate, I do what that truckie does, easy as....
These rules make sense since cars would just pointlessly be sitting and waiting for trucks that aren't going to turn into them in those few seconds it takes to get around them, our Roads and Maritime Services isn't a stupid organization, they know what they are doing.

I have talked to truck drivers who have ran over and crushed cars in situations like that.

So have I, but so what. What you are thinking of are situations that differ to what I have shown you, they would be situations of what DJR96 was alluding to;)
If it is not safe to do so, they should be punished by law(penalty is 2 demerit points and $232 here) and pay for damages etc.

A driver may now overtake to the left of a vehicle displaying a 'do not overtake turning vehicle' sign, only if it is safe to do so. Again, this is in NSW.

I would have stayed behind the truck, the way my brian work it would be stupid to sneak up on the L side of a L turning truck.

Kinda the same way many bicyclists get killed here every year by R turning trucks, and it dosent matter if there is a bicycle path or not, and it dosent matter that trucks now have so many mirrors on the right side of the cab one fear that it would turn over on its side.

You can even get a fine if your mirrors are not 100% set, how they judge that i have no idea, they for sure dont bring a assortment of ppl to match the size of the truck driver.

And anyway any proper trucker know how big a part of driving a truck mirrors is, so i doubt the trucker will just say f..k all to the mirrors.

Last edited:
Well there sure is conflicting info here.

Whilst what you say, that this road rule has been repealed :- http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/repealed_reg/arr210/s143.html
Yet there is still this:- http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/road-rules/large-vehicles.html
where they make the distinction that if the truck is indicating to turn right you can't overtake it, yet doesn't mention the same for if the truck is indicating to turn left. Disappointing to see such ambiguity.

None of which detracts from myself and @roadbug have mentioned. That truck was taking up space in the left lane to be able to make the turn. You and the car in front of you should still not have squeezed past him.

Ultimately, just give trucks the room they need to get on with their jobs. They're not out to make our lives any more difficult, so return that in kind. Simple human courtesy.

i've never driven a lorry but have towed plenty of trailers and driven cargo vans and box trucks that even without a trailer have to turn a little wide. even when i'm simply towing a little utility trailer behind me, people honk and get mad when i go wide to turn into a narrow street or driveway.

if they actually did repeal that law, all sorts of morons will now try to cut inside turning trucks, get plowed (maybe even killed) and now the drivers or their families will have a legal standing when they sue the trucker/company. this is a BAD BAD THING.

This person did, I beeped at him for 5 seconds when I saw him coming around me 20m behind me, my indicator was on and he saw it as there was no one behind me.

Do you think he knows about the new rules? for sure not, but people still do it all the time, the new rule IMHO will get people thinking more and allow professional/capable drivers not to get unnecessarily held up.

One more clip showing how we don't have to block the smaller vehicles. My dash cam is to the RHS of the truck(near the driver). All these vehicles overtaking me can't be fined now, unlike a few years ago.

Last edited:
So here is what happens when I put my truck about a foot into the left lane, Necessary??? I think not, a little truck stopped there, it had enough gap to squeeze through but didn't which actually stressed me as I had to keep looking at it in case it moved forward while I started to move on green.

Well there sure is conflicting info here.

Whilst what you say, that this road rule has been repealed :- http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/repealed_reg/arr210/s143.html
Yet there is still this:- http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/road-rules/large-vehicles.html
where they make the distinction that if the truck is indicating to turn right you can't overtake it, yet doesn't mention the same for if the truck is indicating to turn left. Disappointing to see such ambiguity.

This what you talking about?

QOUTE .....When a long vehicle is turning and displays a sign DO NOT OVERTAKE TURNING VEHICLE you must not pass on the right if it is turning right. END QOUTE.

They didn't say TRUCK, They said LONG VEHICLE, massive difference.

I don't see an issue in that, do you?

I guess they should make it clear to drivers that if the truck is first at the lights then they should never attempt to overtake it from the left. Just like what happened in the 11th reply here. Whilst someone like me may find those rules easy to understand and work with etc, many inexperienced drivers might not know when is it safe to overtake, The RMS needs to show several clear examples of when it is safe, and when it is NOT safe......

Last edited:
Back