Screen saver options

Rumline

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there an option to have the screen saver on at startup? In other words, to not have the screen turn on at all when starting the car, but only when a button is pressed?

I think the only option are to have a really short time period people could select, there arnt many options normally 3-2-1 minute, and i for one would not mind shorter ones, maybe down to 5 seconds.
And it should be pretty easy to implement in the firmware.

Is there an option to have the screen saver on at startup? In other words, to not have the screen turn on at all when starting the car, but only when a button is pressed?

it will come on at startup but will always turn off at whatever option is selected in the menu, there is no option to leave it on permanently

But could you have the LCD turn off really fast, like a handfull or two of seconds ?

Also in the GC ? of mine ? :oops: i have to admit i have not looked closely on it and i normally use 3 minutes, but 15 seconds are pretty fast, most people dont even get their head around to driving 15 seconds after having turned the key.

Alright, y'all wore me down; I just pulled the trigger on the DC. I really didn't want another dash camera with a screen (I find it distracting when driving at night) but if it'll turn off after 15 seconds I should be able to live with that. Might just put electrical tape over the screen too.

Does anybody else hate having the screen come on every time? Any other ideas for covering it up that can be removed if/when you need to interact with the unit directly?

...Does anybody else hate having the screen come on every time?...
To be perfectly honest I don't even notice the camera's presence. This was also true when I had a GC mounted front and rear with the rear camera in the center of the rear view mirror. Like the RVM I only notice it when I'm thinking about it.

Alright, y'all wore me down; I just pulled the trigger on the DC. I really didn't want another dash camera with a screen (I find it distracting when driving at night) but if it'll turn off after 15 seconds I should be able to live with that. Might just put electrical tape over the screen too.

Does anybody else hate having the screen come on every time? Any other ideas for covering it up that can be removed if/when you need to interact with the unit directly?

15 seconds isn't a lot of time, most people don't drive off the second they start the car so in reality it might only be on for 5 seconds or so of actual driving, in many cases the screen is obscured where it gets mounted, it's also viewed off axis from the drivers seat which washes off the brightness a bit

The light from screens dont bother me, and i actually use that in testing as a way to generate maximal load, so everything are on all the time LCD screen / wifi are on if its there and i am doing the testing.
But of course for normal use i would never use that, and i have to pick and choose if i have several cameras for testing in my windscreen, cuz i can not live with 2-3 screens on, at least not at night, in the daytime i could not care as i dont notice it.
And wifi i dont use for anything but setting changes, though with test samples i some time drive with my tablet running the live preview, but again this are just for testing, in day to day i would not be so silly and have a video feed of what i am looking at myself out the windscreen going, that's just silly if you ask me.

Hi,
I purchased the DC and by the time it powers on after starting my vehicle and take off its pretty much off. Even with the screen on i don't even think i would notice it unless purposely looking at the camera while driving its so small.

I am sure if you wanted to cover it something like 2 small strips of velcro with with a piece of black plastic or cardboard cut to shape would work. Can remove when necessary then.

15 seconds isn't a lot of time, most people don't drive off the second they start the car so in reality it might only be on for 5 seconds or so of actual driving
Agreed, and I acknowledge that most people probably don't have a problem with it. I'll need to try that sensor mount I saw pictured in another thread, because where I have to mount my front camera currently is right in my line of vision next to my rear view mirror (I have a giant windshield sensor housing...Jeep Grand Cherokee). I guess you could say I have developed an irrational hatred of screens in my view.

I am sure if you wanted to cover it something like 2 small strips of velcro with with a piece of black plastic or cardboard cut to shape would work. Can remove when necessary then.
I like this. Will give it a try when my cam arrives.

There are also the LED dimming cover plastics, maybe you can get that in a larger size and put over the LCD screen to dim it that way.
You can probably not see the screen in daylight then, but for night time you should get it dimmed down nice. Just a optional idea as opposed to totally blocking out the screen.

Im leaning to wards window tint film maybe.

I have a sensor cluster too on my 2016 Accord Touring. Looking out the front window, I mounted my camera just to the left of all the 3 other cameras while allowing enough room to dismount the camera. It's mounted/stuck to the spotted matte around the top front of window (common on many vehicles) with just the lens hanging low enough on the clear part. From my driving position, It ends up exactly behind my rear view mirror. I get the startup sound to verify all is well, and haven't looked at the display in 2+ weeks... since installing it a week before that. ;)

Yeah a wedge camera mounted on the spotted area on top of the windscreen are optimal, that way only 1/3 of the already small camera are visible.

I am fortunate i have such a area in my car and my mirror hangs off the sealing, so i can have 4 - 5 cameras side by side there and the total that can be seen are still pretty little.
The past years i have had at least 2 cameras there ( 3 at the moment ) and i have still to see anyone notice my cameras.

Yeah a wedge camera mounted on the spotted area on top of the windscreen are optimal, that way only 1/3 of the already small camera are visible.

I am fortunate i have such a area in my car and my mirror hangs off the sealing, so i can have 4 - 5 cameras side by side there and the total that can be seen are still pretty little.
The past years i have had at least 2 cameras there ( 3 at the moment ) and i have still to see anyone notice my cameras.

I can't honestly see the problem of leaving the display on for the first 3 minutes.

It then tells you that the camera has booted properly and is recording.

Back