Screwed up my camera

Livoniabob

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried to do the 27 beta update.. Now camera is just looping.. starts off with record light slow flashing, then fast flashing,, then mic light comes on,, then Street Guardian screen then picture for 10 seconds of recording then screen goes blank and above starts over again..

Only button that works is the power one.

Help!

Try resetting the camera via the recessed reset button. Also download the firmware file again and put it on a freshly formatted SD card.

Edit:

After updating, format the card while it's in the camera so that it doesn't update again when it turns on next.

Last edited:
Novatek is nearly impossible to Brick. Leave it unplugged a few hours and try again.

What make model size memory card are you using? Was it formatted in the camera?

Which power supply are you using ?

Novatek is nearly impossible to Brick. Leave it unplugged a few hours and try again.

I was using my iPad 2 amp power supply in the house.. while the camera itself is/was acting strange I was able to get the buttons to work after awhile so was able to set the time zone and screen saver loop time to 5 minutes etc. I installed the 128 card and then put it in the truck to see if it would pick up the ups and set time.. (which it didn't but speed was recorded ) and it recorded during this and the GPS speed was showing. But I didn't check /know this till this morning so didn't know this.. I then came back into the house and reformatted the 64 card and downloaded the bin to it again.. and again installed it in the camera where once again the camera didn't see to be working right so I posted the thread... I then had to take wife shopping so stuck camera back in the truck.. where it looked like it was recording from the light flashing but the screen was turning off after a few seconds even being set to always on. This morning I looked at all the recordings and notice the first ones had the speed where the second try no longer has speed..
I'm going to try doing everything again but using the truck for power as maybe it doesn't like the iPad power supply..

Note the 27 is showing as being installed...

This morning I looked at all the recordings and notice the first ones had the speed where the second try no longer has speed..

Make sure your not plugging in the GPS into the A/V out. Its the same type of socket and easy to confuse.

...This morning I looked at all the recordings and notice the first ones had the speed where the second try no longer has speed.....
Make sure you have the GPS module plugged all the way in. You will not be the first not the last to think it's inserted all the way when it isn't.

Make sure you have the GPS module plugged all the way in. You will not be the first not the last to think it's inserted all the way when it isn't.

Yea but the second try the date did update but no speed,, where first try had speed but date was 01/01.. so think both had the GPS info. Going to put in truck and see what happens after letting it rest overnight.

OK,,, just tested it in truck and everything seems to be working fine, right date and GPS speed is being recorded so it shows on iPad playback... one question does anyone using iPad for playback have sound?

My conclusion for what I thought was a problem with camera was in the power supplys I was using.. In house I was using my iPad charger and in truck while testing I was using a plug into 12 volt outlet USB adapter.. Both of these might not have the power to keep the camera active causing it to keep restarting itself... As when plugged into the actual truck's camera hard wiring it seems to work fine... I'm going to have to order a new power cord for doing changes in truck where I can use the outlet as no way I can reach camera when it mounted to the windshield..

Last edited:
Bad power supply makes sense

What device reader and playback software are you using for iPad playback ? I know a few 3rd party ones where the app won't playback Audio but if you transfer the mov to the camera roll audio will play fine in the native built in video player after that.

Bad power supply makes sense

What device reader and playback software are you using for iPad playback ? I know a few 3rd party ones where the app won't playback Audio but if you transfer the mov to the camera roll audio will play fine in the native built in video player after that.

I'm using a WECODOCR-01. With iStick app.

I'm using a WECODOCR-01. With iStick app.

Try transferring the video to the camera roll and Audio will playback ok in the native video player outside of iStick.

Submit a bug report to iStick and include a raw video sample for them to analyze and add the correct Audio codec. Use mega.nz to file share a link since that's China firewall friendly and the developer is most likely in China.

One thing I am still wondering about is that I had used both the iPad charger and the 12V to USB charger when first setting up the camera and doing the 26 update with no problems.. So why did the 27 update make the camera behave differently? Is it now taking more power to run?

What ever still a nice small camera that does a great job... and the support is first class!!

Last edited:
One thing I am still wondering about is that I had used both the iPad charger and the 12V to USB charger when first setting up the camera and doing the 26 update with no problems.. So why did the 27 update make the camera behave differently? Is it now taking more power to run?

What ever still a nice small camera that does a great job... and the support if first class!!
i think it's good impovement. I know many dashcam has failed because they use the wrong power adapter. :)

You guys have a lot of experience, way more then I have but it sounds more like the firmware to me (if 26 and 27 were firmware versions). You should try loading 26 back in and see how that goes.

Did you format the card after the upgrade? When you do not the firmware remains on the card and everytime you boot it will reinstall.
But a bad powersupply seems more likely.

Did you format the card after the upgrade? When you do not the firmware remains on the card and everytime you boot it will reinstall.
But a bad powersupply seems more likely.
It was a new card that I formatted in the camera.. put the 27 on it but camera did like I posted in first post.. took card and reformatted in on laptop using FAT then again in camera.. then loaded 27 on it again camera was doing the same thing but I was able to set some things.. took it to truck using 12V to USB same restarting. Gave up and installed it back on windshield. Took wife shopping... The next day check recordings and saw that it was recording.. So it's still in truck as haven't driven anywhere.. And have been too busy to try doing a factory reset and starting over..

Back