Script to extract GPS Data from Novatek MP4

Indeed, actually GUI are what really kicked off home computing i think, and for this we need to thanks Motorola ( where Steve Jobs stole / got the GUI idea from ) and Microsoft / Bill Gates who stole the idea from Steve Jobs.

While i was a hardcore dos fan and only changed to windows with windows 98 se, then i have never been brave enough to take on linux though not a totally text based system.

Now i just do the sgt Murtaugh " im too old for this sh.." and might i add i do that quite often.

It was Ivan Sutherland who came up with idea and Xerox who refined it.
GUI has its place, but in fact CLI is way more powerful for a lot of tasks. There is a reason why Microsoft made "search" prominent in their "Windows" menu. So now you are given option of either navigating the menu via GUI method or simply type the program name in the search. Guess what I do when I use CLI? I type the program name (and tab complete).

Saying that I am not a Windows user, and I find extremely counterproductive the whole Windows administration, especially when you need to dig down into regedit (how is this better than CLI?).
Regarding Windows GUI in general, why is the Explorer so god damn retarded? Can't have split view, can't have tabs, when it crashes (say I yanked the Networking out while browsing a network location) it crashes the whole desktop. Here I go again ranting about Windows.

In anyway, I will not write a GUI version of my tool simply because it is time consuming and tedious, most importantly I do not have a casual access to a Windows desktop (I would have to borrow a machine for an extended use). I could build a Linux GUI app but I bet it will not be use to anyone ;).

Sorry that's right Xerox.

I stay out of regedit now, but once i did mess around in there, not least as doing a few things could better my ping to the servers i was gaming on.
But i cant tell how many times i had to reinstall my windows ( never been much of a backup guy ) as i had messed things up too badly.

Im just a casual user so i can live with windows just fine, though i do name it as one of the evils i have chosen to live with, dont for once think i rank Microsoft as less evil than the fruit company or google.
I couldn't code if it was to save my life, not even something simple, in that case the guy just had to pull the trigger and be done with it :)

GUI has its place, and it is not the one-size-fits-all solution some people want it to be.

that's why i made my video splitter script in vbscript - because nobody wants to remember all the command line switches for ffmpeg, and in this case, using a GUI makes the process of splitting multiple files a lot faster, esp since it's something you don't do every day (at least, i assume most people don't!)

Reactions: Mtz
GUI has its place, and it is not the one-size-fits-all solution some people want it to be.

that's why i made my video splitter script in vbscript - because nobody wants to remember all the command line switches for ffmpeg, and in this case, using a GUI makes the process of splitting multiple files a lot faster, esp since it's something you don't do every day (at least, i assume most people don't!)
I do it all the time, but I use mkvmerge --split parts:X:XX-Y:YYY from CLI I find it easier then the GUI counterpart (which exists). But again CLI is my bread and butter so I am way more comfortable then a regular Joe or even causal Linux user.

I'm not saying CLI is worthless. Far from it. I'm mostly a Windows guy, but Linux is not completely alien to me. I'm still learning powershell (and ironically I use ls more than I use dir while in power shell) but I absolutely agree, CLI can be worlds more efficient than a gui. My day job is automation (Microsoft System Center), so scripting is my bread n butter. I grew up on a commodore 64, so command line is just second nature to me.

I wrote that splitter script to help those who either can't or won't learn how to work at a command prompt, and also for myself when I'm feeling lazy.

Kinda like how I prefer driving stick shift, but not in heavy traffic, which is a staple of Houston... So my current car is an auto.

Reactions: Mtz
Failed to output gpx
What means "Skipping: lost GPS satelite reception. Time: 2000-00-00T00:00:00Z."?

Code:
Skipping: lost GPS satelite reception. Time: 2000-00-00T00:00:00Z.
Found 180 GPS data points...
Wiriting data to output file 'output.gpx'...
Success!

Failed to output gpx
What means "Skipping: lost GPS satelite reception. Time: 2000-00-00T00:00:00Z."?

Code:
Found 180 GPS data points...
Wiriting data to output file 'output.gpx'...
Success!

Probably no GPS data or incompatible GPS data format? It is hard to tell without looking at the file.

Hi guys. This script is perfect. Thx to Sergei.
I needed to generate gpx files for multiple videos at once, but Novatrakt application didn't work for me even though this script works fine.
So I wrote a small batch script for Windows for my own use.

Maybe someone else will use it too.

https://github.com/ReynokCZ/NovatekGPSexp

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RobTrehy A119 138
Back