SD card error.

Braian Laidd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
I've just decided to install my DDPai2 after it'sbeen sitting on my desk for a year. Firmware has been updated. Turning off mobile data finally allowed me to connect to my phone - however I get a continuous (and irritating) voice telling me there is an SD card error. I've formatted the card repeatedly, re- inserted as instructed repeatedly, done a re-set of the device repeatedly and still I get the SD card error message as well as on my phone when formatting has finished. I've also tried other SD cards that work in other devices without problem. Any help suggestions would be welcomed

Hello friend,

1, DDPai mini2 supports TF card size from 1GB to 128GB;

2, We recommend Samsung/Kingston class 10 (UHS-1) or above, NOT recommend SanDisk especially its "ultra" series due to its poor compatibility;

3, All dashcams is based on "loop recording", it means TF card is written and overwritten frequently, it means the card is always under heavy load work mode, hence, high endurance card is required for all dashcams, hence, we also don't recommend the cards from other small brands;

4, Better buy the TF card from official stores, as far as I know, there are many fake TF cards in the market especially from Ebay.

If still have problems, pls don't hesitate to let me know, thanks.

Thanks for your prompt reply.One card is a Transcend 8gb class 10 and the other a Sandisk 16gb class 10, but both have had a lot of use. I will order a couple of Samsung/Kingston from Amazon. I'm aware of the number of fakes on Ebay - I don't buy anything much of value there now because it's awash with fake stuff and SD cards are particularly bad. Even Amazon has some fake stuff on it now. I reported something recently and Amazon said they'd get back to me and I've heard nothing since. Not just fake stuff but fake reviews as well.

Try with authentic Samsung/Kingston class 10(UHS-1) or above, if still "SD card error", pls don't hesitate to contact me (better with your order ID by private message), thanks.

Hello , I have the same problem . I used Samsung class 10 , trascend class 10 but the message is the same .sd card error. Before the last update sometimes an error sound appear (was a sd card error ) but 1 times every 6 month and the problem disappear after reboot. After last update the message “sd card error “ doesn’t disappear .
I tried with reset,formatting sd card.
Did youn solve the problem ?
Thanks.

Did you manage to solve the SD card problem? I should have come across this thread before buying the mini2 - I am facing the exact problem now!

I have tried two SD cards till now, the camera keeps saying "SD Card Error" in both cases. I have tried formatting the card with the camera's app , re-inserted multiple times but it keeps saying "SD card Error".

@DDPai folks, if you're reading this - this was not at all expected from a product like this!

Sorry for my late reply to this topic, been ill in hospital for a while so I still have not had the opportunity to try a Smsung SD card or a Kingston (have both). I will do so in the next couple of days and update this thread.
Thanks

I just got this dashcam in January and got two Samsung 64gb sd cards for it. That way I could just swap them out to copy to my computer. About a week ago, I put one of the cards in the card reader of my computer, and I could see and play all my videos, but in the middle of copying them to the computer, I got an error message that it couldnt finish copying because the SD card was currupted. So then i tried to open the SD card folder again, and got the message it was currupted. My only choice was to reformat it. Even though i lost that data, I thought reformatting would at least fix the problem. When I put it in the camera it seemed to work fine til I put that same card in my computer a few days later. This time it had some really cool video clips i wanted to save, and in the middle of copying, the same thing happened. I even downloaded a app to try and repair the card. And that didn't work. So now I just been using the one card, and today the dashcam started flashing the purple light and saying SD card error. I tried taking the card out and putting it back in, but it did the same thing. finally I just unplugged the camera.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW to keep this from happening??? Right now I feel like it's a waste of time to TRY and get good footage cuz it's a 50/50 if I'm even able to save any of it. I bought the camera off amazon and got the samsung cards they recommened for it... I think it's kinda weird TWO cards both went bad, but did different things. I tried using a different card reader, and it's not that.

Any tips would be appreciated thanx!

To update this thread. Just tried a brand new Kingston 16Gb class 10 card (bought from Amazon specifically for this purpose) in this device. Formatted it and lo and behold same message repeated SD Card Error
Try with authentic Samsung/Kingston class 10(UHS-1) or above, if still "SD card error", pls don't hesitate to contact me (better with your order ID by private message), thanks.
I have just tried to contact you by PM as suggested but the Forum will not allow me to do that for some reason. My message was:-
I have just posted this on the thread regarding the SD card error message to which you replied.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sd-card-error.37384/#post-463251
I've had the DDpai for about 18 months now. Kept it a year before installing it and have not been able to use it because of this consistent problem which others also seem to have. I have tried SanDisk, Samsung and Kingston cards, all to no avail. As it is at the moment the dashcam is useless to me and I've wasted my money. Any suggestions? To update this thread. Quote - Just tried a brand new Kingston 16Gb class 10 card (bought from Amazon specifically for this purpose) in this device. Formatted it and lo and behold same message repeated SD Card Error.

I just got this dashcam in January and got two Samsung 64gb sd cards for it. That way I could just swap them out to copy to my computer. About a week ago, I put one of the cards in the card reader of my computer, and I could see and play all my videos, but in the middle of copying them to the computer, I got an error message that it couldnt finish copying because the SD card was currupted. So then i tried to open the SD card folder again, and got the message it was currupted. My only choice was to reformat it. Even though i lost that data, I thought reformatting would at least fix the problem. When I put it in the camera it seemed to work fine til I put that same card in my computer a few days later. This time it had some really cool video clips i wanted to save, and in the middle of copying, the same thing happened. I even downloaded a app to try and repair the card. And that didn't work. So now I just been using the one card, and today the dashcam started flashing the purple light and saying SD card error. I tried taking the card out and putting it back in, but it did the same thing. finally I just unplugged the camera.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW to keep this from happening??? Right now I feel like it's a waste of time to TRY and get good footage cuz it's a 50/50 if I'm even able to save any of it. I bought the camera off amazon and got the samsung cards they recommened for it... I think it's kinda weird TWO cards both went bad, but did different things. I tried using a different card reader, and it's not that.

Any tips would be appreciated thanx!

It seems like there's a lot more problems than solutions on here. That sux cuz I signed up hoping for ANSWERS... Anyway, for anybody else with similar problems... This is an update for the issue (above) with my Samsung 64 gb SD cards. The card that i was using when the purple flashing light came on and I got the SD ERROR message, all the data was still readable when I plugged it into the computer. I coppied the files i wanted to save, and then I deleated all the videos, and all pictues, but left the folders like they were. I didn't reformat it, just deleated files. Put the SD card back in the camera, and so far it seems to be working fine... Just thought id mention it in case it helps somebody... Worth a try at least.

To update this thread. Just tried a brand new Kingston 16Gb class 10 card (bought from Amazon specifically for this purpose) in this device. Formatted it and lo and behold same message repeated SD Card Error

I have just tried to contact you by PM as suggested but the Forum will not allow me to do that for some reason. My message was:-
I have just posted this on the thread regarding the SD card error message to which you replied.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sd-card-error.37384/#post-463251
I've had the DDpai for about 18 months now. Kept it a year before installing it and have not been able to use it because of this consistent problem which others also seem to have. I have tried SanDisk, Samsung and Kingston cards, all to no avail. As it is at the moment the dashcam is useless to me and I've wasted my money. Any suggestions? To update this thread. Quote - Just tried a brand new Kingston 16Gb class 10 card (bought from Amazon specifically for this purpose) in this device. Formatted it and lo and behold same message repeated SD Card Error.

People are dumb... they already have an answer, before they know the problem. Probably copy and paste the same thing to anybody with a SD card issue... Like those automated chat robots when you need help from Microsoft. Where they say to TRY the thing you just SAID, you already tried that didn't work. lol.

Hmmmm- that solution is a bit odd. With most cams, deleting files instead of formatting can cause card and/or card reading issues so it's generally not recommended, but if it works here then that's what matters most :)

IMHO the problem could probably be fixed by DDPai but they're not exactly known as being responsive to user-input and CS in general :(

Phil

Hmmmm- that solution is a bit odd. With most cams, deleting files instead of formatting can cause card and/or card reading issues so it's generally not recommended, but if it works here then that's what matters most :)

IMHO the problem could probably be fixed by DDPai but they're not exactly known as being responsive to user-input and CS in general :(

Phil
Intresting... in that case, i have an idea what could have caused issues in the first place. I had re-named the videos I wanted to keep as I went through them. And THEN coppied to my computer drive. Maybe re-naming them, is what caused the card error.

I dont know what to do about my other card. I reformatted twice and both times it has worked in the camera and then says its currupted when i put it in the computer.

Yeah, you don't want to mess with the files when they're on the card- download them first, and once on your PC alter them to your heart's content. I'm not the best with computer-related tech by far, but I've learned a bit on these forums about cards after 5+ years in the dashcam game. Rule #1 is to use only those cards which you find generally recommended on these forums as dashcams are picky about which cards they like. Rule #2 is avoid MAC; their OS often writes hidden files to the card root which make it malfunction. Rule #3 is to always format your card in-cam before use if the card has been put into any other device. Rule #4 is to check the card for functioning at least every month or two (I prefer 2 weeks) by viewing a couple random files and also viewing at least one each which show cam start-up and cam shut-down. That last bit is as much checking the cam as it is the card since corrupt file closing on shut-down due to battery or cap failure is one of the most common dashcam failure modes.

To try salvaging or testing a card that you suspect isn't working correctly which isn't write-protected use the "SDFormatter" freeware. Then do a full-write check with the "h2testw" freeware. The first resets the card to official factory specs and the second tests the card for read/write functioning. This will of course delete everything on the card. It will also let you see if the card is fake- a common occurrence with cards bought cheaply or from non-factory-approved sources. If the cam requires the card be used in FAT32 and the card is bigger than 32GB then format the card to that spec in your PC. With Win8 or newer you may need aftermarket freeware for this as these OS's often don't have this capability. Right-click on the card and click "eject"; probably not a necessity but it's the proper technique for dismounting external drives and data-storage devices. Place the card in the cam and format it there. The card should now function properly; if it doesn't then either the card or the cam has a problem and it's usually the card. Cards do wear out eventually (not applicable here but something lots of people don't know) so don't expect them to last forever.

That's most of what I know about SD cards used in cams- I'm not an expert in the matter, just someone who has watched and learned from what I've seen and who has used this technique myself in many different cams for many years with great success. If you find another way that works reliably for you, use it. All that really matters here is that you always have the files you want saved reliably without fail- nothing is more frustrating than discovering that the vids you want aren't available to you when you need them the most.

Phil

Yeah, you don't want to mess with the files when they're on the card- download them first, and once on your PC alter them to your heart's content. I'm not the best with computer-related tech by far, but I've learned a bit on these forums about cards after 5+ years in the dashcam game. Rule #1 is to use only those cards which you find generally recommended on these forums as dashcams are picky about which cards they like. Rule #2 is avoid MAC; their OS often writes hidden files to the card root which make it malfunction. Rule #3 is to always format your card in-cam before use if the card has been put into any other device. Rule #4 is to check the card for functioning at least every month or two (I prefer 2 weeks) by viewing a couple random files and also viewing at least one each which show cam start-up and cam shut-down. That last bit is as much checking the cam as it is the card since corrupt file closing on shut-down due to battery or cap failure is one of the most common dashcam failure modes.

Thanks for the tips. I've got used to just plugging my galaxy s7 into the computer to copy files, I almost forgot the hassel back in the day of having to take the card completely out & use the card reader. That kinda explains minor issues with not being able to rename folders on the card when its in the computer, or having my play lists get screwed up on my phone. But ive transferred the same 64GB sd card from phone to phone, and in and out of computers the past 6 years and it's never lost anything or stopped working...

I wish this dashcam could just plug into the computer like a phone. It seems like taking it in and out of the camera every other day could be kinda hard on it. After I format the card and put it in the dashcam, it automatically gives me the message it's formatting the card and then it works fine when im driving. The problem is when i copy files to the computer. But I'm reformatting it again now, and give it another try. Maybe not messing with the files on it, will help. I was renaming ones i wanted to keep, deleating ones i didn't need, really didn't know your not sposed to mess with any of the files, I thought it was just the folders. Preciate the info, hopefully that will help.

Phil
UPDATE:
Appreciate the info, ever since what you said, I stopped renaming and deleating files from the SD cards, and just coppy to my computer, and leave the SD card alone so it goes back in the camera exactly like it was when I took it out. And so far haven't had any more problems with either card. Thanks for the tip.

I know it has been awhile since this topic was first opened, but I have been wrestling with this exact issue with my ddPAI Mini2 dash cam for the last couple of hours and I think I have figured out what the issue is - and, it has nothing to do with the type of SD micro card you're using. I was getting the "SD Card Error" message repeatedly, so I purchased a new card - same problem. I tried formatting it on my PC - same problem. I tried formatting it in the dash cam - same problem. I tried copying old dash cam videos from this same dash cam from my PC to the newly initialized card - same problem. I tried a brand new card - same problem. I tried a brand new card that was working in a Garmin dash cam - same problem. Then, finally, I remembered that I had replaced a ddPAI M6+ dash cam with the Garmin dash cam. I reconnected the M6+ to make sure the card in it was still working - and, it was. So, I removed it from the M6+ and installed it in the Mini2 - and, voila, PROBLEM SOLVED! I then took the other brand new SD card I had just purchased for the Mini2 - that the Mini2 said had a problem - and installed it in the M6+ - and, the M6+ had no problem with it! I then removed the SD card from the M6+ and put it BACK into the Mini2 - and, NO PROBLEM! This seems to be a firmware problem! I had just updated the firmware in the Mini2, as I was replacing the SD card, thinking that was the appropriate course of action - but, THAT is what started the problem!

I know this solution does not help anyone who does not have ANOTHER ddPAI dash cam, like the M6+, to try this solution. But, at least, you know to stop wasting your time with purchasing new SD cards that aren't going to work in the Mini2 - until ddPAI decides to FIX THE PROBLEM with a firmware update! My advice would be to ditch the Mini2 and get an entirely different brand - like the Garmin Mini2 that works flawlessly and is even smaller and has a supercapacitor, instead of a lithium battery.

Hope this helps!

Back