SD Card issues

lamboboy732

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mx-5: Mobius Lens B
I am about to buy a G1W for my girlfriends car and am wondering what cards you are successfully using in your cameras. I have heard of some issues with corrupt files but would like more definite input than the scattered comments I have found. Thanks!

Today, my G1W from Saddle (AliExpress) arrived. I put a 2GB card class 4 to make a test and it didn't work well. The camera freezes after 20 seconds of video recording and doesn't turn off, except to wait battery drain completely.

I thought that there was something wrong with the camera, but I changed the card for another one (from a generic brand) and, surprisingly, It worked fine!

I really don't understand. It might be something about card format (FAT, FAT32, ...). And then? I concluded that my micro sd card was faulty, not my camera.

class 4 is far too slow. You need a named quality class 10 card.

Class 4 will handle the 15mbit recordings no problem, it's well within spec, if it's working fine there's no need to spend money on a higher rated card

I should clarify a 2gb card is the issue, it's not a speed issue as such

Class 4 will handle the 15mbit recordings no problem, it's well within spec, if it's working fine there's no need to spend money on a higher rated card

I should clarify a 2gb card is the issue, it's not a speed issue as such

Whilst acknowledging your in depth knowledge on this I posted this because of several bits of information.
1)All adverts for this cam state class 10.
2) Information on the internet like this.
Class 2 is suitable for standard-definition video recording, while Class 4 and Class 6 can record high-definition video. Class 10 is the card for HD video and "HD still consecutive recording,"
then it goes on to explain that some names are better than others. I do appreciate that this article is referring to cards used in better cams than car cams.
3) I talked this issue over with the "Geeks" in my local PC shop.

Appreciate your feedback, memory cards are something I've spent a lot of time working with as a matter of necessity and I'm not claiming to have all the answers or know all there is to know on the subject but have seen quite a few issues, knockoff or generic cards of questionable quality is probably the single biggest issue, 2GB cards are not suitable straight up due to size (recycling would be an issue), a brand name Class4 card of a suitable size (8GB or above) is well within spec for these cameras though, there's some further info on memry cards here http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/memory-cards-what’s-best-what’s-even-suitable.3565/#post-41178 which also has some links to extra reading and some test software etc

Last edited:
So I should be fine with a 32gb class 10 sdhc from sandisk? They have been my goto for all SD cards for years and I have never once had an issue, I just wanted to be sure that would be the case with this as well.

While I've personally used 100's of Sandisk cards without a problem some people have had issues, I feel Samsung cards are high quality and don't seem to have the compatibility issues that some people seem to get with Sandisk cards

Yes, I agree. I bought a Sandisk Ultra 16GB Class 10 30MB/s. Didn't arrive yet.

Let me know if the card works well once you get it.

While I've personally used 100's of Sandisk cards without a problem some people have had issues, I feel Samsung cards are high quality and don't seem to have the compatibility issues that some people seem to get with Sandisk cards

Okay, good to know. I'll look into the Samsung cards more. I might just wait on the card until I get my camera and test the various cards I have to see what works and what I should buy.

Not all G1Ws are the same, there are six different mainboard versions that I know of (perhaps more) so the results others get may not be consistent with your own results, trying the cards you have on hand first is certainly a worthwhile exercise

So I should be fine with a 32gb class 10 sdhc from sandisk? They have been my goto for all SD cards for years and I have never once had an issue, I just wanted to be sure that would be the case with this as well.
I'm one of those people. I had always used Sandisk cards in everything because that is what my BestBuy carried and they price matched Amazon so I got it the day I needed it and for a good price. However My G1W came in and I ran out to buy a Sandisck Class 10 Ultra micro card for it, and it gave me memory card errors and would not record. I switched to a Transcend 32GB class 10 card and have had no other issues since.

The same thing happened to my Vico WF1. With Sandisk I got memory card errors. Switched to Transcend and it was happy.

I'm one of those people. I had always used Sandisk cards in everything because that is what my BestBuy carried and they price matched Amazon so I got it the day I needed it and for a good price. However My G1W came in and I ran out to buy a Sandisck Class 10 Ultra micro card for it, and it gave me memory card errors and would not record. I switched to a Transcend 32GB class 10 card and have had no other issues since.

The same thing happened to my Vico WF1. With Sandisk I got memory card errors. Switched to Transcend and it was happy.

Okay, that is what I was hearing from other sources also. I'm going to wait to test what happens with my specific camera and the sandisk cards I already own and will determine if I need to get something else if I have problems.

Grrrrrr! :mad: Finally got my G1WH, popped in my brand new Sandisk Class 10 Ultra Micro SD card from Best Buy, started it up, and had "memory errors" right out of the gate. Figured it must not have seated well, so I popped it out and re-inserted it. Still memory errors. Tried re-inserting again, and formatting it - no luck. Should I assume this means the G1WH is not compatible with Sandisk, and try another brand (manual recommends Kingston)? Is it possible this problem could be caused by something other than the card? I see "Check Your Lights" had the same problem with a Sandisk card, then had good luck with the Transcend, but I'd hate to go out and spend more money on another card if that's not the problem. It seems like any reputable brand class 10 card ought to work. So frustrating, after waiting all this time to get the dashcam. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much.

I got "2" Samsung Class 6 - 32gb cards from a reputable dealer (they are the Real McCoy's) plug one into my G1W and took a 7hr. trip today, never looking at the camera after I hung it on the windshield. As I drove to my destination and back (including a few pit stops) I could hear the camera cycle thru the start and stop modes as did my Jeep Cherokee.

I got home and plugged the G1W into my computer, viewed the files. My camera "never missed a beat", all files were written to the card proper using the Samsung Class 6 card. Mine is set to loop @ 3min intervals (1080 fhd). The only files that I lost was when the card completed the 32gb capacity and started to re-write.

Just a side note half of my trip was on gravel and dirt roads with pot holes the size of moon craters and rocks the size of meteors. I was very impressed
w/the camera as I put it thru the "stress test" of that mountain and all of the rough terrain and it stayed mounted on windshield and never fell off.

All said, the G1W & the Samsung card performed superb!

I have a G1Wc and a Patriot 32gb class 10 card and all was good until I tried a "handle" made of clear plastic super glued to the last 0.5 mm of the card to allow easier removal from my desktop computer's reader....the dashcam wouldn't read the card until I cut the tab off & cleaned the card up & now I may have to re & re the card 3 times before the "insert card" prompt goes away.I wish I had known that these cameras didn't need a class 10 card before this, oh well!

Back