Sd card recommendation

mms1361

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last time I purchased my a119s I had purchased a lexar 633x 64gb card along with it. I have never had problems with corruption or sd card not saving. The card is about 2 going on 3 years old now. I just purchased an a129 duo and was looking at possibly getting another sd card. Should I keep using this til it dies? Is there anything better? More reliable? I'd like to know. I'd likely purchase from some other genuine place as Amazon is flakey now when it comes to buying genuine products.

Lexar cards from 3 years ago were great cards, quality dropped when they sold the business, would not suggest their cards anymore

Samsung Endurance Card?

Endurance cards that have factory warranty for when used in dashcams is what i would go for nowadays, but you can also get by using regular memory cards, and as i have been lucky have then exchanged when they have broken, as retailer just swap it.
Main thing is to buy where you stand a chance of getting some service and meaningful communication, so i normally use local stores or one of the EU Amazon stores.
My latest pickup have been the new Kingston endurance cards, that are some of the cheapest endurance cards here in Denmark, and it have been running ever since in my dual channel camera from SG.
That card have a 2 year warranty, which is also what i expect from a memory card in a dashcam, anything more and thats just a sweet bonus to me.

Last edited:
Check the write speed on "endurance" cards as it's usually slower than standard cards, and with high bitrate cams they can cause problems. Samsung EVO Plus or EVO Select (same card) is my current go-to and seems to work very well in almost every cam.

Phil

Check the write speed on "endurance" cards as it's usually slower than standard cards, and with high bitrate cams they can cause problems. Samsung EVO Plus or EVO Select (same card) is my current go-to and seems to work very well in almost every cam.

Phil
some of the new Endurance cards are U3 now and a lot faster than the old models

Yes it seem in some cases endurance, and what i call PRO cards ( U3 - fast read/write ) have merged, and that is also nice if you have mass files to move.
But for my dashcam need just picking a file to two here and there i don't need these fast endurance cards,,,,,, but future dashcams i hope will need those to work.

Same as with certain brands of cams, there are a lot of people out there who seem to think that price=performance and that you simply must spend a lot to get what you need. Endurance cards might not be bad, but they also might not be necessary. They might also not be the best value ;)

Specs don't always tell everything- I was getting 600+ write cycles out of my old Transcend 400X cards which isn't supposed to happen but it did. I haven't pushed my EVO Select cards that far yet but similar results wouldn't be surprising to me even though I don't expect them. Know what you need then use only the cards lots of folks here on DCT have used in that cam then you'll be OK :cool:

Phil

So i was looking at the samsung pro endurance card as its available near me but it seems to display U1 speed. Should i be worried about that? or what speed does the a129 need?

Look into the A129 forum and see what others are using in it along with the experiences they've had. Keep in mind their settings as high-bitrate settings and modified firmware have higher requirements on write speeds.

Dashcams are utterly dependent on the card working well regardless of whatever it is supposed to be doing based on specs. There's no better bet than following those who have no problems ;)

Phil

Well i intend to use both cameras in the high bitrate mode. I dont mind spending a little extra on a card such as endurance/pro series but paying 100+dollars for high endurance cards seems over the top specially when they have a "lifespan".

Just off some quick searches people are recommending sandisk a1 and evo select cards. Samsung PRO is "designed" for dashcam use, so id rather get that but as you stated earlier its u1 speed. I might try an evo select or a1 for the moment i guess. Back when i bought my a119s everyone was saying sandisk cards were -not ok- for dash cams.

most cards i have ever used have been U1 cards, to get that U1 marking as i recall the write speed must be 30 MB/s at least, way more than most dashcams at the moment that write under 10 MB/s

Of the current cards, the Samsung EVO Plus (or EVO Select, same card) seems to do well in almost every cam including those with high bitrate mods. Equal to it but not as popular is the newer Sandisk- just be sure it's the "A-1" version as others might be trouble-prone like their older cards were. Lexar sold out and are no longer good, and Transcend's new silver cards are known to not do well here. It's an ever-changing world with cards so you need to keep abreast of current happenings with them. DCT is a good place to do that (y)

Time for me to get some more cards while the prices are good- seems I never have any extra anymore!

Phil

So i was looking at the samsung pro endurance card as its available near me but it seems to display U1 speed. Should i be worried about that? or what speed does the a129 need?
check out dash cam central on youtube they do a great job on product info. I always use them as a reference before buying. BTW the U1 is fine.

This one is worth a look from Carcamcentral on Youtube.

Well i ended up buying samsung evo select and now i cant get it to work as it is write protected. Ive tried formatting but it says the same thing. I run the disk thing in command to remove readonly attribute. It says it does it but when i go back to it, still protected. dunno what to do.

dont have anything else on hand atm

All i did was plug it into my laptop. What seems to be the problem?

Back