Sd card repaired.

petepete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
64g has been playing up and finally nothing would recognise it.

I used a very light sandpaper on its contacts and low and behold its fine now.

worth a try...

That's probably ok if you're very careful, but the general recommendation is to use an eraser tip to clean off contacts.

KuoH

Or, isopropyl alcohol 99%.

the main diff between "non-aqueous" isopropyl and normal rubbing alcohol is that the regular stuff is around 25% water. so it doesn't evaporate as quickly and can sometimes leave a little residue. so just use that and follow up with a clean cotton swab or cloth and you'll be fine.

pencil eraser is definitely much less abrasive than even 2000 grit sandpaper so it's definitely a better method than sandpaper, especially considering how much force some people use with sandpaper...

I bought one of these ages ago mate - works wonders for cleaning the car windscreen :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00EI9C57A
Interesting that sorted your card out though! What was it? Wonder if something had oxidised or something on the contacts?!

As far as the 99% alcohol goes, I was surprised to find 5 litres for £6 online and have never seen it for sale in shops in the UK having been used to buying in any supermarket and using it for household cleaning in Italy... Its also very good for doing Italian antique marble painting effects and cleaning glass and mirrored furniture we made.
As for the SD card contacts- we have had high humidity lately and hot moist air cooling in a camera has to condense somewhere and I notice the clean contacts are a a lovely shiny lighter brass colour !

yeah, last bottle you'll ever need. a liter is a lot of alcohol! that's about the size of my bottle, and i think i bought it in 2002 or something, and i still have about 2/3 remaining! that includes from when i used about a cup to submerge the mainboard of a cell phone that got a bath in dr. pepper. phone worked just fine after that. :)

I use deOxit on electronic products.

Back