Searching parking mode footage

Hmm dvr-scan seems really slow, in about 20mins of running I cancelled it and it had only picked out a few minutes of movement. (4770K i7)

There must be faster ways out there or maybe something is wrong with my setup. To be continued...
You could try ffmpeg's decimate filter, that is reasonably fast...

Hmm dvr-scan seems really slow, in about 20mins of running I cancelled it and it had only picked out a few minutes of movement. (4770K i7)

There must be faster ways out there or maybe something is wrong with my setup. To be continued...
Have you tried setting a region of interest via the roi flag to help speed it up?

It doesn't look like it's using the GPU for now so it's all CPU bound - ideally you'd need something similar with GPU acceleration as it would be orders of magnitude quicker but with the ROI setting it may be quicker than what you're currently seeing.

Have you tried setting a region of interest via the roi flag to help speed it up?

It doesn't look like it's using the GPU for now so it's all CPU bound - ideally you'd need something similar with GPU acceleration as it would be orders of magnitude quicker but with the ROI setting it may be quicker than what you're currently seeing.

Thanks, I think I was using a release that didn't have this, I saw mention of a progress indicator as well.

Installed the latest version, the roi is about half the screen now, I've also installed the package for the progress indicator.

Bad news, it's doing about 30-50 frames a second, so will take ages to complete.

Maybe ffmpeg may be able to reduce the frame count a bit, or maybe the solution is to transcode it to a lower resolution and maybe half the frame rate and then run dvr-scan. After all, you are really looking to pick out cars/people which would be possible at half the resolution.

I just stopped it at 15 per cent. It had generated 18 minutes of footage from 1hour and 15mins of raw footage.

At the default settings I think it's probably too sensitive.. Even with the clouds outside of the region of interest it was picking up shadows of the trees as the sun went behind the clouds and came out again.

At this point I reckon loading footage into audacity is a great first step, any impact will be picked up as a sound spike on the mic (assuming you have a decent mic). This probably won't catch people keying your car, which is why there is still a need to pick out motion.

I hope I will be able to get to the point where I have a good "workflow" for searching footage, such that I can go through about 8 hours from multiple cams quickly and identify the important time points.

Maybe ffmpeg may be able to reduce the frame count a bit, or maybe the solution is to transcode it to a lower resolution and maybe half the frame rate and then run dvr-scan. After all, you are really looking to pick out cars/people which would be possible at half the resolution.
Reduced resolution will speed things up considerably, but like I said, ffmpeg has a filter to do the movement detection, called "decimate", which I found to be reasonably fast, could maybe use that as a first pass to remove all the zero motion bits and thus speed up the more careful detection.

I have A129 Duo and use low bit rate parking mode because i have problem with motion detection mode.
I've tried dvr-scan using default setting and looks pretty good.
Definitely saved me from many many hours of glaring to the screen.
If this software have GUI mode I will definitely gave this ware 5 out of 5 stars :D

I basically ended up reviewing my footage (8 hours of footage) at about 4x speed over several evenings as I wasn't sure whether the damage was done when the car was arriving or leaving. I never did find anything.

Unfortunately for me there was a car parked north-west of mine, blocking the view of the exit. I didn't see anyone pass in front of my car either.

I just looked at the damage again (which I assumed could be fixed with PDR) and there is paint missing so it looks like it will turn out to be a pricey repair.

I am quite frustrated by this as I collected about 4 or so dings in the first few months of ownership but since running a 4 camera setup I've not had anything happen, all those repairs will cost me :(

Back