Seattle Crane collapse video [viewer discretion advised]

I saw this in some news on my phone, but dident read it at the time.

It appears that they were rushing the disassembly job based on witnesses with knowledge of those things. There was also a quick gust of wind involved. Wind force increases exponentially; doubling the speed quadruples it's force. I've never dealt with tower cranes, only mobile ones, but some of those were pretty big.

Phil

I was written up for the courses for the 2 biggest crane certificates here, but then i got a job and took to the sea.
So big crane operator i dident become.
So nice with my country you can become pretty much what you want to be or have the skill for, and you don't have to be rich in any way to do that.
Those 2 crane courses would not have cost me a dime.
Actually many from aboard come here get a higher education and favorable student loans if needed, and then run from it all when they got their papers, Many millions are owed to Denmark this way by people all over the world.
Which just go to prove, being a nice guy / country make you susceptible to parasites and other creeps.

It appears that they were rushing the disassembly job based on witnesses with knowledge of those things. There was also a quick gust of wind involved.
https://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/32893/fatal-tower-crane-incident-in-seattle-updated

I used to hold an Appointed Person qualification for managing crane lifts when I was site-based. I'm now a desk-based civil engineering designer with only limited involvement in cranes - I design foundations for them. I find big crane operations fascinating, but there's a lot of risk involved.

Last edited:
Indeed.
Crane / crane operation are one of the oldest sciences, and i am sure it have cost much grief and lives over the years.

One of the oldest cranes here ( not operational ) are Fredrick 5 ( king ) mast crane in Copenhagen.
mastekran_torpedobaad.jpg

BTW Fredrick 5 was king of both Denmark and Norway, so here in the mid 1700 we had not yet pissed it all away.

Back