Series 2 release

Farmersden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So Nextbase are releasing the new series 2 range in May, maybe they should have sorted out the issues in the 1 series first

I think this is a common way of problem solving in dashcams, at least with many brands.

One of the main issues for me is the firmness of the mount system. Hopefully it will be robust enough to handle uneven surfaces that the 1 series fails miserably at but the 380 design handles so well.
I'm disappointed that the 380 capacitor route hasn't been adopted either. Changing batteries in semi sealed units isn't the way forward.

TBH, at the moment I'm torn between the 2 series and a Blackview 750S 1CH which is a solid mount, super capacitor and a dedicated polarising filter is available. Against the BV is it doesn't have an active mount so is more fiddly to remove to offload footage as I don't like ejecting cards in the car. It also needs its dedicated viewer to see your GPS location on screen.

I'm waiting to see the 2 series specs and 'in the flesh' before making a decision.

The 380 is hamperered by 1080@30 max and no dedicated filter, which is a shame.

Last edited:
Can't honestly say I'm surprised by this. Most companies ditch support for older devices in favour of new ones. All we can hope is that the new range will have addressed some of the niggles of the older models - sadly not always the case. I'm still waiting for an update to the Replay software that I clearly demonstrated a bug in (Up and Down accelerometer displaying the wrong way around on accelerating / braking). And 'Parking Mode' is essentially unusable with this camera, and never adequately fixed by what should be a simple software patch. For my next purchase, I'm going to see what other options are available.

Regarding capacitors / batteries in these devices, it seems to me that most of the manufacturers are missing a very obvious solution. Just put the battery / capacitor in the cigar lighter adapter, rather than the camera. Easy to add much bigger capacity power store without adding bulk to the camera, and also using much cheaper components within the adapter (no need for them to be miniature)….. sincerely it beats me that no one has thought of doing this...

in the cigar lighter adapter

That will be fine if power don't get dislodged at the camera, in which case the power source for shutting down last and probably crucial recording are not available.
Maybe not so much a problem with 12 V cameras using a sturdy barrel type plug, but the 5 V cameras are more likely to have their USB plug at the camera disengage with the forces of a event.

The camera should always contain a small battery / capacitor with enough power to allow orderly shutdown of the recording when power is removed from the USB port (for whatever reason). What i'm talking about is adding a much larger capacity battery (like a lithium 18650 cell with a 2200 mAh capacity) to the cigar lighter end, so that it could continue to provide a 5V supply to the camera long after the 12V supply from the car has been switched off. This could provide power for a proper 'parking mode' without needed either a hard wire kit or a large battery in the camera itself, and the lithium cell would be recharged whenever the 12V supply is restored. As said, surprised such a thing doesn't exist aleady. Maybe I should crowd fund it :)

We've discussed using a powerbank before.

With the accelerometer on your screen, when you accelerate, what does the screen display show for that action? @drwilliams

With the accelerometer on your screen, when you accelerate, what does the screen display show for that action? @drwilliams

I was braking hard at the following screenshot, yet the app shows strong acceleration.

I supplied the source files to Support @ Nextbase, and this was confirmed to be a bug back in October 2018 (i.e. negative value / braking being displayed as acceleration).

As said, awaiting it being fixed ...

Nextbase Bug.png

Ok so the other day my rear 512 cam stopped working, only had front and rear fitted jan 19, Halfords fitter said he would replace under warranty at same cost as rear cam I payed so happy about that but got to wait for series 2 model to arrive...he said within the next 2 months but is there a more definite ETA? It will be Sod’s law that now I don’t have a rear cam I’ll get rear ended by a boy racer.

I've replied in your other almost identical post.

Back