Serious privacy concern! Events are automatically shared on the public Event map regardless of privacy app settings!

Tomcat

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I came across a serious privacy problem. All your videos uploaded trough live events to the cloud of impacts and parking mode are automatically shared in the public event map beta for every user to access without the user knowing and regardless of privacy settings. i was opted out of all these public uploads and still my event files ended up being shared publically and im not able to remove them as they arent present in my shared videos folder.

A video that i came across which best explains the problem: Blackvue events map privacy issue

Below a quote to my post in the New Blackvue App 2023: Horrid topic

I have a serious privacy concern with your recent app updates as without me knowing it and despite being opted out in the privacy settings not wanting to share any videos to the public all of my cloud connected dashcam sets were uploading live footage not only to the cloud when impacts were detected but also to the public event map Beta and this is accessable for everyone to see, especially our psycho neighbor who has mental problems and vandalizes many cars in the neighborhood also owns such a set and loves to find blind spots and locations were she can find our cars un guarded so she can slash my tires and key our cars. this is like a free gift to her despite me investing heavily in security to avoid this.
and there is no manual way for me to removing those videos that are shared in that event beta map. i have reported the most privacy infridging ones to as private but so far none have been removed by your service. i dont even see them in the list that is supposed to list them my shared videos is empty for all my dashcams. This has serously damaged my trust in your products and services owning 4 dual channel dashcam sets and multiple battery sets. im affraid privacy blunders like these will serious damage your brand and the trust that people have build up in it. I really hope you will provide a solution to remove these videos that have been uploaded for public viewing so we can limit the damage that has been done.

the guy in this video on youtube i came accross searching about this issue explains best what is the problem here :
Blackvue events map privacy issue

This auto sharing of all cloud uploaded videos is also aiding car thiefs and burglars in their operations as they now can see without the individuals parking their cars knowing if there is activity in the surroundings in the garage or parking lot or if they have property valuable to take and they will know how to stay within the blind spots of the vehicles etc so your dashcam in parking mode will achieve the exact opposite of why you invested money in it in the first place.
this auto public event uploading is a terrible blunder for user privacy and security and i hope it will get fixed , the problem right now is that regardless of your privacy settings even if you opted out your videos are shared, also give users a way to have their all their videos that have been uploaded for public view without them knowing removed.

Yours sincerely,

I really hope this gets fixed and users given an ability to bulk remove all the videos that are now shared without consent at request or by option. im going to manually restrict my cams from access to the internet because of this its not workable as long as this presists. Best not use the cloud until we are in control of your own privacy again.

Last edited:
That's interesting. I'm not doubting what you say, just that I haven't come across it. If this is widespread then it adds a big question mark on the company's morals.
I have settings as shown here and it appears to me there are no shared videos.

shared map.png

Could you share some more info? I’m not seeing this either, but I’m curious to learn more about the specifics of your experience.

Back