Setting the clock with a supercapacitor

tstorzuk

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Quick question,

Is it possible to accurately set the clock in the Actioncam if the battery has been swapped out for a supercapacitor?

If yes, how long will it stay programmed with the correct date? If I shut off my vehicle for a few days will it stay? How about a week?

Quick question,

Is it possible to accurately set the clock in the Actioncam if the battery has been swapped out for a supercapacitor?

If yes, how long will it stay programmed with the correct date? If I shut off my vehicle for a few days will it stay? How about a week?
You can very accurately set the time and date if you have your camera connected to a PC and use mSetup. The Android App should also work.
The capacitor should keep the RTC (Real Time Clock) running for at least 10 days, but you should never turn the camera on without external USB power connected.
Make sure the camera is correctly set up with both 'Power On Auto Record' set to both or external and 'Power Off Disconnect' set to Immediate.

Awesome, thanks for the information.

I had asked because just recently I checked my Actioncam's memory card to see how it's been recording, and the date was off by 12 years. And I could have sworn that before I put it in, it was properly set.

I had forgotten about using the Android App with the OTG cable. I tested it out at my computer and sure enough, it does work too. That will allow me to re-set the RTC without having to remove the Actioncam. So the location will be kept the same.

Again, thanks for the information.

Back