Settings reset after firmware update - normal?

Mtnears

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just updated two A139 Pros to the latest firmware, looks like when you do that it resets all your settings to factory. Is that normal for VIOFO or is there a different process I should follow for updates? Not a horrible issue, but would be nice if it retained your settings on a firmware update.

I have the opposite problem. Loading firmware is not resetting my ssid/password that I need.

I just updated two A139 Pros to the latest firmware, looks like when you do that it resets all your settings to factory. Is that normal for VIOFO or is there a different process I should follow for updates? Not a horrible issue, but would be nice if it retained your settings on a firmware update.

As already mentioned, it's normal. In fact, when updating firmware in a dash cam it is a good rule of thumb to hit the reset button on the camera after installing the update and THEN re-enter your settings. This hard reboot ensures than anything that might be corrupted in the memory is flushed out and allows you to begin with a clean slate.

As already mentioned, it's normal. In fact, when updating firmware in a dash cam it is a good rule of thumb to hit the reset button on the camera after installing the update and THEN re-enter your settings. This hard reboot ensures than anything that might be corrupted in the memory is flushed out and allows you to begin with a clean slate.
I just read in another thread that the latest firmware doesn't wipe the settings. I haven't done it first hand but am about to find out. I'm wondering if that was why mine were not reset. I found a .bin file that looks like I downloaded it in APR23, that has a different checksum and size. I'm hoping it does reset everything.

I do wish they included version numbers in the filename.

UPDATE: Neither .bin file reset the ssid/password. Not sure what the next step is.

Last edited:
I just read in another thread that the latest firmware doesn't wipe the settings. I haven't done it first hand but am about to find out. I'm wondering if that was why mine were not reset. I found a .bin file that looks like I downloaded it in APR23, that has a different checksum and size. I'm hoping it does reset everything.

UPDATE: Neither .bin file reset the ssid/password. Not sure what the next step is.
Have you tried defaulting the settings through the app?

I don't quite understand what's causing your issue.I have no personal experience with the A139 Pro. But just to be clear, did you try the hard reset I suggested? Don't know that this would clear a password or ssid but in any case, what I was suggesting was pressing the re-set button (with an "R" over the hole) on the side of your camera with a bent paperclip after reinstalling firmware and then re-entering your menu selections. Try it and see if anything useful happens.

a139Pro_reset.jpg

then use the toothpick to reset everything.

FIrmware will probably only reset settings when there's a big change or you haven't updated for long.

I just updated two A139 Pros to the latest firmware, looks like when you do that it resets all your settings to factory. Is that normal for VIOFO or is there a different process I should follow for updates? Not a horrible issue, but would be nice if it retained your settings on
I don't quite understand what's causing your issue.I have no personal experience with the A139 Pro. But just to be clear, did you try the hard reset I suggested? Don't know that this would clear a password or ssid but in any case, what I was suggesting was pressing the re-set button (with an "R" over the hole) on the side of your camera with a bent paperclip after reinstalling firmware and then re-entering your menu selections. Try it and see if anything useful happens.

View attachment 65950
Thanks for the replies.

I've done the reset pin, loaded 2 different firmwares, long pressed alert and wifi buttons in about ever conceivable order.

I'm always powering down out of parking mode first.

Reset was held for about 15 seconds and I could feel it making.

BTW I never use a toothpick. I have a pin tool but also use a paperclip. Toothpicks can break and sometimes are too thick.

I never imagined doing a reset would be so hard. It's not resetting anything since it also continues to go into parking mode, unless that's on by default. I don't remember.

I've reached out to them, but no response yet. In fairness, it hasn't been long enough that I would expect anything yet.
Is it that you have forgot the password you set?

Have you tried the default password?

I finally got it. Not exactly sure what did it.

Did a FAT32 format of the card not using quick format. About an hour for 128 GB.
Copied latest firmware to card.
Disconnected the power cord before inserting the SD.
Held reset in for a full minute immediately after powering on.
Stopped recording and held [alert] + [wifi] buttons until all 4 lights flashed.
After full boot, enabled wifi.

Success with all default settings including ssid and pass, YAY

Had a drink in celebration!!

Thanks to all for reading and commenting.

Don't know what else to suggest. What does @viofo or @VIOFO-Support say?
The A139pro cannot support resetting the settings by updating the firmware. To default the settings, there are three methods: 1. Press and hold the reset hole on the side of the camera for a few seconds. 2. Long press the emergency button and wifi button at the same time for seconds. 3. Reset the settings in the app.

The A139pro cannot support resetting the settings by updating the firmware. To default the settings, there are three methods: 1. Press and hold the reset hole on the side of the camera for a few seconds. 2. Long press the emergency button and wifi button at the same time for seconds. 3. Reset the settings in the app.

Yes. As I mentioned earlier in the thread pressing the re-set button should do it. Thanks for confirming this and explaining about the other methods.

Last edited:

I can say with certainty that holding the reset in for many seconds did not reset my setting,

I can say with certainty that holding the reset in for many seconds did not reset my setting,
What item do you use to press it? You may have not pricked the hole with enough strength. :DAnyway, it is better to use the other two methods to reset it.

Back