SG6993DC Time Lapse Cutting out

dougie175

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a slightly strange issue with the parking mode time lapse recording on my SG6993DC that I installed yesterday / last night alongside the SGDCHW

The camera turns on perfectly with the ignition, records at a full framerate perfectly, then when I turn the car off it switches to time lapse instantly and starts recording 3FPS, this continues exactly as it should for almost exactly 10 minutes then is suddenly stops. I have double checked the wire and the switched live switches straight away with the ignition, and the constant live is still there even after the camera has stopped recording. This would lead me to think the voltage is dropping too low and the SGDCHW is cutting the power to save the battery. ( I am waiting to get my multi-meter back from a friend to confirm the voltage at the fuse as I only have my power problem available to me at this point.

It does seem very strange that it goes for 10 minutes (within a few seconds) every time then stops, even to the extent of if it records for 10 minutes then stops. I turn the ignition of for 30 seconds (no extra power has gone into the battery as the car hasn’t even been started) I then turn the ignition off and it will record for a further 10 minutes. I struggle to believe that the car battery only has enough power to power the camera for 10 minutes on every occasion, even stranger is I think if I kept turning the ignition on and off it would go for hours.

Could there be a setting on the camera that is telling it to stop recording after 10 minutes or something I have done wrong?

The vehicle is a 2014 Audi A6 Avant

Thanks very much

Like I say I cant test until I get my multi meter back tomorrow, would the SGDCHW run for 10 minutes if the voltage was too low from the minute the ignition was turned off?

Which voltage setting have you selected on the power lead?

Very good question, I hand't noticed there was a switch on the SGDCHW, I was just left as it came, can you confirm what the 3 positions are unless I am being really thick there was no manual with it and there is no manual online to download?

Could there be a setting on the camera that is telling it to stop recording after 10 minutes or something I have done wrong?
you were the one that got the new camera with the 1.33T firmware?? maybe an issue with that as im having similar issues with it turning off at all random times.

you were the one that got the new camera with the 1.33T firmware?? maybe an issue with that as im having similar issues with it turning off at all random times.

Yeah my camera cam with 1.33. It doesn't cut out anytime whilst there is an ignition feed only during the time lapse and it is almost within a few seconds after exactly 10 minutes. It could be an issues with my SDDCHW settings though as I wasn't aware it was changeable

What timer cut off value have you selected in Parking mode menu settings?

Give me a minute to go check as I'm 90% sure I haven't seen an option for that setting?

Yeah my camera cam with 1.33. It doesn't cut out anytime whilst there is an ignition feed only during the time lapse and it is almost within a few seconds after exactly 10 minutes. It could be an issues with my SDDCHW settings though as I wasn't aware it was changeable

No such issue has been reported with this FW yet, I tested it for over 1 week.

Think you might be spot on with this, Auto shutdown was set to 10 minutes.
Just a bit of feedback though guys these menu is very badly worded/named. To a customer I had no idea it had any relevance to the parking mode.

Is there an option to competletly turn off the shutdwon timer as the maximum seems to be 24 hours?

I had possibly planned to wire in a Celllink backup power and much large Micro SD, which would give me lots of recording time but if the unit wont record for more than 24 hours that would make this redundant?
Ideally I would prefer the unit to record until something on the power side said there is not enough power left time to shut down, its rare for me but I am sure lots of people leave their cars for more than 24 hours such as airport parking
Thanks

isnt there an option of "never" in there or am i imagining it?

Ok I can confirm it is @niko to the rescue again and changing the setting for the auto shutdown do seem to have allowed the unit to continue recording. If there is a way to add an option to never shutdown the unit and allow the unit to rely on the SGDCHW to control if it should continue recording or not this would be handy?

Thanks

Last edited:
Which voltage setting have you selected on the power lead?

Had a better look at the control unit itself and can see the different voltage cut off settings are on the box themselves, I wasn't looking hard enough.

As above the camera is now recording in Time Lapse fine without cutting out since changing the auto shutoff time. 24 hours will be fine for me most of the time, but there is the odd time I leave my car somewhere that I would prefer (power and memory allowing) to record for more than 24 hours.

Things are pretty basic at the moment, as soon as basic operations are secured SG will be adding new features as requested by the users and as the hardware allow for.
As far as i recall one or two requests have already been made, just have to get the basics up and running first.

Things are pretty basic at the moment, as soon as basic operations are secured SG will be adding new features as requested by the users and as the hardware allow for.
As far as i recall one or two requests have already been made, just have to get the basics up and running first.

Yeah I can appreciate that, hopefully having a continuous / never turn off feature shouldn't bee too bad to code and write into the software, its not like requesting a new feature just a new setting within a feature the device already supports.

I have a feeling there may be a reason that option wasn't there from the start though, there is usually method to the madness with these things!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
winter4w SG9663DC & SG9663DCPRO 8