SG9633DC Night Image Quality - Any way to improve it?

saaif88

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

I installed a SG9633DC along with the hardwire kit about a month ago now, and thankfully while I don't have any interesting car footage to showcase, I did manage to get some footage of a guy who ended up breaking into multiple cars on my street, but thankfully not mine.

It's funny enough that this camera is really doing it's job as a "street guardian" more than a dashcam, but I can't complain! The video starts off with him pulling up behind me and parking, walking around checking some cars, then walking in front of my car and checking all of the other cars on the street before finding some that are unlocked.

The problem is that this happened at night, which meant that it was dark, and there was also some fog on my windshield. I think that if the rear video was more clear, I might have been able to make out the license plate or at least the make of the car he was driving, but sadly I couldn't get anything.

If anyone knows of a way to improve the video quality in these conditions, or a way to improve the time lapse frame rate, I would appreciate any information!

Front camera footage: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MZRYimahORUV7t00zHJ3ePAO2MRX2IXZ/view?usp=sharing
Rear camera footage: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TO-l8h9cxADDozflEQmx1aL8BWBo1lS4/view?usp=sharing

First of all, make sure you have removed all protective films from lenses and filters.

Secondly, for the sake of all that is holy, clean the inside of your front and rear windshields like your life depend on it. Like it’s a riflescope during a zombie apocalypse. Pick up a can of Invisible Glass and some decent quality microfiber cloths and get to cleaning. It looks like it may take some time and elbow grease. Once you’ve got it crystal clean, and I mean crystal, start on the outside.

I pretty much never cleaned windows before dashcams, so it have been a rude awakening for me.
My friend just drove thru all of summer not washing his car once, i dident like going for a ride though you could see out of the windscreen just a bit blurred due to all the dead bugs.
If you are a leaf sucker ( smoker ) you really have to be on that inside windscreen.

Hmm, alright guys thanks for the advice. I'll definitely give my windshields a super clean as soon as I can! I don't smoke, so hopefully it stays clean for a while.

Do you think it's worthwhile to get some anti-fog treatments and apply them, or will it just make things worse?

I think that will just make it worse.
A ultra clean windscreen should be less prone to dew settling, if you have a lot of small particles like dirt and maybe smoke too dew should form faster on those.

I assume ! I cant say i have noticed a difference in this after i stopped smoking myself, but then again since i stopped 6 years ago we Danes haven't really seen any winter like in the good old days with snow and all.
In spite of our little country being at least as north as the US / Canadian border, but we have a lot of water around us so snow in more than a few inches have been the norm lately.
As you smoke you will also have to keep a eye on the camera lens to a larger degree that us other guys, i dry wipe mine once in a while with a lens cloth, not sure if you can use any form of solvent on the lens.

I think you have your rear camera pointed up too high... you might be at the mercy of your rear glass though...

You can also experiment with upping the EV settings

If you can almost see something in a vid there are things which might help, but you must have something to work with at the start. I have Pine, Pecan, and Walnut trees where I park, and every morning I have to hit the windshield washer to get the sap dots off. Hate that, but I like trees so.....

Phil

Back