side view car cam

liam0918

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there any car cams that do side on views , what i mean is have the recording box say in the glove box and 2 tiny cameras 1 facing out the drivers window and 1 out the passengers window? i had some trouble today with a nutter who tried to open my door , punch the window and spat at it all because i was waiting to let a ambulance past and he didnt like it

Just buy two regular ones and use them.
G1WH

If looking for small, mobius, mini etc...

is there any car cams that do side on views , what i mean is have the recording box say in the glove box and 2 tiny cameras 1 facing out the drivers window and 1 out the passengers window? i had some trouble today with a nutter who tried to open my door , punch the window and spat at it all because i was waiting to let a ambulance past and he didnt like it

Have a look at this thread.

It's always a good idea to do a search for a thread topic you want to post about before launching another thread on the same topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also buy two Innovv C3s or C4s and mount them to the side

C4
uqvyHrM.jpg

Untxj9F.png

While I don't have it side mounted the C3 has a remote lens that can be put a lot of different places
C3 Lens
caUPrer.jpg

C3 Box
h4X5AQe.jpg

Now that I've been using lateral side cams for awhile I wouldn't be without one. I capture all kinds of things I often didn't even realize were going on until I've reviewed the footage.
Here's an example screenshot from the passenger side rear window of my vehicle. (stopped at a red light)

sideviewexample.jpg

Last edited:
Now that I've been using lateral side cams for awhile I wouldn't be without one
I wonder what the most number of usefully positions cameras is. 4?
Front, back, and lateral both sides

How is your lats placed?

I wonder what the most number of usefully positions cameras is. 4?
Front, back, and lateral both sides

How is your lats placed?

In theory 4 cameras should do it. Let's say each cam had a FOV of 140 degrees. That would cover 560 degrees altogether with a fair amount of overlap. In practice, it's not so simple and doesn't really give you full 360 degree coverage, but it's close. Four cameras seem to work pretty well.

Edit: You'll notice from the screen shot I posted that I point the side facing camera slightly forward toward the front of the vehicle. The coverage picks up just where the front camera leaves off and this technique works quite well. One of the best things about side cameras is that when you come to an intersection you capture the traffic coming towards you from way down the perpendicular side view long before it enters the FOV of the front camera.

Use your phone?

How is your lats placed?

Sorry, I realized that I didn't answer this part of your question. I drive a Toyota Tacoma access cab pick-up. The side cameras are mounted on the darkly tinted rear cab windows. This has been an experiment using older dash cams but it has been so successful that I plan to do a more stealthy permanent install. The dark tinted glass in the rear windows does a pretty good job of hiding the cameras anyway. I've been dabbling with the idea of using two Mobius C cameras laterally but I'm testing out the C lens issues before I go ahead with that scheme. The design of the rear doors of my access cab would allow for an extremely stealthy install if I use Mobius cams. Of course, the front and rear cameras are fairly traditional mounts. A B lens Mobius in the rear and shortly a Street Guardian SG9665GC up front. (arriving tomorrow, so I'll see how the new cam works out)

Last edited:
Use your phone?

Oh hold on, there is a guy coming from the other car to taunt me.
Let me take my phone out.
Its display is off... swipe.
Oh need the password.
Okay he's already at the window.
Where's that camera button? Oh here it is.
Now press the record button and point the phone at the guy who's already mad at you.

Very good plan indeed!

I think the C4 camera in that pic is sitting in the belt clip that come with the innovv C3, you could allso just angle the camera with somthing between it and the shade and then have some rubber bands keeping it up there.

The mobius & Innovv C3 is allso nice little whip out cameras, if set up for it they will start to record with power on so only i button to press.
For a long time a carryed my C3 in my pocket, but sadly it whent up in smoke :confused: witch is quite uncommon for that little action / dash camera.

Oh hold on, there is a guy coming from the other car to taunt me.
Let me take my phone out.
Its display is off... swipe.
Oh need the password.
Okay he's already at the window.
Where's that camera button? Oh here it is.
Now press the record button and point the phone at the guy who's already mad at you.

Very good plan indeed!

Granted, some are slower than other. Learn to use the phone proficiently !

The act of using the phone to protect yourself usually prevents the situation from escalating.

im going to get the C4 cam , is there anywhere i can buy the C3 belt clip for the C4?

im going to get the C4 cam , is there anywhere i can buy the C3 belt clip for the C4?

Before buying the C4 I suggest that you watch this video...

I was interested in buying the C4 for it's discreet form factor & Wi-Fi capability. I am, however, underwhelmed by its video quality, particularly at night, by the absence of a GUI, & the Wi-Fi implementation needs more development.

im going to get the C4 cam
the absence of a GUI, & the Wi-Fi implementation needs more development
This is something I hope to see worked on as well. While I enjoy using mine it does need a little more work, and I have been trying to get a hold of extra belt clips they are not for sale on the site.

If budget is limited, then one Mobius or Innovv could be used to record front and left / right sides if you mount it with an option to be easily rotated in case you need to do this quickly.
I did one of magnetic DIY mounts for Mobius, which I can quickly attach / detach, rotate left or right.

Mobius 360° rotatable Magnetic Mount / Bracket with Quick mount / dismount

Of course in some cases this set-up or the one mentioned above ( attached to sun-visor ) does not allow to record a face of side standing person, so you need something very stealth, then might consider remote lens camera.

One of the stealthiest I found for myself is Street Guardian SGZC12RC / Panorama X1.

It could be mounted to rear or front doors top pillars and main units can be hidden in glove box as OP proposed.

Left side.jpg

Right side.jpg

X1 Mounted In Car (1).jpg

Or if you can find good old #16 / #18 series key-chain cameras, they can be used in those cases where you dont want to have side camera 24/7 and only use it when need to record an action with "bad cop" or other situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back