Simple question re: Rec led

MorkdeNY

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have my SG9665GC behind the rearview mirror, thus I rarely even see it running. Should the REC led be flashing while recording? It caught my attention the other day.

It’s best to install the dashcam behind the rear view mirror in a way where you can’t see it. (In my opinion)

Some people like and want to view it at times though for peace of mind. (personal preference)

If the blinking recording light catches your eye (and you don’t want it to) here is an easy low cost option to dim it:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ean-easy-quick-cheap-fix-lightdims-com.12795/

I like to verify with a glance now and then, good thing i have plenty of room behind my mirror so i can see cameras ( most of them ) over the mirror, or i can bend forward a little to see the bottom of the cameras.
Bad thing is this time of the year, the little LED's are actually pretty hard to make out in daytime, so have to time my look for when i am in shade of something.

I must also admit that the flashing LED is what i would expect with a issue and a steady LED for operational, flashing i always tied mentally to emergencies.

A steady red on/off blinking record indicator has its roots in the old VHS camcorder days. Most people are familiar with this generic example:

You’ll see the same red icon (upper left) on the dashcam LCD screen (when the screen is on) along with the red LED above the screen at the same time. This keeps things consistent no matter where you look.

if you put it in motion detect mode (not something I would suggest, but anyway) when the red light is solid it means it is paused, to my mind a flashing LED is easier to see in bright light than a steady one which makes it easier to know the camera is recording when you're driving

Back