Simple Wide-Angle Cam

LoyalBones

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys, I'm looking for a camera with just video and audio recording, as I feel my phone's gps is plenty and most of the bells and whistles on dash cams seem redundant for my needs. Trying to grab something in the $100 range with just a mic and really wide-angle video that can swivel on its mount just-in-case. Plenty of storage would be nice, but I don't think it's entirely necessary. Definitely don't want something battery operated, as it'd be always plugged in and I'm worried about temperatures.

Overall, I feel the most important thing to me is the wide angle and ease of use.

I've hunted around and I really have no idea what is good and what isnt, so I figured this would be the place to ask!

Welcome to the forum LoyalBones.

I would say you should take a look at the Vantrue E1, but it can not swivel around on its mount.
TBH i think few cameras today have a ball joint mount

The Garmin mini 2 i think have a ball joint.

The Garmin Mini 2 looks interesting! I don't think the swivel goes far enough for what I'm looking for though. The Thinkware F70 is another one that catches my eye.
Are there aftermarket mounts that I could maybe pick up so I could turn whatever cam I want into a swiveling one?

I have only good things to say about the Viofo T130, the interior camera swivel is super useful. You may want to consider the advantage of a most dashcam’s standard inclusion of GPS as they can often burn in metadata as text on the video recordings — very common in security recordings

The T130 do indeed have a interior camera, but it can not swivel to the side, though it is wide angle a person appearing at the driver side window could still be hidden.

When i tested the T130 due to other cameras in my car i had to mount it offset to the left, so pretty much right in front of the driver, so while this did give more of the driver side window in frame, then the person outside would have to lean over very much to present his "ugly" face to the camera.

Of course you could mount at the bottom of the windscreen, but no one would advise that in regard to view out ahead for the front camera.

A #2 option could be the A139 system with the interior camera for a #2 channel, this you could place low at passenger side A pillar aimed at the driver

Personally i do not care for anyone appearing at my driverside window, but mostly if someone want to do that i am out of my car to face him / them face 2 face,,,,, as that is not a problem in Denmark, in the US i would strongly advise against trying to do that.
Good thing CUZ i cant stand people ( any people ) hovering over me,,,,,,, i think its a lingering trauma that go back too my school days.

The T130 interior cam has a swivel on it to turn it towards the driver’s side window.

The Viofo A119 V3 has an optional ball and suction cup mount. It is the right price, simple, and an excellent camera:

1670689864631.png
I wouldn't actually choose to use the suction mount for permanent mounting, but it can be done.

The Viofo A119 V3 happens to be on sale right now for $83.99 USD including the GPS module. That's an amazing price and probably the best bargain in the dash cam industry at the moment.

Back