Site suggestion - How to post + edit your videos

snailtrail

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Just a couple of suggestions to improve this already great site - maybe a 'how to' on posting and editing your videos?

Also perhaps advice if its legally required on how to blur licence plates?

Hi Snailtrail,

For posting videos, Youtube is the best bet since I don't have the space or bandwidth to host here. I know that the quality is reduced a bit due to Youtube compression but I think that is the most efficient way to share videos with others.

Are you looking for:

1. How to edit your clips (cutting / joining) - this depends on software you use
2. How to upload to Youtube
3. How to embed in a post

Perhaps a recommended way of doing the above 3?

As for blurring license plates, I am not sure in all countries but usually license plates are public information. I have yet to see any law banning video recording in public and requiring license plates to be blurred. I know Google Streetview blurs out people's faces and license plates but I'm not sure if they are legally required to do so.

Hi DashCamMan

My suggestion was for perhaps a sticky be provided in the Video section for those who may want a general how to post - maybe all three of your points you raised would be handy to have on this site?

Hi snailtrail,

Sounds like a good idea. I will put it on my to-do list (which is growing while my time is decreasing!).

Thanks for the suggestion.

DashCamMan said:
I know Google Streetview blurs out people's faces and license plates but I'm not sure if they are legally required to do so.

Google has some kind of auto blur type deal for privacy reasons.
slide 4 here

Point 12 here reads

What does Google have in place to ensure privacy and legal compliance?

Street View contains imagery which is no different than what you might see if you visited the property in real life. To help protect user privacy, we have developed cutting-edge face and license plate blurring technology that is applied to all Street View images, and provide easily accessible tools allowing users to request further blurring of any image that features the user, their family, their car or their home. Users can also request the removal of images that feature inappropriate content (for example: nudity or violence). To learn more, please visit the privacy section of our Street View site.

It can be a little hit and miss. Sometimes when i go virtual vacationing to London there are Motorcycle plates that show completely un blurred and on the other extrme side it can accidentally blur junction signs on the M6

In the area of 31 Avery Row, London W1K 4BD, United Kingdom 0.4 ft SW it looks like a Phone Booth is blured out from one side but if you turn around and look at the other side it is not. Just down the street only half of the Audi A4 plate is blurred. (H....) further down the street the white vans plate is partly visible (FX...) but none of the cars in front are at all.

If you take the M6 in Sutton Coldfield, and get off Junction A38 towards Sutton Coldfield at the roundabout there is a Box Van with a black sticker and part of the name blurred out. also there is a silver car with part of the door where the molding is is blurred. The yellow and black part of the sign in the roundabout for Sutton Coldfield is blurred. and then if you go all the way around the roundabout the white box van that was half blurred the name is now fully blurred and the black sticker is fully viable

If you come around the roundabout and go towards Birmingham a little ways up the sign showing the Tolls to get on the M6 is a mess .

Monday-Friday is visible Saturday-Sunday is not
Some tolls under each are both visible and blurred.

Back