SJ7 Star v1.17 Beta1 Firmware & Changelog

How about reset function (hold down 1 or 2 button to reset the camera)? Sometime my SJ7 got stuck on black screen and I can't do anything with it, even shut it down. Then I have to remove the battery to reset it, and it's really annoying , especially when I use waterproof case.
To shut the camera down when it freezes, try holding power button down for 15 seconds. This should turn unit off. Press again to power unit back on. Please confirm this works. Thanks!

To shut the camera down when it freezes, try holding power button down for 15 seconds. This should turn unit off. Press again to power unit back on. Please confirm this works. Thanks!
Thanks for your quick reply. I already tried to hold the power button but just about 5-10s, so nothing didn't happen :D I think 15s is too long, so maybe we should put it in the setting menu, and we can choose the duration needs to turn off the camera?

Guys, if you speak a non-English language supported by the SJ7 Star, can you help translate to xxx?

can you please translate this into XXX?

"This res. doesn't support Rotation"

Need it to be just as short....

Thanks for your quick reply. I already tried to hold the power button but just about 5-10s, so nothing didn't happen :D I think 15s is too long, so maybe we should put it in the setting menu, and we can choose the duration needs to turn off the camera?

This is actually a hardware function... so, we cannot adjust the fw or put it in the menu... plz let us know if the 15secs does work though :)

I've tried out the 1.18 beta FW a little last night and so far I'm impressed. It did freeze once on me but I was using it for about an hour and turning it off and on probably 5 - 10 times. I was able to turn it off when it freeze by holding down the power button for 15 seconds so that worked for me. Much nicer than taking the battery in then out.

Image rotation works well! No mirroring any more, just a straight flip. Now it just needs to be implemented for more of the resolutions.

Slow motion at 1080p 120fps didn't freeze my camera while recording and I was able to take 10 sec clips. Can't comment on the quality as I didn't really look at the videos with too much scrutinity. Also they were recorded outside at night with low light.

I'll continue to use it this weekend and hopefully it holds up and I'll have some good test footage to share!

Let me ask one thing here. I just bought SJ7 and found one issue. I feel WIFI downloading speed is too slow. In SJCAM ZONE app, I tried to download a video file of 200~400MB size but it took over 5~6min. In case of using USB cable in PC, it takes 15~30sec and I think of no issue at my class10 SD card of 32GB size. I'd like to know if it is a design intended or if it is a defect in WIFI module. Except this, others are fine.

it's the expected result, use the app for convenience features, don't expect to download large files though

Yes the wifi speeds are slow with current cameras, at least the affordable action and dash cameras, maybe expensive Sony and Gopro are different, but at least for Gopro i think its the same as it use same hardware.
The same cameras are also slow on the USB cable as a mass storage devise, you are far better off putting the memory card in a good card reader.

it's the expected result, use the app for convenience features, don't expect to download large files though

What is the WIFI specification? The WIFI limit is due to HW or SW? If it is a SW limitation; any plan to enhance it? It feels extremely slow.

Last edited:
Yes the wifi speeds are slow with current cameras, at least the affordable action and dash cameras, maybe expensive Sony and Gopro are different, but at least for Gopro i think its the same as it use same hardware.
The same cameras are also slow on the USB cable as a mass storage devise, you are far better off putting the memory card in a good card reader.

I haven't heard of it and couldn't get the search result showing wifi is slow. :( In case of connecting USB cable, it's not that bad which means I don't need to use card reader. 240MB/17sec.

The best speeds i see off cameras DASH and action ( USB ) are like 10 - 15 MB/s or something, but when u put my memory card in my card reader i get the full 80MB/s my cards can give me. ( 240 MB / 3 seconds )
But you are right in general it dont mean much as you often just get small files off the cameras, but for moving large files like the 9 hour drive a filmed with a SJ6 Legend camera not long ago, then the fast speed in card reader is nice.

Personally i never use WIFI for anything but setup, i dont use it at home on my computers or phones, or that is i have a separate wifi router connect to my home cctv system so i can get alarms on my tablet beside my bed.
But other than that i dont like wifi and dont use it, but i know it is almost like a drug to many young people in this day and age.

@jokkin and kmamar:
In SJCAM ZONE app, I'm able to see real time image on WIFI connection although there is a little delay. I don't have enough idea what the speed rate is in this scenario. But seeing this feature, I think WIFI downloading speed should be faster than my test. Maybe the real time image data is still being transferred during WIF data downloading? Or the WIFI DL speed is limited by SW? As of now, I feel USB connection is usable but would like to know if WIFI DL speed could be enhanced or not.

What is the WIFI specification? The WIFI limit is due to HW or SW? If it is a SW limitation; any plan to enhance it? It feels extremely slow.
The antenna is more important. For action camera, it is hard to use big antenna.
For SJ7, due to use the metal case, the antenna is put in the lens holder.

SJ7 v1.19 fw with Rotation (4k only) has been tested and works well! Stay tuned for official v1.19 release!

As I asked in the .19 Beta area, which of the betas will become the next release? (Yes, I know double posting isn't nice)

Back