SJCAM M10 short review

I just got this cam, the WiFi edition. On the WiFi edition they remove the centre menu button on the side and put a WiFi button. So You'll have to access the menus the same way you did with the SJ4000.

I played around with the cam. I must say it feels nice in the hands, materials are good and looks very nice. The picture quality is okay. It's a bit of blurring on the sides but thats probably because of the wide angle lens. The colors are very blueish (on the cool side) and is a bit too much for my taste. I prefer warmer tones. The menu's are okay. You can tell english is not their first language. The audio recording is horrible. Almost pure garbage in my opinion.

I updated the firmware to the Jan 2015 version and I can no longer edit the WiFi name and password nor the license plate number in the menus. Probably a glitch or error. I tried repudiating it but no luck.

Overall, its a B- in efforts for this cam.

Last edited:
Update: The WiFi model might have a slightly different lens size. I got the Sensei 27-37mm step up ring and there is a lot of play. I'm thinking I need a 25-37mm instead.

I added a few layers of tape to make up the gap, I wouldn't say it's a large gap. I tried the 25 and 25.5, neither fit.

I have just ordered the M10 for use primarily as a dashcam but I also like having the option of using it as an action cam. This to me seems like the perfect combination. I ordered the wifi version as it was literally just a couple of pounds more than the non-wifi version. I have also ordered a GoPro buckle clip which hopefully I can use to make a decent bracket for dashcam use.

if you do order a spare battery though I'd suggest alternating which one you use, if you leave it sitting it will eventually fail

Good news guys.

SJCAM M10 now has a full comprehensive user manual. SJ4000 Wifi manual will be uploaded today as well. Check out these manuals as there may be some overlapping functions and troubleshooting techniques.

M10 Manual

Remember you can also check the SJCAM forums for support. Also sign up for the SJCAM Blog feed

Last edited:
Hi,

Is it to know if it is recording still only indicated by the top blinking blue led light? Is there any indicator on screen to know it is recording now (maybe in newer firmware?), I intend to use it mounted to the car, I guess it is very difficult to see if the top led light to know if it is recording or not.

Is M10 suitable to be use as a dash cam? I was wondering if it could stand the high heat in the car and long recording hours 12 hrs daily? My daily temperature is about 31 degress celsius.

Is there any improvement of the Motion Detection now?

Thanks

Last edited:
Is M10 suitable to be use as a dash cam? I was wondering if it could stand the high heat in the car and long recording hours 12 hrs daily? My daily temperature is about 31 degress celsius.
Welcome to DCT. The M10 is not suitable for such use in your climate. A capacitor-based dashcam is needed. What's your budget?

Budget about 80USD for cam with action cam feature, lower if only dash cam function. I actually like M10 because it has the option of using it as an action cam. Are all sjcam poor heat resistance, what temp is suitable?

The M10's manual states several times that if connected to an external power supply the camera can be operated without the battery.

Is there some way to setup to view the M10 remotely, for example putting the M10 cam in my house living room, maybe connect to my wireless router via wifi function. When I not at home, I can view the M10 from my smartphone app. Thanks

if the WiFi is only a few bucks more, it definitely comes in handy to make the camera even more versatile. I used it to set the camera up outside as a make shift security cam with my tablet as the monitor. The battery on the SJ lasted 1 hour in WiFi broadcast mode. The range was decent for a small camera, you could view at the edge of range, just not remote record. It's also nice when chest or helmet mounting it, so you can aim it perfectly.

Q1. How did you setup "used it to set the camera up outside as a make shift security cam with my tablet as the monitor."

Q2. Is there some way to setup to view the M10 remotely, for example putting the M10 cam in my house living room, maybe connect to my wireless router via wifi function. When I not at home, I can view the M10 from my smartphone app. Thanks

Did anyone managed to get the motion detection work for you? My M10, it could only detect about withing a 0.5 meter range. Any motion more than 0.5 metre does not activate the camera, and it is not really sensitive, does not work all the time. I am wondering if there is any firmware that could make the motion detection work better, so I can use motion detection after I parked my car. 0.5 metre range is too short.

Older model SJ1000 could even detect a longer distance

Ok I just did some more tests, including a longer 3, 3 min clip save and no problems. I notice the blue led on the top blinks blue and yellow rather than just blue, the settings Were unchanged and all clips were all saved. My tests consisted of plugging the USB power cable into the M10, letting it auto record then pulling out the cable to end recording.
Are you testing with "car mode" function? I am wondering if M10 does not have battery in it, does it save correctly in all modes?

Back