SJCam SJ7 Star 4k?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24437
  • Start date
The SJ7 is definitely something to watch out for given its specs and price.

The SJ7 is definitely something to watch out for given its specs and price.

This year Chinese New Year is coming in mid January so this will mean the SJ7 will be officially released in February after production gets back to normal. There may or may not be a small production run before CNY. Still to be confirmed.

SJCAM SJ7 Star vs Gopro Hero 5 footage. Will take daytime footage over the weekend if we have blue skies :)

We will send out 1-2 tester / prototype units for the SJ7 Star. Please PM me (better yet email tony@sjcamhd.com) if you are an action cam expert and can provide constructive feedback on how to make firmware improvements, find bugs, and maybe even shoot nice footage & edit for youtube channels. If we receive more than 1-2 applicants, they winners will be drawn at random. No linking to affiliate programs other than SJCAMHD.com's for tester units.

This year Chinese New Year is coming in mid January so this will mean the SJ7 will be officially released in February after production gets back to normal. There may or may not be a small production run before CNY. Still to be confirmed.
Does the circuitry in the SJ7 Star contain a battery to maintain the date/time when the owner changes the camera's main battery?

I think i spotted a little RTC battery in there, it would suck if the time/date go off for a simple battery change.

A DCT sj 7 owner said that when he removes the battery the date/time resets
He has some video in one these Star threads.

I will do a little experimentation on this tomorrow when i get home from visiting my dear old mother

It look like the guy is right, i took out battery, browsed the internet for a few minutes and then put in the battery again, and the time is now 01/08/2016 and time 00:00:00.
I cant tell if this is a battery failure or maybe just a line of code in firmware that prevent time to be saved correctly, i assume bot is a option.

It look like the guy is right, i took out battery, browsed the internet for a few minutes and then put in the battery again, and the time is now 01/08/2016 and time 00:00:00.
I cant tell if this is a battery failure or maybe just a line of code in firmware that prevent time to be saved correctly, i assume bot is a option.
Say, Kamkar1 will you use the newly announced SJCam Sj7 Star tester option to ask them about this?
I can't see myself carrying an external battery pack with me on shoots to be sure the cam maintains the date. I personally want this record, although to some owners it is probably unimportant!

I think its a general thing with the firmware, in basic no change to settings are sticking to the camera when you turn it off, and i would assume the camera is supposed to boot with the last used settings.
And i think the time keeping issue is a part of this.

All other things you do change in settings appear to work and can be used, but when you turn it off it will boot with default settings next time.

Only thing i have noticed not working when you change it is the gyro image stabilization, and i dont think it work at all but without 2 cameras side by side i cant tell if it is working but only a little.

My head 2 head with the SJ6 on low image stabilization clearly work well on the SJ6 but the Sj7 dont seem to have any IS going though it was set to on in that recording.

The Sj6 is much better working but off course it also have a head start on the Sj7, but i am sure the SJ7 will close that gap soon.

Myself i will not be using time/date stamp in the footage, on the dashcams i also only have that on the front camera, the sides and rear it just annoy me.

It looks like the SJ7 has vent holes on top. That's good for getting rid of heat but, depending on what's directly below, it might let dust into the camera. Maybe a metal heat sink is directly below the vent holes and sealed off from the camera interior? And as another poster said, a metal case could be very hot to handle if it's been sitting in the sun on a hot day.

I've never had a problem with my SJ4000 overheating after a year-and-a-half of use, nor has there been any distortion of the case or swelling of the battery. This despite the fact that I use it as a dash cam in Georgia, USA, where we had many days of 38C+ heat last summer, the inside of my truck gets blistering hot, and I've always used it with the battery while connected to a 12V adapter. One hopes the SJ7 will continue to record, day after day, month after month, in such conditions.

It seems there should be a small battery on the board. The official release model will definitely have internal battery so time, etc can be saved.

Back