SJCam SJ8 PRO - Custom Firmware

I'm currently using/testing v1.3.0 mod 4.4b1 by Kaliningrad and vmax which you can get from the Russian forum http://videoreg.forum2.net/viewtopic.php?id=79&p=33#p8499. The direct link for that firmware is on https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K5_bwCn9xecCUMyQRGqSIWVLke96cP6l/view

So far I like the flat color profile with the mod improvements better than stock firmware 1.3.2 because the dark areas show more detail and the flat profile is remembered when you turn the camera off and on.

I translated/read all 36 pages. You will have to register to read that forum. For some reason that web site does not let you highlight text to copy and paste but there is a workaround. If you use the Brave browser (and probably Chrome or Opera) then Print Preview will let you highlight text. Then you can copy and paste it into Google Translate.

Here are my notes for the most important parts:
This is firmware mod 4.4 beta 1 made by Kaliningrad and v_max. It is based on firmware 1.3.0.

Use the Flat color profile instead of Vivid. Change the ISO to a fixed number and then change the color profile to Flat. Restart Camera. Then you can change the ISO back to ISOMax.

Google Translated from message #979 on http://videoreg.forum2.net/viewtopic.php?id=79&p=33#p8499

v_max wrote:
SergV wrote:
Now, if these curve settings were transferred to the latest beta firmware of Kaliningrad - it would be very good!

Drag and drop as soon as possible ... no question at all ..
but so far in 4.4.b1 there is a problem with the fact that when you select any ISOMAX when switching vivid / flat, the profile does not change in fact
those. in the menu it changes but no more ... the picture does not change
On ISO fixes, all the rules ... So, you must first deal with this misunderstanding ...

Well, in general, with the problem of switching profiles in ISOMAX modes, the problem hung.
For now, you have to adapt to this behavior.
Who should use it. Spread with permission of the Master.
Based on the mod 4.4 beta1 of Kaliningrad
1. fixed bitrates
2. gamma curves for my taste
3. Done settings FLAT mode
4. Expo tweaked to my taste (center made more center)
Mater is a separate respect for the kindly provided fashion bytes that are taken as the basis for this opus.
Threat Ideal thing is unattainable, but the taste and color of all the markers are different ...
If someone doesn’t like anything from my tweaks - take a tool and saw it to your taste yourself.

-----------------

from page 34 http://videoreg.forum2.net/viewtopic.php?id=79&p=34

19.04.2020 12:26:01

Kaliningrad
Hello,
I wanna purchase a cam with good price/parameters ratio and it seems that SJ8 Pro and Yi 4K+ are the best choice.
I more convinced to SJ8 Pro with your MODed firmware. What is your opinion about those both cams (which is better) ?
Basic purpose will be a moto riding (recording in 1080p 60fps).
But a few questions still bother me:
1. what is a difference between MOD 4.2 (I suppose most stable one) and others (I see that now v4.4 beta1 is available) ?
2. is it huge difference in video quality between MOD 4.2 and official 1.3.1 in 1080p 60fps ?
3. whats is difference between other MODS from Nutsey and V-MAX ? Which one is the best ?
4. to avoid bricking my cam, do I need to install official 1.3 first and then your MOD 4.2 ? or I can install it directly from any official version ?
4. if I wanna revert from this MOD 4.2 to official 1.3.1 then first I have to revert to 1.3 and then upgrade to 1.3.1 ?
5. do you have also all options/modes/menus available in this MOD 4.2 like in official one (eg.1.3) or some are missing/not working ?
Thanks for answer

-------
19.04.2020 13:22:10
I wanna purchase a cam with good price/parameters ratio and it seems that SJ8 Pro and Yi 4K+ are the best choice.
I more convinced to SJ8 Pro with your MODed firmware. What is your opinion about those both cams (which is better) ?
Basic purpose will be a moto riding (recording in 1080p 60fps).
You think in the right direction. If you do not need a waterproof box, then I would pay attention GitUp F1.
If you can find ThiEYE T5e or Andoer AN7000 on an Ambarella processor for sale, then this would also be a good choice.
1. what is a difference between MOD 4.2 (I suppose most stable one) and others (I see that now v4.4 beta1 is available) ?
In the parameters of sharpness and detail...
2. is it huge difference in video quality between MOD 4.2 and official 1.3.1 in 1080p 60fps ?
I don’t remember right away, but it seems like there are no changes, except for those indicated above.
3. whats is difference between other MODS from Nutsey and V-MAX ? Which one is the best ?
It is difficult to answer for someone else's work. It’s easier to compare by flashing the camera twice...
4. to avoid bricking my cam, do I need to install official 1.3 first and then your MOD 4.2 ? or I can install it directly from any official version ?
4. if I wanna revert from this MOD 4.2 to official 1.3.1 then first I have to revert to 1.3 and then upgrade to 1.3.1 ?
Firmware can be installed in any order. The version number does not matter...
5. do you have also all options/modes/menus available in this MOD 4.2 like in official one (eg.1.3) or some are missing/not working ?
The functionality of the camera on modified and original firmware is identical...

--------------------
Notes: Photo mode may not have best color. Use RAW instead.
ISOMAX has a bug:

27.04.2020 14:43:19 (translated):

but so far in 4.4.b1 there is a problem with the fact that when you select any ISOMAX when switching vivid / flat, the profile does not change in fact
That is, to change the mode, you need to switch to a fixed ISO, change, and then switch back to ISO MAX, I’m right
And another question - how can I find out in the menu directly or indirectly, what firmware is it - stock or mod?

v1.3.0 mod 4.4b1 works well and the only other bug I notice is setting the length of video to 10 minutes or more will just result in a file that is 7 minutes and 50 seconds (when using 4K 30fps HEVC and microSD is formatted using the camera as exFAT). Using the 5 minutes length will actually result in 5 minute clips. I don't see any lag or missing video between video segments.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T SJ8 0
Back