SJCAM SJ9 series

el Producente

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Dash Cam
list is too long
Seems SJCAM is about to release a brand new action camera series: SJCAM SJ9 including SJ9 Strike and SJ9 Max.
Both will be waterproof up to 10m without case.
Finally a manufacturer tackling GoPro's USP of having a waterproof cam without case.
Latest news here:
SJCAM SJ9 series - Overview

Just saw this.
But i am not sure i dare to pull the trigger on one after the disaster i had with the SJ8 pro that worked for 30 seconds and then never was able to turn on again.
And i suspect a lot of SJ8 pro owners will be saddened by this, cuz it pretty much mean that no further updates will happen for those and some still have issues with those it seem.

K, did you take it apart to investigate the trouble, or get a new one? The days of replacing a tester's unit are long gone aren't they? I think you said you bought this one? The Sjcam Community forum has a lot of unsatisfied sj8 owners.They are sticking with the under performing H 22, like they stuck with the dud A12 ! I'm a Yi 4k/4k+ satisfied user now!

No did nothing just returned it to Amazon.uk for a refund.

The Sj9 at least on the inside look to be much like the sj8pro just in wp housing.

Last edited:
I wonder if a few (gp5) of (Amazon and buyer)owners will have leaky housings?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd skip the SJ9 Pro after the firmware issues I had with the SJ8 Pro. The SJ8 Pro only worked well in 4k 30fps. Lower resolutions with 60fps or higher caused the camera to freeze or crash after recording for a few minutes; also I don't think the 1440p 60fps was a real 60fps. The SJ8 has been out for a year and it still has those issues with the latest firmware (v1.30).

SJ9 Max seems to be based on Novatek NT96660 SoC and 4MP OV4689 CMOS...

I will need 1080/240 in a new camera, and i think this are just 1080/120,,,,, which isent bad but really for me 240 FPS would be so nice.

yo no hablar español that good, but that look more than a informercial than a review

I guess, almost nobody (maybe top influencers) get their hands on the product... don't you think?:rolleyes::unsure:

Thanks for sharing! I was looking for more info in spanish but there is only one review sj9 for now.

Thanks again.
According to this review sj9 strike has Ambarella H22. sj8 pro also has Ambarella H22. Does it mean sj9 strike has only few new features, but general it is this same?

If sjcam will give good firmware maybe it could be used also to sj8 pro?

I wish they would have left out that wireless charging BS, i would never use that so buying a product with it would be a bit "troubled" by that fact from the get go.
But otherwise yes i think the SJ8 top model are much like SJ9 top model in regard to hardware and image quality, so if you have a SJ8pro i see no reason to upgrade to a 9 strike.
It is a bit sad it can not handle 4K/60 EIS and don't have 1080/240 FPS
And now i hear dji are about to release a action camera, and have a PRO version of the osmo pocket, so those 2 are for sure something i would wait for if i was to spend money on a action camera or something like the osmo pocket / pro

According to this review sj9 strike has Ambarella H22. sj8 pro also has Ambarella H22. Does it mean sj9 strike has only few new features, but general it is this same?

If sjcam will give good firmware maybe it could be used also to sj8 pro?

We will have to wait for information about the software, but I don't think you will be able to get the "SuperSmooth Stabilization" because the SJ9 includes 6-axis gyro... I hope it works like the GoPro Hypersmooth solution :)

I wish they would have left out that wireless charging BS, i would never use that so buying a product with it would be a bit "troubled" by that fact from the get go.
But otherwise yes i think the SJ8 top model are much like SJ9 top model in regard to hardware and image quality, so if you have a SJ8pro i see no reason to upgrade to a 9 strike.
It is a bit sad it can not handle 4K/60 EIS and don't have 1080/240 FPS
And now i hear dji are about to release a action camera, and have a PRO version of the osmo pocket, so those 2 are for sure something i would wait for if i was to spend money on a action camera or something like the osmo pocket / pro

Woooahh ! I didn't know that DJI was going to release an action camera, and also a PRO version of the OSMO POCKET.... Where did you get this info??? Would it be amazing to read a bit more about it..

Thanks!

Yes the new PRO version will not be so pocket friendly i think, i hear rumors of both it and the action camera having 1" sensors.

The current osmo pocket are sweet product too, have seen some nice videos made with in in the past weeks, and personally i prefer this way of doing it for the bulk of my filming as its not really that action like.
I especially like its object tracking, not least as it is so small and don't really have a viewfinder, so a tracking option to help you zero in on the target with the camera on a pole down near the ground a long way from your eye are sweet.
If i was to get my dream action camera in shape it would be like the gitup F1, and i would like the performance of the very best conventional action cameras, at least the hyper smooth EIS and 1080/240 would be nice too.
I would like to film in 4K/60 too, really like some of that material to throw after my new computer, though i do think it might be best to wait with that until i also have the GFX card upgraded.

I think if you are a camera maker you would be stupid to dismiss dji, they have already made some nice cameras for their drones.

At the moment its just gossip i have heard about the dji products, only tech information i have hears is the sensor size and it should have no fish eye so got to have a pretty narrow FOV.

Back