SJCAM SJDash Dashcam VIdeo Review

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, I got a review of the dashcam from SJCAM. It was sent to me for review by gearbest but curiously enough its not listed on their site anymore. if you are interested click the youtube video to check the description for a few different links.

Worth noting, it did arrive "dead" out of the box, but updating the firmware fixed it. Seems a bit ridiculous but if it happens to you it just takes a few min to get it up and running.

This is a budget camera currently around $80 (on amazon at least as of Oct-30-17) with an LCD screen, WiFi and smart phone app support, and a suction cup mount. It uses the Novatek 96658 chipset and Sony CMOS IMX323. So its specs are a bit dated, but again it is a budget cam with WiFi.

I think if people are looking for a wifi cam this is a good option to look at, but besides that there wasn't anything stand out about it. The g1w-s doesn't have wifi but is cheaper, and comes with a suction cup mount, adhesive mount, and handle bar mount. The Anker Roav C2 is also a "digital camera" style dash cam with a suction cup mount but also has an adhesive mount. The the Anker Roav C2 is currently the same price as the SJDash. While it does not have wifi, it does have physical buttons which I prefer and audio alerts such as when the memory card needs to be formatted or if its missing which I like.

But the SJ app does work pretty well, I had no issues with connectivity, where as it seems most wifi cams give me at least minor issues such as requiring me to turn 4G off on my phone.

The video quality is about what you would expect for the specs of this camera, but the night quality did seem slightly worse that others in the price range. It seemed like oncoming headlights and street lights give so much bloom its like it blinds the camera. The detail is about the same when you are trying to read signs or plates though.

For a little bit more you can have an A119 or Anker Roav C1 Pro (which also comes with a 32gb samsung card) so the SJDash might be a hard sell. but if you really want a camera that uses a suction cup mount to use in multiple cars, and really want wifi, then take a look:

Thanks for sharing!

Back