Slow in darkness

This depends on the SDK, I don't think Novatek will change this, we did checking this with them before.
@gitup , Can the camera boost the ISO to 3200 or 6400 to avoid the frame doubling?
Sometimes I see ( photo) cameras with the max selectable iso is 3600 but in a special mode can boost it to 6400 or more.
The noise can be deleted with post-processing but the doble frame not.

I did a quick test, turned the camera from a well lit area to a intermediate lit one while recording in 1080/60p.
Exposure for the dark area was 1/33s and ISO 149, reported in EXIF by the camera taking a photo there.

Auto-raising the ISO above 149*4= 600 the camera could have maintain the required 1/120sec but it started producing duplicate frames in dark area (checked in PremierePro).
ISO 800 would be absolutely acceptable image quality (way better than the effect of duplicate frames) but it seems Novatek avoid using it.

I tested once and ISO 400 was the higest ISO aceptable to me. Maybe 800 is good enough also to avoid this.

Here is an other user's sample very similar to my test.

The first is Git2 with jittery/duplicated frames :

The second is sj5000x with scaling up ISO (around 800) to keep the frame rate :

The second is way better user experience to me. But as we know from Gitup Novatek SDK is limiting this for git2 unfortunately :(

And here I was wondering why my Git2 was doubling every frame when recording in 60 fps. Then I found this thread, guess that explains it.
Although the light conditions for me weren't that bad. Yeah, it was around 90 minutes before sunset and in the woods, but it still seemed bright enough...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjm3r8fvrqm69uv/test2.mp4?dl=0

The second is way better user experience to me. But as we know from Gitup Novatek SDK is limiting this for git2 unfortunately :(
This is not the limitation only for Git2, it is Novatek behavior.
For Novatek, it choose drop frames instead of making video darker.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Git2 0
S Git2 4
Back