Slow to start up/start recording

Andy Moore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Blackvue has been working great for many years.

Recently, takes 2-3 miles before it starts recording, seems as if something to do with the built in movement sensor.

When you first setoff, both lights just keep flashing (Blue & Amber) then 0-5mins or 2-3 milles later says its starting
to record then works like a dream.

Any ideas ?

Battery going flat How is the date on it
Does it actually have a battery? Or are you talking about the car battery? If the latter, as soon as the car's alternator is running, there should be no voltage problems.

formatted the card recently?
Agreed, have you formatted the card recently? SD cards are basically the brain of the camera.
So if that's not working, then there is a problem.

Stuart @ BlackboxMyCar

Does it actually have a battery? Or are you talking about the car battery? If the latter, as soon as the car's alternator is running, there should be no voltage problems.

I wouldnt have asked if it didnt have one. They have a capacitor to allow shutdown without corrupting the last file and a small button battery to retain the settings like date etc. Both can fail The older ones from DR500 back had a Lipo battery instead of a cap and the same button battery in all models. Have replaced both batteries in several cameras

So presumably it looses the last GPS position as well, so effectively does a 'cold start' taking quite a long time to get a sat lock? This time will probably also be extended quite a lot if the receiver is moving (car being driven).

Agreed, have you formatted the card recently? SD cards are basically the brain of the camera.
So if that's not working, then there is a problem.

Stuart @ BlackboxMyCar
As I understand it the "brain" is in the camera from new as you get a blank card with a new one and when you get new firmware you put it on a card and that loads into the camera. It actually says "Upgrading the Blackvue " so should be a clue. You can then put a blank card in the camera and it loads what it needs onto the card again. However corruption can occur between the two and can be fixed by inserting another card upon which the Camera "brain" will again write the required files

So presumably it looses the last GPS position as well, so effectively does a 'cold start' taking quite a long time to get a sat lock? This time will probably also be extended quite a lot if the receiver is moving (car being driven).
Yes and no Usually gets a lock better if you are moving but can take up to 20 mins depending where in the world you are.
Here in Aus is usually less. In my 450 in the rear I have the GPS module on a side window and occasionally get drop outs depending on the cars orientation. EG If it is facing south for a while

I wouldnt have asked if it didnt have one.
I just asked as I didn't realise that it had one (although it is painfully obvious when prompted to think about it).
Some people do ask totally irrelevant questions when answering questions on forums.
Usually gets a lock better if you are moving.
You could be right, but this is not my experience. It always takes longer if you 'drive off' rather than waiting. But I normally drive off anyway.

You could be right, but this is not my experience. It always takes longer if you 'drive off' rather than waiting. But I normally drive off anyway.

if you are facing in a direction where you don't have great line of sight in the direction of the satellites then moving can help, if you do have clear line of sight you'll get a lock faster if not moving, so the short answer is, it depends

Hello everyone! Even after replacing the internal battery, I'm still having the same problem with my camera - it takes about 10 minutes to boot up. Once it's started, it records fine.

Any other suggestions to fix it? Thank you.

Have you checked your memory card, you need to format it in the camera now and then, also they dont last forever the little memory cards, depending on how much you drive 2 - 3 years are about the norm.
But if you are unlucky it can also be much shorter, i have tried 2 times where i barely got to fill the memory card 1 time ( genuine top quality memory cards )

You can test the card with the little H2testw software, and you can also format it on the computer using SD formatted ( full format ) from the SD asso

Also not familiar with the blackvue brand, but if the camera have a reset hardware button it is worth trying, and maybe also try load default settings.

Try the above and then try using the 12V adapter to the vehicle's cigarette socket, and see if the same issue occurs. If not, something to do with the hardwire kit/fuses used (this is assuming you're hardwired).

The camera is hardwired with the BlackVue Power Pagic Pro kit.

I formatted the card today and it took 13 minutes before the camera finally announced that it was preparing the card. Normally this happens as soon as it's turned on.

It's always between 10-15 minutes before it starts to record. No lights on the camera during this time, and it never cuts off unexpectedly so it seems like it's getting stable power.

Update:

So...
The camera never shut down unexpectedly during use.
The camera always took about the same amount of time to start recording from cold (AKA, first drive in the morning after the PMP had already killed power to it)
The camera usually started recording quickly after starting to drive at the end of the day after work.

Must be the internal battery and waiting to get a GPS lock, right?

The damn cigarette lighter plug between the camera and PMP tucked under the dash had decided to work its way loose.

:ROFLMAO:

It's always between 10-15 minutes before it starts to record. No lights on the camera during this time
Do what BlackBoxMyCar said, try the cig adapter to a power port. It sounds like you are having power problems almost like I am. I found I am not getting power to the camera when this happens, but have yet to search for the actual point of loss. The Jeep doesn't get driven but twice a month so it's not high on the list of things to fix around here. I have a bad car battery in the Jeep, I use a solar panel to keep it startable, so pmp starts the camera cold almost every time. Whenever it does get power right away, it starts recording in seconds.

Running late for work again.

Back