So many options.. some advice please?

Kae

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm currently looking to purchase my very first dash cam and am quite puzzled on which brand would fit my needs the best. I was looking into the blacksys cf-100 but heard the rear camera is utterly useless.

Could someone please advice me on direction? :)

Must have features are:

- 2 way front and rear (will also consider running two solo cams depending on price)

- pre buffering parking mode w/ motion & g-sensor (I park overnight in a parking lot and I will be using this feature literally every day)

- clear visibility of license plates

- discreet to deter thieves

- capacitor? In toronto Canada and we get a mixture of -20 and +25 temperatures, would it be better than a battery?

I could careless for GPS or having a screen as I can always connect it to my phone when needed to retreive files. I'd appreciate any help offered in assistance

Last edited:
I'm currently looking to purchase my very first dash cam and am quite puzzled on which brand would fit my needs the best. I was looking into the blacksys cf-100 but heard the rear camera is utterly useless.

Could someone please advice me on direction? :)

Must have features are:

- 2 way front and rear (will also consider running two solo cams depending on price)

- pre buffering parking mode w/ motion & g-sensor (I park overnight in a parking lot and I will be using this feature literally every day)

- clear visibility of license plates

- discreet to deter thieves

I could careless for GPS or having a screen as I can always connect it to my phone when needed to retreive files. I'd appreciate any help offered in assistance

I haven't seen any dual cameras offered that stand out. It seems like typically the rear camera only runs 720p and in turn it's best to run 2 solo cameras to manage independently of one another. It might be a bit more expensive, depending on which 2 you choose.

Clear visibility of license plates while in parking mode will be relative to the lighting that surrounds where you park and if the culprit car has working license plate lights.

Do you have a spending limit? Do both Cameras need motion and g-sensor? Are you hard wiring?

I haven't seen any dual cameras offered that stand out. It seems like typically the rear camera only runs 720p and in turn it's best to run 2 solo cameras to manage independently of one another. It might be a bit more expensive, depending on which 2 you choose.

Clear visibility of license plates while in parking mode will be relative to the lighting that surrounds where you park and if the culprit car has working license plate lights.

Do you have a spending limit? Do both Cameras need motion and g-sensor? Are you hard wiring?

Would probably be the better idea to run two independent cams since my rear view window will also be tinted.

Spending limit would probably be under $300US. Ideally both front and rear with g-shock and motion;however, most of the time I reverse park so might only need the front with those features. Yes I will be hardwiring them to run 24/7.

Any other recommendations are welcomed guys, thanks

Someone who knows more will more than likely chime in, but have you had a look at the mini 0806? It seems to fit all your needs and would run you maybe $200 for the pair.

The only concern is that what I've read is the quality was in question originally and I'm not sure it's recovered since then.

I might be a bit confused, but parking mode I thought was also motion detection. So the camera will be powered, but won't record until it detects something. Were you wanting to do that? Or record 24/7? If you just want to record 24/7 it seems like parking mode and g-sensor wouldn't be a requirement.

What is your budget ?

They said under $300 for the pair.
Sorry, didn't see you already replayed above on budget.
2ch pre-buffer + discrete + high quality product from good reliable local seller is hard to recommwnd within 300$.

Sorry, didn't see you already replayed above on budget.
2ch pre-buffer + discrete + high quality product from good reliable local seller is hard to recommwnd within 300$.

I am flexible with the budget. Which dashcams do you recommend for my needs? I'm also open to getting two individual cams. It doesn't necessarily have to be a dual channel

Last edited:
Someone who knows more will more than likely chime in, but have you had a look at the mini 0806? It seems to fit all your needs and would run you maybe $200 for the pair.

The only concern is that what I've read is the quality was in question originally and I'm not sure it's recovered since then.

I might be a bit confused, but parking mode I thought was also motion detection. So the camera will be powered, but won't record until it detects something. Were you wanting to do that? Or record 24/7? If you just want to record 24/7 it seems like parking mode and g-sensor wouldn't be a requirement.

Pre-buffered parking mode is where the dash cam will be recording while car is parked but will only save files when g-sensor or motion detection is triggered. It saves the previous 10 seconds and for a period of time thereafter

The mini 806 doesnt have the feature unfortunately

Last edited:
There's someone selling a blacksys cf-100 for $160 private sale brand new in the box. What do you guys think? Is it worth the buy?

There's someone selling a blacksys cf-100 for $160 private sale brand new in the box. What do you guys think? Is it worth the buy?

Not when you can buy it brand new for $100 ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00KFYG0K0 ... though I've just noticed you're in Canada, so it's probably not available to you. Welcome to DCT.

Last edited:
Must have features are ... pre buffering parking mode w/ motion & g-sensor (I park overnight in a parking lot and I will be using this feature literally every day) ... discreet to deter thieves ... capacitor ...

Your $300US budget is ok for an SGZC12RC (front) & Mobius (rear) ...

Not when you can buy it brand new for $100 ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00KFYG0K0 ... though I've just noticed you're in Canada, so it's probably not available to you. Welcome to DCT.

I noticed that before. When I try to check out it says $7 shipping and $12 import fee deposit. I've never ordered anything from amazon US so I don't really know what to expect in terms of duties

Last edited:
I noticed that before. When I try to check out it says $7 shipping and $12 import fee deposit. I've never ordered anything from amazon US so I don't really know what to expect in terms of duties

You can get the CF-100 front camera for $109 Canadian ... https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B00MI56W02

Pre-buffered parking mode is where the dash cam will be recording while car is parked but will only save files when g-sensor or motion detection is triggered. It saves the previous 10 seconds and for a period of time thereafter

Right, so I was asking if you wanted it to record 24/7 or just when triggered. I've read some of them aren't so good for parking/g-sensor or they are too good and recording every leaf that blows by. I think that's why some folks choose to just record 24/7.

According to this website all Mini's have g-sensor and motion detection (which I thought was the same as parking mode.)

According to this website all Mini's have g-sensor and motion detection (which I thought was the same as parking mode.)

It's a start/stop motion, so you'll miss the events leading up to the trigger. (so not true parking mode) Plus it's not good to leave a battery powered cam such as the mini hard wired.

Pre-Buffer is better because it captures the moments leading up to the trigger so the actual impact/whatever event is not missed. SGZC12SS/SGZC12SG/SGZC12RC all have 5-second pre-buffer. (and have super caps instead of batteries)

With the holidays coming up, does anyone know a website that will be having a boxing day sale or so?

Back