So what was wrong with this driving?

Jeez we haven't been bent over for the toll roads too badly here yet but give it time I guess. So that's why you have those passes so they can charge you accordingly?

We do have a section called the M6 Toll which initially was great as you could pay your £7 and then once through the barrier everyone would use it as a racetrack - these days police are on there now. It's a lovely bit of road though but for that price should be.

I had a TomTom ****up last time and it took me on there for two junctions - I was gutted!

The main backbone of the UK is the M1 and that thing is covered in 50mph sections with the average cameras on there - I was doing 30 junctions each way a day at one point on there and that seriously dragged going backwards and forwards at 50mph.

No one will argue with the physics Nigel. But you missed the point. You would only be doing the faster speeds when it is safe to do so.
That is a point that is completely and deliberately overlooked by all the "road safety" campaigns. It's part of the dumbing down of the driving public we're talking about.

Why do people "speed"? Not because they are deliberately doing something unsafe or dangerous. They're only doing it because they have perceived the circumstances safe enough for them to do it. There have been estimates that this is the case about 98% of the time. So only about 2% have been "speeding" in circumstances that were not safe to do so. It is only those that should be targeted by enforcement. Not the vast majority of drivers that are driving safely.

Precisely!

Do you guys have the average speed cameras on motorways nowadays? They started off on roadworks but they're slowly making some of them permanent fixtures - it does seem to work to keep flow going and also keeps emissions down as a result as there's less stop / start traffic.

In my home state of Queensland we only have one of these. It's on the Bruce Hwy north of Brisbane. It's quite a long stretch of open country dual-carriageway. Nice bit of road where you could comfortably do a good speed. There had been a few cars leaving the road along here due to fatigue being being about 40-60 minutes north of Brisbane for daily commuters. Slowing people down won't reduce the onset of fatigue though, only makes it worse. And some people simply not slowing down for wet weather.
Fortunately I never have to drive that whole stretch because I live out to the side of it.

Like all fixed speed camera systems, they are NEVER installed in locations where going above the speed limit is genuinely dangerous or even of heightened risk. NEVER.

Heavy vehicle operators are subject to fatigue management systems where cameras mounted on overhead gantries will work out how long it took to get between units. As far as I know it's not supposed to be checking speed per se, but making sure you've had appropriate stops etc.
But I can see it wouldn't be hard for authorities to change it to check everyone....

Back