Some advice on replacing car camera

Wullie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've been reading posts & threads on here for a while as I'm looking to replace my existing camera with a more robust model. I have a few models in mind but I've spent that long looking I keep changing my mind on what to get.

I'm looking for reliabilty & a decent picture/video quality.

I have currently a G1W fitted to both our cars in the front & I've been happy with the video quality & recently it has assisted in a claim when my car was written off catching the moments upto & including the momoent I hit a transit at 50-55 mph that had pulled out in front of me.
However since the accident it keeps losing the date & time it could be coinsidence but I'll keep it for the rear & fit newer ones into the front.

My short list is:

Transcend DP200
Nextbase 402G
Blacksys CF-100
DOD models

I'm really not sure on what to get & youtube videos quality doesnt reflect the actual quality hence the reason I'm asking. I've read mixed reviews on all the above & of coarse any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Hi All,

I've been reading posts & threads on here for a while as I'm looking to replace my existing camera with a more robust model. I have a few models in mind but I've spent that long looking I keep changing my mind on what to get.

I'm looking for reliabilty & a decent picture/video quality.

I have currently a G1W fitted to both our cars in the front & I've been happy with the video quality & recently it has assisted in a claim when my car was written off catching the moments upto & including the momoent I hit a transit at 50-55 mph that had pulled out in front of me.
However since the accident it keeps losing the date & time it could be coinsidence but I'll keep it for the rear & fit newer ones into the front.

My short list is:

Transcend DP200
Nextbase 402G
Blacksys CF-100
DOD models

I'm really not sure on what to get & youtube videos quality doesnt reflect the actual quality hence the reason I'm asking. I've read mixed reviews on all the above & of coarse any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Welcome to forum !

I had ( and still have ) all of above mentioned models ( Nextbase = Dod ).
If form-factor suits you, then DP200 and CF-100 are two choices I would go for. Of course with CF-100 you will get a rear camera as a bonus. It's is only 720p with low bit-rate, but still do the job for rear action recording.

Thanks for the welcome & for your replies.

Niko I'm not sure what you mean by form factor?
I'll go searching to find the answer.

So those 2 & good value & quality etc?

Thanks for the welcome & for your replies.

Niko I'm not sure what you mean by form factor?
I'll go searching to find the answer.

The physical size and shape.

Cheers.

I'm swaying towards the transcend as I think it'll fit better in the car.

Cheers.

I'm swaying towards the transcend as I think it'll fit better in the car.

try and get a look at it with the mount if possible, plenty of cameras have mounts that are as big as or bigger than the camera themselves

Transcend DP200 installed in my car

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

Doesn't look to bad to be fair.
I guess your more than happy with quality of videos?
Off for some searching on a good price.
Video- and built quality is good on this model.
Two things I would change for slightly more discrete look.
1. Buy low profile mount.
2. Paint chrome lens surronding ring into black.

Is this the model your using in your car?

Those ideas will make a little more discreet thanks.

Is this the model your using in your car?

Those ideas will make a little more discreet thanks.

Despite it's a good dashcam, I do not use it due to design. Too big, it's a magnet for thieves if left in the car. I am to "lazy?" ( read: convenient ) to mount-dismount few times per day when I leave/enter car. I prefer discrete style dascham which I can leave in car for 24/7 and preferable with parking motion detection function. But thats just my opinion in regards to my needs. For other people DP-200 may suit OK.

I don't have an issue leaving it in the car.
The G1W is easily spotted although the transcend will be a bit bigger.
I'll nip to halfords & get a look at it over the weekend.
Wonder if a parking one would work some more searching needed I think.

Cheers for the replies & assistance so far.

I don't have an issue leaving it in the car.
The G1W is easily spotted although the transcend will be a bit bigger.
I'll nip to halfords & get a look at it over the weekend.
Wonder if a parking one would work some more searching needed I think.

Cheers for the replies & assistance so far.

There is no parking function on this model, but you can hardwire it to constant battery power supply for recording while car is parked ( battery discharge prevention device is recommended in this case in order to avoid your car battery going flat )

Last edited:
I got a transcend but the picture was terrible so it's been exchanged but I'm still not happy it still looks blurry and I feel my G1W that this was replacing is clearer.
This is a screenshot I'm going about 20 mph or so. I feel it should be better maybe I'm expecting to much.

Screenshot 1.png

I'm idealy after one where it would be possible to identify an oncoming car if anything happened i.e we clipped or for the gritters who spray salt about 6ft in the air so I could if need be claim for a damaged screen.

Well transcend is returned well getting returned for a refund.
So I'm back to looking for a camera I have looked at the blacksys cf-100 but it's got mixed reviews on Amazon. Feeling confused again about what to get.

Cheers for the reply. I'll check it out in more detail and once my refund is through I can order one to see what it's like for myself.

You can pick up a cheap dod or nextbase 402g on ebay. The battery is a joke so you need to hard wire it and hide cables in the trim, hard wire it into fuse or directly to car port.

These are only really good during the day and you need a polarised lens depending on where you mount and point. overall its not that bad for quality and to be used to claim.

Back