Some questions about the G1W and Varients

K-milk

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi!

I've been thinking about getting a dashcam for a while now, and a recent post on Reddit recommended the G1W and let me to this great site and community!

Anyway, the camera seems to be perfect for my needs, but I need clarification on a few things because I see conflicting info online.

First, how long can the G1W run on battery power alone? I can think of a few situations where I would like to use it without a nearby power source, but I can't find much about how long it can record without being plugged in. Someone mentioned only 2ish minutes, someone else said 2 hours? Also, the info page here mentions a version with a higher capacity battery, 320mAh instead of 200mAh. How much longer would that one last?

Second, SD Card Capacity. How many hours video can I expect to store on a 32GB card? I'me getting a general answer that it is around 4 hours? However, that seems a bit low to me. I have a camcorder that can record 5 hours 1080p on a 16GB card. But I guess that depends on the compression and whatnot. I read that someone mentioned they were able to record up to a week? But I figure if they only drive half an hour a day, that would make sense to add up to around 4 hours.

Lastly, where do you all recommend purchasing the camera from? I know there are a lot of fakes with lower quality chips floating around, so which sellers do you recommend? I see the few listed at http://dashcamtalk.com/g1w/ but are there any sellers that are US based. I don't mind ordering from China, but I don't like waiting for packages ;)

Thank you all!

First, how long can the G1W run on battery power alone? I can think of a few situations where I would like to use it without a nearby power source, but I can't find much about how long it can record without being plugged in.
I have a regular G1W with the smaller battery. There are around 4 distinct versions, but the internal mainboard can very as well.
There is.....

The older regular G1W (The one I have)
The newer G1W with a bigger battery
The G1W-H witch uses a battery comes in an all black case and has a wider field of vision.
The G1W-C witch uses a compactor and not a battery.

The G1W I have lasted maybe 10 mins when I first bought it, and maybe lasts around 5 now. The G1W needs to be plugged or wired in to be of much use. The G1W-C uses a compactor and not a battery and only has around enough charge to keep settings, date, and time correct and finish saving a current file.

Second, SD Card Capacity. How many hours video can I expect to store on a 32GB card?
It depends on the bit rate. my G1W has a bit rate of 12. Using the Recording Time Calculator here you will get about 6 hours out of a 32GB card before the looping feature starts to overwrite older videos. Also be aweare that some G1W cameras do not like SanDisk brand cards and that SpyTec seems to sell a version with a 15MB bit rate and with a flash able mainboard. (15MB version with yeild about 5 hours of recording time)

Lastly, where do you all recommend purchasing the camera from?
I bought mine from eStore009 who I believe goes by BAIKLOV on Amazon, but they ship from China. If you are looking for a good seller based in the USA look at SpyTec. They seem to sell the 15MB bit rate flashable firmware version and are based out of NYC.

Wow, that was quick!

Thanks CheckYourLights!! Truly appreciate it!

So the battery is almost worthless. Probably there just in case power goes out after an accident it seems. Bit of a shame, but I can live with that.

As for the 5 hour recording time, that should be enough. Realistically, if something were to happen, that footage would be transferred that same day anyway. And if I'm ever driving anywhere longer than 5 hours, chances are I'll be bringing a laptop with me!

I just purchased the camera through eStore009 too. I checked out SpyTech, but they didn't seem to carry the rear-view mirror mount, so I'd have to wait for that to come in anyway. It was cheaper buying it together as well.

Thanks again!

Thanks CheckYourLights!! Truly appreciate it!
Your welcome. Always good to help another driver.

So the battery is almost worthless. Probably there just in case power goes out after an accident it seems. Bit of a shame, but I can live with that.
That's about the extent of it. I have read around that the Mobius can record for around an hour on its battery, but I don't have one myself. Maybe a Mobius user such as GJHS can chime in here.

As for the 5 hour recording time, that should be enough.
A few users here have been able to get a 64GB card to work by formatting it in their PC with a program first. It's a little YMMV,but it has been done.

I just purchased the camera through eStore009 too. I checked out SpyTech, but they didn't seem to carry the rear-view mirror mount, so I'd have to wait for that to come in anyway. It was cheaper buying it together as well.

I bought my G1W way before talk of the Rearview Mirror Mount and then got my mount from here I own more of them then I would care to admit to and I wish the T slot used would become a more agreed upon mount across DashCam brands. Unless you are doing something like Mobius or what jokiin is doing where the mount plays into the camera position as a whole. (Mobius for stealth and GuardTrak t0 get the camera as close to the Windscreen as possible)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back