Something basic - unzipping .bin file - has me stymied.

Doug B

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I recently received a G1WH, purchased from Spytec though Amazon, and I've been having issues. It's been suggested that I update the firmware in an effort to solve the problems, and I've downloaded the necessary .bin file from the Spy-tec website. I run into a problem when I attempt to unzip the file.

I'm reasonably computer literate, so I hope I'm simply not seeing something that is blatantly obvious to everyone else. When I use 7-Zip or IZArc to extract the files, all I get is an empty folder. I've tried with an assortment of other bin files on the odd chance that the downloaded file is corrupt, and have had the same result.

Can someone give me a super-quick tutorial on unzipping firmware files.

Thanks...

You should be able to open the zip file directly with modern versions of Windows even without those utilities.

Does the size of the zip file seem right? What happens if you right-click the file and select 7-zip > Test archive ?

Testing with 7-Zip shows 1 file, 0MB. That says to me that my download isn't what it should be. Am I right?

Checking the properties of the bin file show it as 251 MB. What the heck?

It can show 0MB if the size is a few hundred KB, but if the file size is 251MB that makes no sense. Is it definitely MB?

Does Test-archive say how many files and directories there are? Does it say the structure is OK ("There are no errors")?

Do you have anti-virus software that could be blocking the download or reading of the zip file?

Wait ... is the file you downloaded a .zip or .bin?
.bin files don't need to be unzipped.

Yes, it's a bin file. I wondered if it needed to be unzipped, and tried it earlier. However when I copy it to the SD card and insert the card in the camera, nothing happens.

Can't help you there, I don't have that camera. Might be best to open another thread with different title.

the bin file goes in the root directory of the card, assuming you've got that right the only reason it wouldn't run is if the file name is incorrect, need to check back with Spytec to make sure you have the right file to match your camera

Thanks. The instructions from Spy-Tec were pretty specific and did indicate that the file was for my camera. They mentioned renaming the file, as well, but it wasn't necessary, as it matched up.

I'll give them a call on Monday...

Thanks. The instructions from Spy-Tec were pretty specific and did indicate that the file was for my camera. They mentioned renaming the file, as well, but it wasn't necessary, as it matched up.

I'll give them a call on Monday...
You don't have to unzip the BIN file. All you have to do is put the BIN file in the empty SD card and your camera will update. That's it. You only have to get the BIN file out of the ZIP file. No further extracting or unzipping needed.

Thanks... Yes, I finally did figure that out. The instructions from Spy-tec said to unzip it, but as I now know, that was an unnecessary step. I'd never played with .bin files before.

As it stands now, the camera won't recognize the file, so I'm going to have to get in touch with Spy-tec and get the right file name.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W G1WX 6
Back