Sony Action Cam HDR-AS10 Full HD 1080P Action Camcorder as a DASHCAM?

Hi there,

The camera seems fine regarding optics and recording specs, but I'm no expert at that. It has a very good bitrate and uses the Sony Exmor sensor which is always good for video quality.

The only thing is that it is missing three particular characteristics that, in my opinion, are what make a dascham a dascham:

1) Auto recording start when it receives power (when you start your car) or when motion is detected, and auto-save and stop recording when power is cut off.
2) Loop recording, so that older files are automatically over-written by newer files (so you never have to worry about managing the space available in your memory card)
3) G-Sensor to automatically measure and detect "strong" events such as crashes or emergency braking.

Probably a dashcam can live without the third, but one and two are definitely a must-have in my book...

If you're planning on getting a camera with you can use for other things besides using it as a dashcam then this option might make sense. If you only plan to use it as a dascham then I'd suggest you go take a look at the options available for your budget (~$115 USD) in the Dash Cam Comparison page (eg. Mobius, G1W, GT300W).

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. I was considering to use as a double duty since it comes with water proof housing and having 170 wide angle. I'll skip the deal anyway.
I was thought I could power with micro usb cable and didn't even think of loop recording. I appreciated your help.

Yes, I use the AS-15 as double duty. However due to the reasons mentioned before, best to get dedicated devices. Same deal with dedicated automotive GPS unit etc etc. :)

Back