sound clipping again with latest firmware

alspics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Updated to firmware E1_VT-EBJ131 . Volume of sound in recordings very very low.
updated to E1_VT-EBK231 (New).Volume is now back to being very clipped and distorted in recordings.
This is really annoying as I don't want to mute the microphone as I like to hear mine and my wifes chats on our weekly shopping trips.(Personal reasons.)
As mentioned by other people that have tested and reviewed this camera it seems to be a hardware fault with the mike and would really like to know if Vantrue will rectify the problem for people who have already purchased this item?.

updated to E1_VT-EBK231 (New).Volume is now back to being very clipped and distorted in recordings.
Can you post the original video? , you can with music, for understanding.

Using the E2 i have not noticed something like that, i think i will have a closer look on the full 256GB card i pulled a few days ago,,,,,, though this time of the year it is rare i play any music in my car.
But then again it is a cheap car so there are always road noise to listen to.

Bit of a technophobe and not keen on trying to put video online:).
Have checked videos again and again and now looks like the microphone doesn't like it when I have my heater fan on full blast clearing inside of window.
It also looks like it is the mount to camera connection making the noise occasionally. I don't get that satisfying click when connecting them together everyone talks about.
I always make sure the camera is seated properly, maybe just a duff mount as there isn't any real magnetic click when connecting.
I also notice there is a bit of play in the mount as well which shows up on the video.
One really good thing I do like is the camera doesn't seem to be fussy what type of card you put in it, it just works.(y)
Will recheck everything when I next go to the car (Quite a walk to the garage)

I've been working with Vantrue to try and get the E1's audio recording level adjusted to a level that would not have the recorded audio being clipped. There were a few test firmware versions that I tested with it lowered, but audio recording level was far too low. Starting with test firmware EBJ211 (including the current version EBK231) the firmware has the audio being recorded at the high level again because Vantrue engineers could not lower the recorded audio and have the voice commands work consistently.

There's also a couple of other problems I found with EBK231. The first problem is the Window Movie player for Windows 10 with the Microsoft HEVC codec installed cannot play (stalled / frozen video) the video at the very end (3 to 8 seconds) of each E1 video file with HDR enabled. The video files with HDR disabled can play to the very end. HDR Video recorded with firmware EBJ211 can be played successfully to the very end of each video file. HDR video recorded with firmware EBK231 will play successfully with the Vantrue Player, VLC, and MPC-BE x64. The Windows Movie player is the only one impacted by the HEVC issue on Windows 10.

The second issue appears to be related to audio. The HDR video’s audio track now has a sizeable gap (14 audio frames) of audio at the very end of each video file. There’s also a strange shifting in the audio frames between the HDR video’s audio track and the non-HDR video’s audio track. When the two video files are synchronized based on the video action (for instance the changing of a stop light from red-to-green), the audio in the HDR video’s audio track starts off about 2 audio frames ahead of the non-HDR video’s audio track. About 30 seconds into the file, the HDR audio is about 8 audio frames ahead of the non-HDR audio. Near the end of the HDR audio track, it’s about 32 frames (over a second) ahead of the non-HDR audio track. The EBK231 HDR audio track has a 14 frame gap at the end of each video file. The EBK231 non-HDR audio track has an approximately 2.5 frame audio gap at the end of each video file.

I reported these issues with EBK231 to Vantrue back on 06-Dec-2022. I have not received any update on the issues being resolved.

Last edited:
Not sure what you guys mean by clipping, but i have just listened to some of my E2 footage, and the audio auto gain do work hard / wildly, so one moment the music playing will be quite loud, only to a little further down the road be a lot less loud.
Personally this do not bother me much as i almost never use audio, often i have to delete / mute the audio in post as otherwise youtube throw a copyright tantrum.

Bit of a technophobe and not keen on trying to put video online:).
If you can be bothered with setting up a account, on youtube you can upload your video with a range of formats, beside public so all can see it.
I have a lot of footage myself that are not public, but which i can share with a link, so if i share that link in here the video will be open to all in here or people that find their way in here, if i just shared the link in a PM or a mail to a person, well then only that person would be able to see it.

Not sure what you guys mean by clipping
The audio being recorded at or around 0 dBA can become distorted and the audio peaks are missed (clipped).

Here's an example of the E1 mono audio track having the audio peaks clipped. The A229 Duo audio is more like a typical audio recording that is loud enough, but not too loud. The A229 Duo’s audio level is in the -15db to -21db level. The E1’s audio levels are in the -6db to -3db with the peaks being clipped.

1672337296572.png

There was a test firmware release (EBH261) that lowered the audio recording level, but it was so low that the audio wasn't really usable.

1672337764362.png

The most recent firmware release has restored the audio recording level to the higher level. Version EBK231 has some issues including audio problems that I discuss in this post.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/vantrue-e1-e1-lite-unboxing-initial-testing.47359/post-585146

Is there any information on fixing the firmware for sound?

Is there any information on fixing the firmware for sound?
I'll be importing some E1 and E1 Lite footage into Adobe Premiere Pro this week. I'll take a look at the current state of the audio tracks in the video files.

Updated to firmware E1_VT-EBJ131 . Volume of sound in recordings very very low.
This is really annoying as I don't want to mute the microphone as I like to hear mine and my wifes chats on our weekly shopping trips.(Personal reasons.)
As mentioned by other people that have tested and reviewed this camera it seems to be a hardware fault with the mike and would really like to know if Vantrue will rectify the problem for people who have already purchased this item?.
Can you send us the original video so that our technician team can understand the problem better?
Have you ever checked if all video sounds distorted?

Back