Specific question about hardwiring dashcam

joje22

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Hey everyone

I'm hardwiring up my 70mai A800s dashcam for the first time, and I've got a question.

Here's the thing: I read somewhere that the original fuse to be able to handle the new load from the dashcam in addition to its own pulling.

Like, let's say there's a fuse in there that's rated for 15A and I plan to use a fuse tap to hook up a 5A fuse for my dashcam. I'm wondering, what if the original 15A fuse is already close to its limit and I add in a dashcam that pulls maybe 2-3A more? That could push things over the top, right? I assume that I might have misread something and that this is what the new 5A fuse is for, but I'm a bit confused.

Got any advice on this?

Like, let's say there's a fuse in there that's rated for 15A and I plan to use a fuse tap to hook up a 5A fuse for my dashcam. I'm wondering, what if the original 15A fuse is already close to its limit and I add in a dashcam that pulls maybe 2-3A more? That could push things over the top, right?

As much I have read and understood, dashcam's are not power hungry setup's.

Using a regular and non-critical fuse circuit like 12V socket or cabin light will be best as the power draw from a dashcam will hardly be anything to worry of. Hence most manufacturers recommend adding a 5A fuse circuit to a existing say 10A.

The fuse tap is to protect the connection between the camera and fuse box, to protect the wiring mainly.

and I add in a dashcam that pulls maybe 2-3A more?
3A * 12V = 36 Watts.

There are no dashcams that consume 36 Watts.
A few of the 4K multi-channel dashcams will get close to 10W for short periods, but your 15A fuses will be overrated by more than enough for any current dashcam. I would avoid tapping into any fuse less than 10A, and preferably chose 15A or more.

Hey everyone

I'm hardwiring up my 70mai A800s dashcam for the first time, and I've got a question.

Here's the thing: I read somewhere that the original fuse to be able to handle the new load from the dashcam in addition to its own pulling.

Like, let's say there's a fuse in there that's rated for 15A and I plan to use a fuse tap to hook up a 5A fuse for my dashcam. I'm wondering, what if the original 15A fuse is already close to its limit and I add in a dashcam that pulls maybe 2-3A more? That could push things over the top, right? I assume that I might have misread something and that this is what the new 5A fuse is for, but I'm a bit confused.

Got any advice on this?
If the tap is oriented correctly, the cam will be powered by the 5A fuse only.

1690821899347.jpg

If the tap is oriented correctly, the cam will be powered by the 5A fuse only.
That would be incorrectly orientated, from a safety point of view!

That would be incorrectly orientated, from a safety point of view!
Don't be confusing folk. There has been much debate over "which-way" and only if you are concerned about the power draw on the busbar does it become an issue.
EDIT: misspelled busbar

Last edited:
only if you are concerned about the power draw on the actual buss does it become an issue.
If the fuse box has a bus then there is no need to be concerned. Issue is that not all do.

Back