SQ8 Mini DV Camera 1080P Full HD Car DVR

Hi guys!
I've been reading DCT for a while, but now I need your help.

I've bought this SQ8 camera "for fun" rather than for use in a car (although I had an idea to mount it facing backwards in my car as a backup).
To the point:
- got it, plugged it to the charger, red+blue light was on
- charged it for about 2-2,5h and lost my patience ;)
- unplugged it and... it's not working

When I press ON button, the red light comes on, but when I pull my finger from it, it goes off.
Tried resetting it by pushing this Reset pin, but it didn't help.

WTF?
Sometimes (I mean veryrarely) it flashes red+blue for a fraction of secon and then again "push->red, let go->red goes off".
ONCE the light turned... blue. And stayed this way no matter what I was pushing (mode, on/off). Had tu push Reset pin to turn it off.

Is it really piece of s**t or it can be somehow fixed?

I had EXACTLY the same problem, so I contacted Gearbest customer service. After suggesting the obvious (different long button presses and reset) they offered my a $10 refund, but I persisted and they eventually sent me a new one (for free), which arrived today, and seems to work perfectly (or at least, as perfect as you can expect for $18!)

my SQ8 arrived today, works as advertised.
for anyone having trouble using it as a dashcam, it only auto records when connected to a power supply and not a data connection. if it goes into data transfer mode it does not start recording.
also noticed 1080p mode does halve the frame rate so staying in 720p

Hi, I have noticed there are two variants of this dashcam http://www.everbuying.net/compare-1141494_1156666
Difference is of chipset, cheaper one has AnGuo and the other has Otus, no other difference mentioned.
Any idea how these two chipsets compares and which one is better?
Has anyone tried 64Gb card with SQ8 Mini DV Camera?
One of the feature mentioned is "Support TV out, TV monitor video connection", has anyone tried that?

Mine is apparently the Otus version.
Any idea how these two chipsets compares and which one is better?
Have you tried 64Gb card with SQ8 Mini DV Camera?
One of the feature mentioned is "Support TV out, TV monitor video connection", tried that?

my SQ8 arrived today, works as advertised.
for anyone having trouble using it as a dashcam, it only auto records when connected to a power supply and not a data connection. if it goes into data transfer mode it does not start recording.
also noticed 1080p mode does halve the frame rate so staying in 720p

Ya, just like Superbob mentioned. When you see the combination of red+blue light, it's in the data transfer mode. Most of the car built in usb-port is meant for data transfer, if you want to use it as dashcam, better connect it with the cigarette socket usb charger.

The correct light sequence after connected to the power source shoud be red+blue light for 1-2secs -> blue light 1-2secs -> light off

Last edited:
Hello everybody, i would like to use this camera in motion detection mode in the car (while the car is in the park area). Is it possibile to start the motion detection mode automatically when it gets the power from the power bank? Maybe in some settings file in the SDCARD? I haven't the camera yes (i hope it will arrive soon) so i can't checking by myself.
Thanks

For what I understood the camera works in motion detection mode only if it runs from the battery.if you try to run motion detection while the USB has attached it records always. Unbelievable. Any workaround? I was thinking about removing the battery and make a little circuit that transform the 5v of my power bank to a 3.3v to put directly to the camera. What do you think?

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Interested in buying one.
However, I cannot find any description of its recording angle.
Can some one enlighten me?

Interested in buying one.
However, I cannot find any description of its recording angle.
Can some one enlighten me?
Do. Not. Buy. It.

It's not Car DVR and was never designed to be.
Build quality is less tran crap. Amount of DOA cameras is HUGE. And even if you're lucky and it works - it will stop, quite quickly.

Buy something else (but not SK9, it's the same crap in another packaging).

OK. I need a small lightweight IR-capable cam that I can take along my jogging or scootering activities.
I don't really need 1080P, 720P is plenty good. Reasonably wide angle preferred (I think 120 degree is enough).
Most of my trips are under 1hr (max. 90mins).
What do you recommend?

OK. I need a small lightweight IR-capable cam that I can take along my jogging or scootering activities.

Be very careful choosing a camera that claims to have IR. Most, if not all dashcams that claim to have IR just have white LED's on the front. They are not IR.
The're are some quite good CCTV cameras that have true IR capability for less than £30.00 but they don't have in-camera recording. As far as I know you would need to spend £70.00 or more to get an IR capable camera with in-camera recording.

I buy from AliExpress. Usually AE is quite good at customer support - though I heard that if a customer abuses their claim process, they are likely to have their AE account terminated....
So far I have no complaints. If and AE seller claims IR lighting and ends with white LEDs, I will lodge a claim.
However, one problem I have is a lot of AE sellers have confusing ads (they can simultaneously claim 1080P & 640x480!
Hence, one have to be very careful in scrutinizing the ads to be sure you are promised the right thing before ordering...

Moving upmarket, how about these two?
$42.08 $83.11
The problem is both ads have slightly incomplete specs.
Cannot figure how long the batteries lasts...

Both those links just route to the AliExpress All Products page.

Both those links just route to the AliExpress All Products page.
Same thing here. Had to cut/paste the URL.
I am sorry.
I also dunno why the links disappeared from my posts.
Here they are again.
I checked them out by pasting those URLs directly into another browser that is not logged into my AE account just to be sure.

The AE Store
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/2001042?spm=2114.10010108.0.0.7FEB8B
$42.08 version
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...orn-Camera-DV-Remote-Control/32700950757.html
$83.11 version
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...Pocket-Camera-Loop-Recording/32699767659.html

Hope it works this time.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/2001042?spm=2114.10010108.0.0.7FEB8B
Looks like a good camera but doesn't appear to offer any IR capability.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...orn-Camera-DV-Remote-Control/32700950757.html
Specification claims Min. Illumination:1 Lux which isn't very good, especially for a camera that claims to have IR.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...Pocket-Camera-Loop-Recording/32699767659.html

Claims to have night vision support but with only 6 LED's I doubt it would cover more than 2 yards, if it is IR.

This CCTV camera has an array of 24 IR LED's and will cover a range of approximately 6 yards.

upload_2016-10-19_18-57-27.png

Back