Standard lens or wide angle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For capturing number plates in the road infront of you?

I was thinking standard, it might have less view but the view it shows isn't being squeiffed. Which must make the number plate harder to read? I'm guessing:D

U got it right: wider FOV lens makes image further, but you capture wider side action. Narrow lens FOV brings front image closer, so front moving car numberplate reading is more clear, but you losing side view action.
So here is dilemma - what is priority for you.

The Standard (A) & Wide Angle (B) Mobius cams both use 7 element glass lens, made in Japan.

Horizontal Field of View (HFOV) = 85° (standard) & 116° (wide angle), in 'Wide' Mode.

With my Mobius B, I recently switched from 116° 'Wide' Mode to 102° 'Narrow' Mode, which you might find a good compromise, e.g...

Cloudy Setting Front Sunny.jpg

Note that the B lens outperforms the A lens in low-light, which may influence your choice...

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ght-than-a-lens-v0-57-no-problem-for-me.3201/

Last edited by a moderator:
This is always a trade-off decision. The standard field of view is going to capture the plates and detail better than the wide angle lens. On the other hand, the wide angle lens captures things around the edges that the standard lens misses.

Based on all accidents (mine and others) I've been aware of in my years of driving, my personal feeling is that capturing the plate number is not as likely as seeing everything that happened. However, I respect the views of those who feel the other way as to picking the standard lens.

With my Mobius B, I recently switched from 116° 'Wide' Mode to 102° 'Narrow' Mode, which you might find a good compromise, e.g...
Being a total newbie - is this simply one of the options? - Sounds intriguing. I understand (from Techmoan.com) the B has less barrel distortion but for my needs 116º is too much.
btw what is the "A" angle in narrow mode? - if it exists!

...what is the "A" angle in narrow mode? - if it exists!

Mobius A (Standard lens)

Wide AOV Mode
1080p/30fps. 85° HFOV

720p/30fps. 85° HFOV

Narrow AOV Mode
1080p/30fps. 75 deg° HFOV

720p/30fps. 75° HFOV

720p/60fps. 46° HFOV

Mobius A (Standard lens)

Wide AOV Mode
1080p/30fps. 85° HFOV

720p/30fps. 85° HFOV

Narrow AOV Mode
1080p/30fps. 75 deg° HFOV

720p/30fps. 75° HFOV

720p/60fps. 46° HFOV
THANK YOU. So the "B" in narrow mode and 720/60 will also be substantially less. I'll guess 55-60º

So I don't need to pester folk - is this data published anywhere?

Decisions, decisions.

Thank'ee kind zur!

"B" lens it is then.

Keep in mind that the B lens Mobius is physically larger in size than the A lens. If you have a tight place between rearview mirror and windshield, then the A is better.

Keep in mind that the B lens Mobius is physically larger in size than the A lens. If you have a tight place between rearview mirror and windshield, then the A is better.

This is certainly true.....but. I ran into this issue when I installed a B lens in my already rear mounted Mobius but it did fit the installation and I could still unscrew the camera from the mount! It turned out that because the front lens element was now closer to the rear windshield (vertical glass in a pick-up truck) I had less of problem with reflections and glare. So the lesson was that a tight fit can be a double edged sword and may offer a benefit.

Edit: I'm very pleased with the coverage from the B lens.

Last edited:
Thanks for those pointers - but fret not - I need the camera (initially) for a really weird job - not a dashcam.
I need to video the rear wheel of a motorcycle with the camera under the engine, facing back.
And the front wheel from the same position facing forward. 60º is what I was after. 63º will do fine. And the 60fps will be a nice plus.

After - well we'll see. The lens will probably need replacing as it is, after it gets shot blasted from the front tyre, though I will try and build a lens shield.

I'd probably remote mount the lens anyway if it ends up as a dash-cam.

Last edited:
Thanks for those pointers - but fret not - I need the camera (initially) for a really weird job - not a dashcam.
I need to video the rear wheel of a motorcycle with the camera under the engine, facing back.
And the front wheel from the same position facing forward. 60º is what I was after. 63º will do fine. And the 60fps will be a nice plus.

After - well we'll see. The lens will probably need replacing as it is, after it gets shot blasted from the front tyre, though I will try and build a lens shield.

I'd probably remote mount the lens anyway if it ends up as a dash-cam.

Another option is a DIY solution using a clear glass or acrylic lens of the appropriate diameter from - flashlightlens.com.
The advantage to this method is that the lenses would be protective but are easily and inexpensively replaced. The JooVoo waterproof case would likely work well but could easily be ruined in short order from what you describe.

Then I would recommend for either lens that you put it in the JooVuu waterproof case
As they're on offer this week - maybe a solution.

Back