Start Selling A139

Now on aliexpress:

Looks like they are planning to add some options but they are not active yet. Think I will probably wait until the hardwire kit is available etc..
I'm sure the HWK will be along very soon as most people will want it, and it's already designed- I have one for testing and it works great (y) The only thing you lose without it is automatic parking mode and you may have to plug/unplug for power if your cigarette lighter socket isn't switched.

As to when other options become available I won't offer an opinion; could be soon to never. Viofo has spoken about some of these so I think they'll come along in time once production ramps up. AFAIK there is only one issue with the A139 relating to use of motion detect parking mode; Viofo is aware of this and is working on it. Using low-bitrate for parking there are no problems, and most people today prefer it anyway so I don't see it as a big issue.

This seems to be a very good cam with only long-term high heat not being tested yet as it's a new cam and there hasn't been time for that, but indications so far make me think that will not be a problem. I'd buy it now if you want one, then pick up the HWK when it becomes available ;)

Phil

Where is it available for sale? I can buy from US or USA.

It's been reported as being for sale on Aliexpress but I haven't even looked there myself so don't quote me on that.

Cams getting market release can happen strangely. I've seen where cams could be had first from Central Europe, Asia (particularly China), the UK, and Australia. Sometimes it was a week or more before they could be sourced elsewhere and sometimes just a day or two. Just watch this thread and see what's being said.

And remember to use only known good sellers ;)

Phil

It's been reported as being for sale on Aliexpress
I expect they will start selling it in 2021, this is just after 4 days from now.

Start selling in 2021 will make it a 2021 dashcam not a 2020 dashcam. Just look on how many products are described on Aliexpress as something like „NEW 2020...”.
So why to add „NEW 2020...” and start selling right after Christmas instead of adding „NEW 2021..” and sell it on 1 January 2021???

enjoy,
Mtz

I would not care what year the camera is, just that it is working good.
But ! seing how other people shop / change things it might be a good idea.

If the best dashcam was made in 2018, that is what i would be buying, but that is not how it work for billions of people on earth.

I would not care what year the camera is, just that it is working good.
Marketing/sales are not working like that. Maybe 0.1% from the buyers will buy a 2018 camera in 2021 just because it is better.
Even I consider the Itronics ITB-100HD to be the best camera I tested, I would not buy in 2021 just because was made 5 years ago.

enjoy,
Mtz

I'm sure the HWK will be along very soon as most people will want it, and it's already designed- I have one for testing and it works great (y) The only thing you lose without it is automatic parking mode and you may have to plug/unplug for power if your cigarette lighter socket isn't switched.

As to when other options become available I won't offer an opinion; could be soon to never. Viofo has spoken about some of these so I think they'll come along in time once production ramps up. AFAIK there is only one issue with the A139 relating to use of motion detect parking mode; Viofo is aware of this and is working on it. Using low-bitrate for parking there are no problems, and most people today prefer it anyway so I don't see it as a big issue.

This seems to be a very good cam with only long-term high heat not being tested yet as it's a new cam and there hasn't been time for that, but indications so far make me think that will not be a problem. I'd buy it now if you want one, then pick up the

Apparently 229.99 was only for 1st day release sale.

This seems to be a very good cam with only long-term high heat not being tested yet as it's a new cam and there hasn't been time for that, but indications so far make me think that will not be a problem. I'd buy it now if you want one, then pick up the HWK when it becomes available ;)

Phil

I agree, not sure if I should wait for it to be available from amazon though. Ordering on aliexpress will take over a month, but the rules are changing for UK imports so Amazon may inflate the price.

If I order from viofo/aliexpress I believe I could get charged 20% vat plus any handling charges royal mail decide to charge. So the question is what price do I think it will be when it appears on Amazon UK :unsure:

Last edited:
I guess year does have some marketing value, but with so few good 3-channel cams out there it may not matter as much with this one. I've not seem any other 3-channel cams even come close to this one.

For now it stands alone as the best of it's type and that will give it the lead on the market once it becomes better known.

Phil

I agree, not sure if I should wait for it to be available from amazon though. Ordering on aliexpress will take over a month, but the rules are changing for UK imports so Amazon may inflate the price.

If I order from viofo/aliexpress I believe I could get charged 20% vat plus any handling charges royal mail decide to charge. So the question is what price do I think it will be when it appears on Amazon UK :unsure:
I think the Viofo website always includes the VAT, they do it properly, and it arrives fairly fast.
Not sure about aliexpress with VAT/import tax, and yes it will take a while from there. I would only use them for small tax exempt items.

I suggest waiting for Amazon, not sure why the price should go up? It always seems to match the Viofo price, and I assume the only Brexit change would be in connection with where the VAT goes, although I haven't worked out if anything is changing yet?

I assume the only Brexit change would be in connection with where the VAT goes,
Seems there is a change, we no longer have the £15 limit below which there is no tax of any sort on imports. Instead we have a £135 limit below which we are not responsible for the VAT or import tax, it is the seller that is responsible, so we should no longer get any unexpected import charges for things below that amount. Above that amount you need to check that the seller is paying, or not as the case may be; if it is not paid by the seller then we are responsible for VAT and import tax on items above £135. (Note that I am not an expert on this, that is just my current understanding of the situation.)

Normally VAT is paid when importing, no matter the limit value.
The £15 or £135 limit is only abut customs taxes. Latest year the EU taxes lowered a lot and is possible for dashcameras to not by any customs tax or even it is some, it is very small. So the biggest increase is the VAT not the customs tax.
Many Aliexpress sellers were using some UK route to sell inside EU without paying any tax or VAT. Before was some Holland route used by Gearbest and Banggood. I don't know how it will be after Brexit but if there will be no taxes between UK and EU there should be the same. I don't know about VAT between UK and EU.

enjoy,
Mtz

Normally VAT is paid when importing, no matter the limit value.
The £15 or £135 limit is only abut customs taxes. Latest year the EU taxes lowered a lot and is possible for dashcameras to not by any customs tax or even it is some, it is very small. So the biggest increase is the VAT not the customs tax.
Many Aliexpress sellers were using some UK route to sell inside EU without paying any tax or VAT. Before was some Holland route used by Gearbest and Banggood. I don't know how it will be after Brexit but if there will be no taxes between UK and EU there should be the same. I don't know about VAT between UK and EU.

enjoy,
Mtz
UK VAT on imports is currently zero below £15, maybe that is the "some UK route to sell inside EU without paying any tax or VAT", it is the reason we currently buy a lot of cheap stuff from Jersey. From 2021 that rule will disappear and there will be VAT on everything.

The £135 is the import tax limit, under that there is zero import tax now and in 2021.

The new rules make it simpler, the customer is not responsible for tax or VAT below the £135 limit, only the seller. (If I have understood it correctly.)

Seems there is a change, we no longer have the £15 limit below which there is no tax of any sort on imports. Instead we have a £135 limit below which we are not responsible for the VAT or import tax, it is the seller that is responsible, so we should no longer get any unexpected import charges for things below that amount. Above that amount you need to check that the seller is paying, or not as the case may be; if it is not paid by the seller then we are responsible for VAT and import tax on items above £135. (Note that I am not an expert on this, that is just my current understanding of the situation.)

I am utterly confused when I read the rules. Apparently overseas sellers need to register with HMRC but what happens if they don't? Will customs just destroy the parcel? Also I don't understand how they will be able to tell which stuff was sold before 1st Jan 2021.

Also I don't understand how they will be able to tell which stuff was sold before 1st Jan 2021.
It is for the seller to declare if it was sold before midnight on new year's eve or not, there is a fair amount of trust in the tax system.

I think the decent sellers are already registered with HMRC, I assume including Viofo since their price has been including the VAT correctly.

Will customs just destroy the parcel?
Good question, but I think the only change is that they will be going after the seller for the tax, while at the moment it is the purchaser that is ultimately responsible. I assume that if taxes do not get paid then eventually that seller will be blocked from importing.

They link to this site which I was not aware of:
No stock yet

Yes, I've never seen that site before, they have some discounts on the other cameras, they probably haven't received their stock from china yet with all the current delays.

You can order it on viofo.com/en/ if you desperately want it now, maybe best to send a message to viofo.com to check delivery times though.

Back