State I/M Inspection (Smog Check)

Panzer Platform

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2024 Minimum Requirements: STARVIS 2 & HDR
I took my car for its biennial State Emission Inspection for registration renewal.
So, of course I filmed it with dash cams. Lol
@BlackboxMyCar @viofo
Cameras used;
Viofo A229 Pro
Viofo A139 Pro
Viofo A119 Mini
Viofo WM1
The dash cam under the hood in the engine bay is my favorite POV at 7:54

Last edited:
I find it rude and inappropriate to film auto mechanics without their permission. In some states it is illegal to do so.

I trust the guys who work on or inspect my vehicle and so I disconnect or turn off my cameras when I bring it into the shop and I make sure they are aware that none of my five cameras are filming them. This always leads to a friendly and positive relationship with the people who work on my truck rather than an adversarial or spiteful one.

...and so I disconnect or turn off my cameras when I bring it into the shop and I make sure they are aware that none of my five cameras are filming them...
At the 3 or 4 places I take my vehicles to I always let them know about the cameras and offer to unplug them, if for no other reason than I don't want someone unfamiliar with them trying and possibly doing some damage. Never once have they wanted me to saying they've got nothing to hide and their staff are aware that some cars have cameras and have no problems with them. I've seen clips of the mechanics pointing to the camera location while talking to each other.

At the 3 or 4 places I take my vehicles to I always let them know about the cameras and offer to unplug them, if for no other reason than I don't want someone unfamiliar with them trying and possibly doing some damage. Never once have they wanted me to saying they've got nothing to hide and their staff are aware that some cars have cameras and have no problems with them. I've seen clips of the mechanics pointing to the camera location while talking to each other.

All in all, my guys don't generally mind either but they let me know they do appreciate it and prefer not to be on camera (or audio). It makes for a good relationship and I trust them. The couple of times I've recorded mechanics years ago it was interesting at first but otherwise kind of boring after a while and I never watched the whole thing because it was a waste of my time.

One mechanic told me a story about the time he was working on a fleet vehicle when he got an angry phone call from some corporate executive who had been observing him live when he disconnected the car's battery and the camera went dead.
He was doing electrical work so he had to disconnect the battery and so he explained that to the hotheaded exec and said, "Do you want the car repaired or not? That shut him up. :D

I find it rude and inappropriate to film auto mechanics without their permission. In some states it is illegal to do so.
Depends on where you are; here it is perfectly OK to film, it is what you do with the video that matters, publishing it without permission is not acceptable.

But your comment seems a bit off-topic! Or are you assuming that PP filmed without permission?

Depends on where you are; here it is perfectly OK to film, it is what you do with the video that matters, publishing it without permission is not acceptable.

But your comment seems a bit off-topic! Or are you assuming that PP filmed without permission?

Here we have what is called a "reasonable expectation of privacy" depending on the circumstances. The UK on the other hand is literally a surveillance state at this point. More cameras than any nation outside of China. Rather prefer the way things are here, thank you.

As to whether PP filmed without permission, the surprised look on the mechanic's face who is performing the inspection certainly suggests so when he first realizes he's on camera.

I don't consider my comments off topic BTW. It's a legitimate discussion regarding how we use our cameras.

lol. I have heard of states that do this crap.. Glad mine got rid of this like long time ago. I do recall, when i was a child, my mother had to do this "inspection" and the beater of a car we had failed smog cause small rust hole in exhaust, and was then illegal to drive. It made her cry cause could not afford to fix it. She drove it anyway, had to, for work, and to go to stores etc. All so stupid for a tiny hole in the exhaust, everything else was fine.

I find these smog/pollution inspection stupid. Big trains and big rigs dumb far far more pollution into the air than any number of personal vehicles in poor state.

That being said, if State Required Inspection as an actual "Vehicle Maintenance Inspection" like you pay for at a proper Mechanic, like you should do for a Pre-purchase of any used vehicle, where an actual mechanic inspects and tests many aspects of the thing, for safety and mechanical soundness, then yes, this would be welcome to me. Though, watching YT channels like "Just Rolled In", goes to show you how many poorly maintained and just messed up jerry-rigged "repairs" are done on vehicles that you share the road with.

About the camera topic, i have had my dash cams installed in my vehicle, and the few places i have take into be maintained, Dodge Dealership, Tires Plus, and my trusted private owned shop, never had any of them comment about the cams or have issue with them. Actually, they almost always comment on the black Dash Matt I have installed, to cut down on reflections in the dash cam. lol.

The dash cam under the hood in the engine bay is my favorite POV at 7:54
How have you done this? Used a Motorcycle cam? (i'm blind, ... you mounted a VIOFO WM1 under the HOOOD??? ok.. that thing can withstand the heat then? lol)

Also, love the crazy beard! The guy at the testing center must have had a kick from that.

Last edited:
@Panzer Platform noted in the video's description section: "I consider Mr. Singh a good friend, and I thank him for giving permission to film the inspection."

I for one, see no issue or permission needed to film or monitor someone working on my owned property.

Infact, one of the "instant oil change" places here, advertise , stay in your car and watch us work. They have several cameras around and under the work bay, and a screen next to your window that shows every angle and the person working doing the oil change.

@Panzer Platform noted in the video's description section: "I consider Mr. Singh a good friend, and I thank him for giving permission to film the inspection."

Well, that makes a difference then. It might have been helpful if PP mentioned that here as well. Amusingly, he's always behind his fake beard, so he's certainly concerned about his own privacy on the internet. ;)

Last edited:
Well, that makes a difference then. I might have been helpful if PP mentioned that here as well. Amusingly, he's always behind his fake beard, so he's certainly concerned about his own privacy on the internet. ;)
I think i have come across a vid or something where seen his face... can't recall what it was...

I for one, see no issue or permission needed to film or monitor someone working on my owned property.

Infact, one of the "instant oil change" places here, advertise , stay in your car and watch us work. They have several cameras and a screen next to your window that shows every angle and the person working doing the oil change.

Watching someone on screen at a workplace is different than recording them and publishing the video on the internet without their permission.

Recording on your own property is a different matter.

Infact, one of the "instant oil change" places here, advertise , stay in your car and watch us work. They have several cameras around and under the work bay, and a screen next to your window that shows every angle and the person working doing the oil change.
That is a legal requirement here, every test centre has to either provide viewing access, or provide cameras for remote viewing, most have the cameras.

I think i have come across a vid or something where seen his face... can't recall what it was...

Well, he does post his full real name and exact GPS coordinates of his garage and his license plate number is presented in this video so there's that. It's kind of why the beard and dark glasses thing always puzzles me. :unsure:

I think most of us do prefer some level of privacy on the forum though and that's why I don't film auto mechanics and post videos of them here.

Watching someone on screen at a workplace is different than recording them and publishing the video on the internet without their permission.

Recording on your own property is a different matter.
By my owned property, i mean the vehicle i am brining into for them to work on. Legally a vehicle is private owned property (a item one owns, not property as in land). I give them permission to work on it and pay them to do so. Thus i wish to supervise anyone touching my property.

Well, he does post his full real name and exact GPS coordinates of his garage and his license plate number is presented in this video so there's that. It's kind of why the beard and dark glasses thing always puzzles me. :unsure:

I think most of us do prefer some level of privacy on the forum though and that's why I don't film auto mechanics and post videos of them here.
Make me think of ChrisFix on YouTube... always behind the cam, and when have to be infront of cam, always wears a helmet. Secretive on purpose, also like The Stig on Top Gear UK.

By my owned property, i mean the vehicle i am brining into for them to work on. Legally a vehicle is private property (a item one owns, not property as in land). I give them permission to work on it and pay them to do so. Thus i wish to supervise anyone touching my property.

Unfortunately, that's not how the law works. Your vehicle is on THEIR property. It would be kind of like planting a camera in someone's home AFAIK.

Unfortunately, that's not how the law works. Your vehicle is on THEIR property.
So? They also have cameras themselves for security and monitor of their employees.. Thus, no expectation of privacy there, thus, i am free to record.
Its, audio recording that is where laws are often much more strict, as most CCTV cam in business do not record audio.
In my state, audio recording must be of consent from both parties (used to), so, if i leave my dash cam mic on, then, technically, it is illegal surveillance.
I confirmed this with my local Sheriff. (back in 2015)
Laws vary from state to state of cource.

Also, "covert surveillance" is deferent thing. Dash cam is out in the open, so is not covert.

EDIT: It been a few years since i looked this up, well, 2015 actualy. Seems laws have changed .
"MINNESOTA is considered a One-Party Consent State, in that at least one person involved in the recorded communication must give permission."
So, i am the one party, thus, if i consent, no consent is need from other person.

The exception is an area “where a reasonable person would have the expectation of privacy.” This means places like a bedroom, bathroom, tanning booths, and changing rooms are off limit. Simply being in a car (or police vehicle) is not considered an area where there is an expectation of privacy."

Last edited:
Back