State I/M Inspection (Smog Check)

So? They also have cameras themselves for security and monitor of their employees.. Thus, no expectation of privacy there, thus, i am free to record.
Its, audio recording that is where laws are often much more strict, as most CCTV cam in business do not record audio.
In my state, audio recording must be of consent from both parties (used to), so, if i leave my dash cam mic on, then, technically, it is illegal surveillance.
I confirmed this with my local Sheriff. (back in 2015)
Laws vary from state to state of cource.

Also, "covert surveillance" is deferent thing. Dash cam is out in the open, so is not covert.

EDIT: It been a few years since i looked this up, well, 2015 actualy. Seems laws have changed .
"MINNESOTA is considered a One-Party Consent State, in that at least one person involved in the recorded communication must give permission."
So, i am the one party, thus, if i consent, no consent is need from other person.

Perhaps. A lawyer may have a different opinion but I agree that the audio is the more salient aspect. Indeed, laws differ from state to state. Here where I live reasonable expectation of privacy applies according to your location and how close you are to other people, such as in a parking lot, You can record someone on audio right outside your home without their knowledge such as with a door bell camera but not inside.

It could be argued that the dash cam is not so "out in the open" depending on the camera and this installation. I've often had people not realize my cameras are indeed cameras.

Last edited:
Perhaps. A lawyer may have a different opinion but I agree that the audio is the more salient aspect. Indeed, laws differ from state to state. Here where I live reasonable expectation of privacy applies according to your location and how close you are to other people, such as in a parking lot, You can record someone on audio right outside your home without their knowledge such as with a door bell camera but not inside.

It could be argued that the dash cam is not so "out in the open" depending on the camera and this installation. I've often had people not realize my cameras as indeed cameras.
The page i found and quoted from, is from a Law Firm only a few miles from me interestingly. But thanks to this conversation thread ;), i now know about this "One-Party Consent" is current law in my state.

Anyways, since my dashcams, front and rear, are powered by the cig plug, which has a 3 outlet adapter in it, the end of the cord that plugs into the socket as a bright red power button on it, so, easy to press that button to turn off everything, or can press the small button on each of the 3 ports on the adapter to turn off each port.

Also, the cig port is powered only when ignition is ON, so, when they turn off my car, the cams turn off as well.
So that could also be a factor as to why i have never gotten any complaints on them.
Only in a few cases of my car in a shop, have they left the ignition on for a while while working.
I did, once, hook up a small usb power back, to my front cam, to purposefully capture the entire event, it was pretty boring to watch and they had a radio/music blasting in their shop, so that crushed any audio.

Back