Still got problems with my dash cam :-( Anyone any ideas?

Jasonmichael

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

After having my 312GW now for nearly 2 years its started to play up big time. I asked for help a couple of days ago to update my firmware to the version 6.4 (VerB R4.4) thinking that it may cure my problems, however they are still there. I've replaced the SD card for a new high performance one as well, still no joy :rolleyes:

The scenario is that I plug my cam into the GPS base (the lead to the base is hardwired into the car & works perfectly, turning on as its wired to the ignition live) As soon as I turn on the ignition, the dash-cam switches itself on as it should, but after 10-15mins of driving it turns itself off, then back on and keeps on doing this loop and the battery low warning comes on and the battery shows empty. I've checked the power side of things, the lead, the hard wired fused end and double checked, everything is working fine, the lead will power my satnav & keep it charged fine also mobiles etc and a crappy Chinese dash cam (my 1st one with instructions only in chinese o_O) . So ok I thought, lets see what happens if I plug the lead straight into the dash-cam itself the socket on the top of the cam (Not via the GPS base) and it seems to be working fine, even charging up the battery and no shutting down on a loop.

Would you say the GPS mount is faulty???? But then if it is why does it work to power it up initially and then it shut down and fire up on a loop???

Confused :unsure::unsure::unsure:

What is your power source? Cigarette power adapter? Hardwire kit?

Are you powering it via a USB port of some kind?

I hardwired one of these (fused of course) into the car, then used the Dashcams supplied lead & plugged it in one of the sockets. Its been working fine for roughly 2 years with no problems........until now.1523292870718.png

I hardwired one of these (fused of course) into the car, then used the Dashcams supplied lead & plugged it in one of the sockets. Its been working fine for roughly 2 years with no problems........until now.View attachment 37413
What happens when you plug directly into your cars cigarette port, bypassing this accessory. It sounds like your camera isn't getting enough power to charge your camera battery AND power the camera properly at the same time. Once your camera battery runs down, your issues start.

I see what you're saying but....

Why would it only just start doing this after 2 yrs & why does it work fine when you plug directly into the dash cam itself & not the GPS base?????

Also I've had a meter on the hardwired one that I installed & it puts out the same power as the existing cig lighter.

Last edited:
Not sure. I assume the camera uses a little more power when going through the GPS. Maybe your dual port adapter kit has developed a fault. If you power the camera using the supplied cigarette adapter into your cars cigarette port (bypassing your accessory dual port kit) and the camera runs fine, then I would assume it the dual port accessory kit.

I've run it from the cars cig lighter as well and got the same result, so its not the power output (either of).

Maybe it's the original supplied cigarette adapter cable? Maybe the 12v to 5v converter is bad. Do you have another cable/adapter to try?

Errr.......... I'll have to have a look, see if I can find one.

Phone Nextbase support before you delve/spend more. This, or similar has been reported several times so they might be able to tell you what's wrong.

I hardwired one of these (fused of course) into the car, then used the Dashcams supplied lead & plugged it in one of the sockets. Its been working fine for roughly 2 years with no problems........until now.View attachment 37413
Maybe the 2year old battery is on it's last go around! Try a new battery.

Are the batteries user replaceable.

Possibly not by design, but there is almost always a way of doing it.:D

Odds are the battery inside is starting to inflate and it's what is causing your problems.

See what Nextbase say but if it's out of warranty crack the case open and see what battery spec is inside and whether you can find another of the same spec (the specs are usually printed on the battery).

You may need to be able to use a soldering iron though for the replacement.

Does it still do this after a 2 hour charge inside your home on the USB cable?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N 312GW 9
twin-k84 312GW 7
S 312GW 5
Back