Strange Rainbows in Your Dash Cam Videos?

You'll have to let us get on with that shield.

Whilst it may block some dashboard reflection I'm unconvinced it will remove the rainbow effect.

You'll have to let us get on with that shield.

Whilst it may block some dashboard reflection I'm unconvinced it will remove the rainbow effect.

As this thread explains in detail, the rainbow effect is caused by the combination of a CPL and window tint. While a small shield below the camera will not likely block reflections very effectively it will have nothing to do with the rainbows as long as there is no CPL used.

When I get a better car next year, I will get a new dash cam as well. And I will try something like this.
Why do you need a new car and a new dash cam to try this?

If a shield won't work well under your current camera, it won't work any better with a new one regardless of which camera or car you have.

A 12 inch wide piece of cardboard and tilting your camera too high is not a practical solution. Mounting a piece of cardboard or plastic even lower on your windshield is certainly not a practical solution either.

Last edited:
I use a CPL filter on my current dash cam, so I don't have problems with reflections now.
I don't want to remove the filter in order to try to solve a problem I don't currently have.

I use a CPL filter on my current dash cam, so I don't have problems with reflections now.
I don't want to remove the filter in order to try to solve a problem I don't currently have.

The CPL is only a problem if you have a tinted windshield, as this thread explains.

CPL filter makes night footage very dark. That is why I want to try removing reflections without the use of the CPL filter, on my next dash cam.

CPL filter makes night footage very dark. That is why I want to try removing reflections without the use of the CPL filter, on my next dash cam.

Why do you need a whole new dash cam to try not using a CPL? It is no big deal to temporarily remove your CPL if you want to experiment without it.

You still haven't answered the question of whether you have a tinted windshield. If not, then all of this has nothing to do with what this thread is about.

Last edited:
You're a bully, I get it. I am not going to do something I don't feel like doing, just because you want to force me to do it.
You mentioned the reflection problems yourself in the frist post, so I have right to write about it.
Good bye.

You're a bully, I get it. I am not going to do something I don't feel like doing, just because you want to force me to do it.
You mentioned the reflection problems yourself in the frist post, so I have right to write about it.
Good bye.

I see that you are a very new member here. This thread is a dedicated "sticky" devoted to a specific subject which in this case is about rainbows caused by the combination of a CPL and window tints. It is NOT a general thread about eliminating windshield reflections, even if reflections are part of the discussion.

If you want to post about windshield reflections then I would appreciate that you post to one of the other threads on the forum where reflections are the primary subject rather than derailing this thread with your off topic postings, that's all. I am not bullying you, I am merely trying to keep the thread on track.

Last edited:
Back