suddenly started chiming ~ every 40 seconds

wryliewhiley

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Went for a long drive yesterday. All normal between 11am & about 3pm. Then my A119 started chiming about every 40 seconds.

Inspecting the files by connecting the cam to PC by usb shows normal 3-minute files until 15:54 but then the next started 2 minutes later at 15:56 then 3 all at 15:57 then four at 15:58 and that pattern of blocks of four with the same times continued for the rest of the day.

Loop recording is on. The card is 64GB still has about 3Gig before it is full. I re-formatted in the cam in the car about 3 weeks ago. Format warning was off although I thought I set it at 60days.

Thx. Samsung EVO. 6 months old.
is it 633x?
how many times do you think the memory card got overwritten since it was formatted?
what resolution do you use?

I cannot see 633x on it and nothing like that in microscopic writing on the back. I do not believe it is a counterfeit. Orange/yellow color

Free space ... it now has 1.86 GB left. 57.7 used
I think it has been overwritten once since the last format.
Res is 1920X1080P 60fps

I cannot see 633x on it and nothing like that in microscopic writing on the back. I do not believe it is a counterfeit. Orange/yellow color
like this?
81VIGMongmL._SL1500.jpg

Went for a long drive yesterday. All normal between 11am & about 3pm. Then my A119 started chiming about every 40 seconds.

Inspecting the files by connecting the cam to PC by usb shows normal 3-minute files until 15:54 but then the next started 2 minutes later at 15:56 then 3 all at 15:57 then four at 15:58 and that pattern of blocks of four with the same times continued for the rest of the day.

Loop recording is on. The card is 64GB still has about 3Gig before it is full. I re-formatted in the cam in the car about 3 weeks ago. Format warning was off although I thought I set it at 60days.

This had happened to me when the Power connection to the GPS unit failed due to the poor design of Version 1 ( I had powered the camera through the GPS unit). When I connected the power directly to the camera, the situation corrected itself and the files were normal video files of the correct size. At the same time, applying something to mechanically stabilize the connection between the GPS unit and the camera worked to correct things for a while. Many people have offered suggestions on how to do that on other threads, and you can now buy EVA foam pads on Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/gp/B072DS2DW9 for the A119 which are said to correct the problem with the poorly designed connections between the camera and the GPS unit. If the issue is a failure of the GPS unit to properly power the camera, the best approach is to power the camera directly. You’ll still get the GPS information apparently, that is, if you’ve connected the camera to the GPS unit in the first place.

This had happened to me when the Power connection to the GPS unit failed due to the poor design of Version 1 ( I had powered the camera through the GPS unit). When I connected the power directly to the camera, the situation corrected itself and the files were normal video files of the correct size. At the same time, applying something to mechanically stabilize the connection between the GPS unit and the camera worked to correct things for a while. Many people have offered suggestions on how to do that on other threads, and you can now buy EVA foam pads on Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/gp/B072DS2DW9 for the A119 which are said to correct the problem with the poorly designed connections between the camera and the GPS unit. If the issue is a failure of the GPS unit to properly power the camera, the best approach is to power the camera directly. You’ll still get the GPS information apparently, that is, if you’ve connected the camera to the GPS unit in the first place.

As a matter of fact Smiley I obtained a "new improved" GPS unit a couple of weeks back and right away it fixed chiming issues which were not the same as I had yesterday. On the old GPS unit I had no file issues.

It is sounding as if the direct power connection and/or vibration stabilizing may be needed but the power to GPS connection is very neat and makes it simpler to remove the camera. I will wait a bit to see what others say.

Samsung EVO cards don't work in the A119. I have two of those cards that worked fine in a Mini0805 and a Transcend DP200. They don't work in either of my A119 cameras.

Samsung EVO cards don't work in the A119. I have two of those cards that worked fine in a Mini0805 and a Transcend DP200. They don't work in either of my A119 cameras.
Funny, Samsung Evo (64gb) are the only cards I've ever used in my two a119 cameras and I've never had a single problem. One of them has been going over a year now since it was a pre-production version.

I bought a Samsung EVO Select 64GB about a month ago to try out and it's been fine in both the A119 and A119S for a few weeks so far.

Funny, Samsung Evo (64gb) are the only cards I've ever used in my two a119 cameras and I've never had a single problem. One of them has been going over a year now since it was a pre-production version.

Yes. While waiting for my A119 to arrive I researched cards & the EVO 64 was recommended.

Further to my thread-starter post #1, I cleaned the contacts and re-formatted and left the cam connected through my supposedly "new improved" GPS unit and that did not fix the frequent chiming . Therefore I re-connected direct to the cam and all is well so I will leave it at that. Strange how the "new improved" GPS unit was ok for a while. I wonder if I was sent an old GPS unit as replacement?

Yes. While waiting for my A119 to arrive I researched cards & the EVO 64 was recommended.

Further to my thread-starter post #1, I cleaned the contacts and re-formatted and left the cam connected through my supposedly "new improved" GPS unit and that did not fix the frequent chiming . Therefore I re-connected direct to the cam and all is well so I will leave it at that. Strange how the "new improved" GPS unit was ok for a while. I wonder if I was sent an old GPS unit as replacement?

V1 camera will only work with a V1 GPS

Hmm joklin. I received my "new improved" GPS unit direct from Viofo after telling them of my chiming issue & they did not ask if my cam was V1.
The fact that the GPS unit was ok at the start is suggesting a poor contact/vibration cause. I am using the latest firmware, updated from the version
the cam came with.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B A119 2
Back